Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Give me your daily burn

Hi
Can you please just give me the number / estimate - how many calories do you burn per day, or week. I have no idea if my goal should be 200, 300, 500, or 1000! :frown:

Am I active enough, should I do more, should I eat more and burn more.... AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

It would really help me to know what is the average. (I know we all have different goals, bodies, metabolisam, etc...)

Thanks

Replies

• daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    This week mine has been 2,880 ( assuming it's right...)
    I've cut back because I haven't lost in two weeks ( as suggested on a MFP board post) . Hopefully it'll help.
    Crossing fingers!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Well, according to the readouts on the machines, which I don't particularly trust because they don't have you enter your age and weight, I burn 600-700 per day on cardio, and then I also do an hour per day of strength training, mostly with kettlebells...so maybe that's at least 1000? I think I do more exercise per day than most people on here, but it works for me.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    do you mean total daily burn or total exercise burn?
    so far this week my daily burns have been 2875-3375 according to my BodyMedia Fit - i try to walk 4.5 miles/day, i just started jillian michaels body revolution, and im doing a weight lifting program. i dont have a battery for my HRM right now but the BMF says i burn 200-350 per workout, so my exercise burns would be 400-700/day. that doesnt include my walks though, i dont do them for exercise really...just getting my kids to/from school
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Here's the deal...you don't actually need "burn" from exercise. With MFP, you have a calorie goal with a calorie goal that includes a weight loss deficit...If you've picked 2 lbs per week (typical) then it's a pretty huge deficit of calories from maintenance without any exercise whatsoever.

MFP is a NEAT method calculator...the benefit here is that exercise is extra activity with a NEAT method calculator. If you've set your activity level properly, it should NOT include exercise...exercise is extra with MFP and other NEAT method calculators. You will note that when you exercise and log it, MFP will up your calorie goal...this is because of what I just explained...so if you burn 1000 calories per day, you should be able to eat that back...essentially, you'd be training like an athlete at that point.

You don't have to do **** tons and **** tons of exercise...it isn't necessary and a lot of people burn out and over train. Set fitness goals that are independent of calorie burn and weight loss and you will have a much better idea of what you should be doing day to day because you'll be training for an actual purpose and to achieve an actual fitness goal. If all you're training for is calorie burn...well, that's usually not enough motivation for most.

On average, someone with a pretty decent and intelligent fitness plan will burn 300-500 calories per day with exercise. Chances are, if you're burning more than 500 per day, you are either over-training or you're an athlete training for an event/sport, etc. Also, a lot of people grossly over-estimate their calorie burns...I see all kinds of outlandish **** on this site. A HRM is good for aerobic activity, but still just an estimate...I think Polar's were tested to be about 70% accurate for calorie burn during an aerobic event. Another good rule of thumb is roughly 100 calories per mile or mile equivalent. As you can see, to get a really huge burn is pretty difficult...this is why trying to create a deficit of calories through exercise is highly in-efficient.

Use your diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I don't have any way of knowing really, but I'd guess probably 300-500 per day, depending on my workout. Sometimes more on the weekends when the weather is nice.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    I burn about 300 cals/day on exercise unless I'm going for a long run. As cwolfman said, calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness.... Instead of shooting for a burn number, pick a goal. Do you want to bench press 150lbs? Run a marathon? Climb a mountain? Train for your goal, and compensate as needed to achieve your calorie deficit through your diet.
  • oliviabog
    oliviabog Posts: 101
    Anywhere between 600-1,300 a day depending on the length of my runs, wether i circuit train and if I'm walking.
  • Tanana66
    Tanana66 Posts: 84 Member
    do you mean total daily burn or total exercise burn?
    so far this week my daily burns have been 2875-3375 according to my BodyMedia Fit - i try to walk 4.5 miles/day, i just started jillian michaels body revolution, and im doing a weight lifting program. i dont have a battery for my HRM right now but the BMF says i burn 200-350 per workout, so my exercise burns would be 400-700/day. that doesnt include my walks though, i dont do them for exercise really...just getting my kids to/from school

I meant exercise burn.
    Wow, nifty gadget you have there! I like the idea of knowing your total daily calorie expenditure. Been thinking of getting Polar hrm.
    Thanks
  • Tanana66
    Here's the deal...you don't actually need "burn" from exercise. With MFP, you have a calorie goal with a calorie goal that includes a weight loss deficit...If you've picked 2 lbs per week (typical) then it's a pretty huge deficit of calories from maintenance without any exercise whatsoever.

MFP is a NEAT method calculator...the benefit here is that exercise is extra activity with a NEAT method calculator. If you've set your activity level properly, it should NOT include exercise...exercise is extra with MFP and other NEAT method calculators. You will note that when you exercise and log it, MFP will up your calorie goal...this is because of what I just explained...so if you burn 1000 calories per day, you should be able to eat that back...essentially, you'd be training like an athlete at that point.

