the diet coke question

Options
Since last night I have not had a diet coke for at least 2 months, while watching a movie last night I had some sun chips and a diet coke, I didn't even get to finish the snack before I started to feel sick to my stomach and it took everything I could not to throw up.
so is diet coke really that bad I'm not here to judge but anything I eat and it makes sick before I can finish I'm taking it off my snack list.

Replies

• losingnow
    Options
    U know I had a diet coke yesterday and have been nauseous since. bad batch of diet coke? Never had this reaction to it before.
  • june_warner
    june_warner Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Soda in general is not good for you. I haven't had soda in 3 1/2 years. I was hooked on diet soda especially. It has aspertame in it and it is not good for you at all. I would suggest this web site sweetpoison.com. You will never want to consume a diet soda again and take aspertame out of your diet completly. Your body was rejecting it, and thats a good sign to stop drinking it. Hope this helps
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    If I remember right, the following was a large study done on thousands of women over 25+ years.....

Drink your water, green tea, water w/ a spritz of juice, an occassional glass of red wine . . . . and you will be much better off. Diet is not good for you.

Diet soda associated with loss off kidney function
    Reported by: Barbara Smith
    Last Update: 7/23 7:58 pm

Print Story | ShareThis

Diet cola (Scott Hums, ABC 4 News)
    SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) -Diet soda is popular with thirsty people trying to avoid calories. But a new study shows drinking two or more a day could decrease kidney function.

Diet soda accounts for a quarter of all pop sales. But a Harvard study released at the American Society of Nephrology meeting gives news reason for concern about how much people drink on a daily basis. The study of more than three thousand women found those who drank even a couple a day saw a reduction in kidney function. Dr. Terrence Bjordahl, who practices nephrology at the University of Utah says “it was only associated with two sodas or more, any less than that was not associated with the progression of kidney disease.”

The serving size was either a glass, can, or bottle of diet soda. Of the women in the study, 11.4 percent had a kidney function decline. The decline was 30-percent or more. The study spanned eleven years. Some decline in kidney function is normal as people age. Dr. Bjordahl says “you would expect a five to ten percent decline and this was a thirty percent change in kidney function, so it was fairly dramatic.”

The loss of kidney function can be serious. The kidneys process your blood, sifting out waste products and water. If the kidneys stop functioning Dr. Bjordahl says the best options are a transplant or dialysis. He says thirteen percent of American adults already have kidney disease. Limiting soda intake is a good idea he says, but there are other bigger concerns. “The major cause of kidney disease, and the progression of kidney disease, is from diabetes and hypertension and high blood pressure.”

Those are the risks associated with heart disease and stroke. Other studies have drawn a correlation between diet soda and an increased risk for heart attack stroke, diabetes, and weight gain. Dr. Bjordahl says more study is needed before a direct correlation can be made between diet soda and lowered kidney function.
    Copyright 2010 Newport Television LLC All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • MyFitnessGuy
    Options
    Yeah, ditch the soda. That stuff is horrible for you! "Google" the negative affects soda has on your body and once you really look into it you won't ever put that junk in your system ever again.

There are MUCH better choices out there.
  • cathscott
    cathscott Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Something tells me I had better knock my diet cocke addiction into touch! I live off the stuff!!!!!!
  • BroiledNotFried
    Options
    I was so addicted to Diet Coke. I'd drink 3 or 4 a day. So much, that my teeth would start to hurt.

At first, I switched to seltzer water with a splash of whole cranberry juice. It helped me get over the Diet Coke. Now, I have likely drank 1 diet coke since January. Juices, green tea, herbal tea, etc. And, a cup of hot tea at 4:00 is a real hunger buster, as is a hot cup of herbal tea in the late evening. And, you can add a little bit of Agave Necter to the tea and you will not miss the Diet Coke.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Soda in general is not good for you. I haven't had soda in 3 1/2 years. I was hooked on diet soda especially. It has aspertame in it and it is not good for you at all. I would suggest this web site sweetpoison.com. You will never want to consume a diet soda again and take aspertame out of your diet completly. Your body was rejecting it, and thats a good sign to stop drinking it. Hope this helps

I'm on the edge of becoming a health food nut, I just can't turn my back on red meat and I eat a ton of chicken, Junk food I can live without I only had the coke and chips because it was date night and that's what she brought out next time I'll just turn it down.
  • AshPolette717
    Options
    I drink 1 diet dr pepper a day, I know I shouldnt but i like the flavor and the caffnine before work. is that bad :(
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Ok, so normal soda has too much sugar in it, diet soda can give you liver issues, "vitamin water" has mega sugar just like regular soda, juices you buy are generally high in sugar and quite often preservatives so what are you supposed to drink when you are out and about and have had enough water?
  • blakejohn
    Options
    Ok, so normal soda has too much sugar in it, diet soda can give you liver issues, "vitamin water" has mega sugar just like regular soda, juices you buy are generally high in sugar and quite often preservatives so what are you supposed to drink when you are out and about and have had enough water?

Carrot Juice I guess
  • blakejohn
    Options

carrort juice I guess
  • blakejohn
    Options

carrot juice I guess
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Find unsweetened tea or juices that are clearly labeled as 100% juice. Also, I think the no cal version of SoBe's LifeWater is sweetened with stevia, so if you don't have a problem with stevia, you can try that.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

I'm on the edge of becoming a health food nut, I just can't turn my back on red meat and I eat a ton of chicken, Junk food I can live without I only had the coke and chips because it was date night and that's what she brought out next time I'll just turn it down.

Your better off being a health food nut!!!

I am one also...............I don't believe in the "everything in moderation" mentality. To me, it is an enabler's attitude.

I must add that if you are eating Grass Fed Beef it is actually good for you!!! I only eat farm raised meats and eggs and get them local from a local butcher shop.

My mantra is..............if it is had a mamma or it grows in the ground, then I eat it..............If it comes from a box, then I don't.

P.S. - I hope this thread DOES NOT open...................

canworms.jpg&h=94&w=94&usg=__0tspzKrvPS07WkzBOVXDjWygHfg=
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

I drink water, water and more water.......................Tea (hot and cold), coffee (plain black) and from time to time I do enjoy a Zevia soda.

It is pretty natural and is sweetened with Stevia. I like the orange and root beer.
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    Experiement with different teas, and you can sweaten them with stevia or agave nectar.... there ARE other things to drink besides water, but honestly, water is the best for you and most folks dont drink near enough of it.
  • june_warner
    june_warner Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When I go out I drink unsweetened tea and I bring my own sweetener (Stevia). Otherwise I drink water and milk. I don't like juice but you can drink 100% juice (8oz a day). Once your body doesn't have the junk in your body you feel much better and you don't want to put the junk back in.
  • BroiledNotFried
    Options
    Water, topped with either orange juice or cranberry juice or lemon juice or lime juice...

You can also do those fuzzy waters too, with a juice splash.

I now find that Diet Sodas taste like acid.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I quit my one-a-day Diet Coke habit almost a year ago. Once in awhile, I will have one, and I'm so bloated afterward. Ick! :sick: Whenever I get a craving for it, I try to remind myself of that feeling. I quickly dismiss the craving, and drink my water. :drinker: :drinker:
  • metizzy2
    metizzy2 Posts: 122
    Options
    Find unsweetened tea or juices that are clearly labeled as 100% juice. Also, I think the no cal version of SoBe's LifeWater is sweetened with stevia, so if you don't have a problem with stevia, you can try that.

You would be surprised at how much sugar is in "100%" juice. There is no nutritional value in it, unless it is fresh squeezed.