You don't have to do **** tons and **** tons of exercise...it isn't necessary and a lot of people burn out and over train. Set fitness goals that are independent of calorie burn and weight loss and you will have a much better idea of what you should be doing day to day because you'll be training for an actual purpose and to achieve an actual fitness goal. If all you're training for is calorie burn...well, that's usually not enough motivation for most.

On average, someone with a pretty decent and intelligent fitness plan will burn 300-500 calories per day with exercise. Chances are, if you're burning more than 500 per day, you are either over-training or you're an athlete training for an event/sport, etc. Also, a lot of people grossly over-estimate their calorie burns...I see all kinds of outlandish **** on this site. A HRM is good for aerobic activity, but still just an estimate...I think Polar's were tested to be about 70% accurate for calorie burn during an aerobic event. Another good rule of thumb is roughly 100 calories per mile or mile equivalent. As you can see, to get a really huge burn is pretty difficult...this is why trying to create a deficit of calories through exercise is highly in-efficient.

Use your diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.

Thanks a bunch. That answers a lot of my questions.
    It is true - I don't have goal. I just want to be fit and have fun. And lose last 10-15 pounds.
    I walk to work and back = 4.5miles 5x a week, I go to zumba class 4x, play badminton 2x, work with trainer 1x, and 1x on my own.
    I think I burn 300 - 500 every day.
    MFP is set to 1200 a day + exercise burn so I try to stick to that. I am just confused to see people saying they are 5' tall and eat 3000cal a day. ??? The only explanation would be they work their butts off burning well over 1000cal.

MFP is giving me 600cal for 1 hour of zumba!! No way! I log it as 300cal.
    And 260cal for 4.5m walk. I was hoping Polar would be more accurate.
  • nuttingh
    nuttingh Posts: 65
    My average this week has been 700-750 calories per day. That is according to the elliptical, which I have my age and weight entered in. I usually aim for 500 calories burned per day if I am doing cardio. If I do strength training or yoga, I usually don't weigh it too heavily.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    you're going to lose weight based on your calorie deficit, not how much you burn doing exercise. burning 300 calories while walking is the same and not eating the biscuit in the Popeyes 2pc special. Use your exercise time to get better at something instead of chasing an artificial number and make sure you're eating in a deficit.
  • Tanana66
    you're going to lose weight based on your calorie deficit, not how much you burn doing exercise. burning 300 calories while walking is the same and not eating the biscuit in the Popeyes 2pc special. Use your exercise time to get better at something instead of chasing an artificial number and make sure you're eating in a deficit.

Ok, but that would give me 1250 calories a day (with a food deficit of 500c) - I don't think that is sustainable long term.
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    I lift 3 times per week. My HRM can get over 400 cals in the hour, but they're not in the slightest bit accurate when you're strength training. When I do an Insanity: Asylum workout (also 3 times per week), I can rack up 400-900 cals in 40-60 minutes.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

Ok, but that would give me 1250 calories a day (with a food deficit of 500c) - I don't think that is sustainable long term.

That goal is pretty low. Did you tell MFP you're sedentary? Put in 2 lbs per week as a goal?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

^Read this. Like everyone else said, calorie deficit is for weight loss. Exercise is for fitness. You are doing a ton of exercise right now imo. Make sure you're eating enough to support it (eat back most of your exercise calories).

You should have MFP set to lose .5 lbs/week because you don't have a lot of weight to lose.
  • Tanana66

That goal is pretty low. Did you tell MFP you're sedentary? Put in 2 lbs per week as a goal?

I did say sedentary because I do have desk job but in the exercise I put 5x 60 min per week. And I opted to lose 1 pound a week. Probably too optimistic.
  • Tanana66
    Anyone else happy to share how much they burn in a day on excercise?
  • MrsAvent79
    MrsAvent79 Posts: 18
    My total burn for the day is always over 2700.

If I sit and do NOTHING for the day, then I burn around 2400, but I like doing more as a bonus... the most calories I burnt in one day is just over 6,000.. but that day I was active for 6 hours.. (I don't recommend that.. I was toast the next day!)

The bodymedia tells you exactly how many calories you burn all day. I highly suggest it. If you have any questions I would be happy to help :)
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Everyone is diff and it depends on your activity levels. With no exercise my body tends to burn between 2500-3000 calories. I usually exercise enough to burn another 800-1300 a day depending on how long I do it. The beauty about MFP is you can test this all the time. Just tweak with your goal calories and you will see pretty quickly at what it will take for you to gain, lose or maintain weight. Hope this helps.