Quitting Smoking and Losing Weight

Options
So,
I've decided to take that step and quit smoking. My concern is, I've heard that you gain weight when you quit (which is why I've put it off). Is anyone trying to quit smoking and lose weight at the same time? I would love to hear some pointers. I'm ready to kick this habit to the curb for good!

Replies

• lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    Hiya, i'm planning to quit smoking too! I gave up when I was 19, cold turkey, for 7 years, then this past december took it up again and smoke 10 a day (sometimes more). I know I won't be able to do it like that this time, as I live with my boyfriend who smokes, so i've bought Allen Carr's book 'easy way to stop smoking' from ebay, it should turn up tomorrow, it's meant to be really good (check out the amazon reviews). Apparently you smoke whilst you read the book, and when you finish, you just don't want to smoke anymore, sounds too good to be true!

I'm thinking of maybe getting some sugar free lollies (like chupa chups ones) to satisfy my oral fixation when I feel like smoking!
    Good luck, hopefully we'll both kick the evil (and expensive!) habit :)
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I would also like to quit smoking but it is difficult because I only smoke a few a day (I won't smoke at work) and it helps suppress my appetite. I have also heard about the Easy Way to Quit Smoking and I would like to try it. It is difficult to kill all of your big vices at one time, but they are both very important. I think sugarless gum helps also but if your a heavy smoker, you may want to try Nicorette. The only thing about that though, is that it's almost more expensive than smoking and you still crave the nicotine. My sister quit smoking for 6 years but still chewed Nicorette every day and spent as much as she would've on cigarettes. Everything works different for everyone.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking almost 7 years ago (quit cold turkey on Turkey day 2002!), and I actually lost about 10 more lbs. I had quit smoking because it was either keep smoking and barely able to afford food (I was diagnosed with Celiac's and the only things I could eat were fresh fruits, veggies & meats at the time) or quit smoking and spend the $30 extra a week to buy real food. My fiance (boyfriend at the time) also told me after I quit that he was happy I did because he was worried about cancer and my long term health. Amazing what happens when you eat well, exercise and maintain health.
    I didn't gain back any weight until about 2 years ago, but that was my fault (see my profile story). I would recommend getting with a nutritionaist to go over you food and see if there are some things you may need to add or remove, as your body digests and processes food differently without nicotine. Also, something that you may want to buy stock in is either toothpicks or gum (or both): your hand to mouth is so conditioned on a subconcious level that this is where most people gain weight: they substitute food, candy, snacks for cigs and if you eat 20-30 pieces of candy per day, your body will balloon, no matter how healthy you think you're eating!
    I wish you best of luck, and if you need that little extra support from a recovering smoker (it's like alcohol or drugs, you're always a recovering since the temptation is there) I'm here for any of you who need it :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Oh, in response to the Nicorette, my brother who also quit about 5 years ago still chews it: even though we both smoked for over 15 years, I was able to find another vice (exercise and healthy food) but he still needs the nicotine to stabalize. It just goes to show that everyone is different, even within their own family :tongue:
  • dfwtxmissy
    dfwtxmissy Posts: 102
    Options
    I am losing weight and using Chantix prescribed by my doctor. So far so good...everyone is different. Do what is best for you.
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    Im working on both right now. Each person has to do what works for them but my personal experience wants to say stay away from Chantix! I took it two weeks and started having MAJOR panic attacks ( diagnosed after being admitted to the hospital two separate times in a week to be monitored over night to make sure I wasnt having a heart attack or stroke. Three months later Im still having to take meds to prevent me from nocturnal anxiety disorder ( panic attacks that wake you from a sound sleep) This never happened before the Chantix so Im horrified of it!
    Whats working for me is the electronic cigarette. You charge it with a usb and the tip lights up red and a harmless vapor is emitted when you puff. Its like pretend smoking LOL!
    You can do it! Just take it a day at a time and follow your 1200 calories a day here and you will be fine :)
    Best of luck to you and feel free to add me if youd like the support system :)
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I was not a heavy smoker 3 to 4 smokes a day so when i quit I used sugerless gum and lots of running, because I didn't smoke that much quitting was not so hard but I still had withdraws and I did eat a little more but for me it was only about a week.
    Good luck quiting is one of the hardest things you'll ever do but once you quit you'll feel so much better

Stay Healthy
  • vvspartanmom
    Options
    I wonder if every time you felt like smoking, you went for a walk instead. I've thought this would be a great way for me to quit, because I've always been afraid of gaining more. I can't afford to gain more!!!
  • DanL66712
    DanL66712 Posts: 135
    Options
    I too am going to quit smoking - actually I was thinking about starting a topic on it this morning on the way to work, but you beat me to it! Great minds and all that.

I'm quite a heavy smoker (up to 20 a day) so it could be quite hard, but I am really determined to actually do it this time. Need to set a quit date - maybe we could all do it together?
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    I was smoking 30-40 a day (expensive habit!) and quit July 21st/ I promise if it werent for this site I would be eating everything in site! Of youre doing MFP and accountable for everything that goes in your mouth, NOW is the best time to quit and not worry about gaining because of it!
  • Jolauer
    Jolauer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I quit smoking 25 years ago, I started running and lost 10 pounds. Good luck. It's more important that you quit smoking than it is to loose weight, so I just encourage you to be as active as you can. Drinking orange juice helped me when I had a nicotine fit too.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I quit 3 years ago W/Chantix. Great stuff, worked like magic. I did gain 25 pounds over the following year, and that's how I got fat & miserable & desperate enough to google "free calorie counter" and wind up here. So glad I did.

I'm sure it can be done, and I wish you success. Just do what you have to do and forgive yourself when you screw it up and keep at it. You can do it.
  • lauz45
    Options
    Whats working for me is the electronic cigarette. You charge it with a usb and the tip lights up red and a harmless vapor is emitted when you puff. Its like pretend smoking LOL!

That actually sounds good! For me I like the 'ritual' of smoking, so I might check that out!

My book still hasn't arrived :(
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    Yep get you an e smoke and puff with your boyfriend...then convince him to switch over too! I think Im going to get one more pk of the low nicotince ones and then go to the NO's which then it will be ONLY a fixation! LOL!
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    Yep get you an e smoke and puff with your boyfriend...then convince him to switch over too! I think Im going to get one more pk of the low nicotince ones and then go to the NO's which then it will be ONLY a fixation! LOL!
  • lauz45
    Options
    My Allen Carr book arrived today so going to try that first, my boyfriend said it it works for me he'll read it too, and he's super skeptical :) (sceptical? I've completely forgotten how to spell the word!) so fingers crossed! I worked alongside a middle aged man today who smokes, his breathing confirmed my desire to quit!
  • lauz45
    Options
    Finished the book (i'm a super quick reader) and just smoked my last cigarette! From now, I am no longer a smoker, and I plan to enjoy it!

Lets see if I feel that way this time tomorrow! :indifferent:
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    Way to go!!! You can soooo do this!! Now Im curious what this book said???
  • lauz45
    Options
    Thank you! So far so good :) It just kind of reaffirms what you already know about smoking, but it helped me to understand why I feel I need to smoke, and explains more about the 'empty' feeling you get from nicotine withdrawal. It just made me believe that I can do this, and cope with any situation.

I stood outside the plumbing centre earlier chatting to a colleague who i'd never met before, who was smoking, and normally i'd have reached for my cigarettes without a second thought, but it was fine :happy:
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    Thank you! So far so good :) It just kind of reaffirms what you already know about smoking, but it helped me to understand why I feel I need to smoke, and explains more about the 'empty' feeling you get from nicotine withdrawal. It just made me believe that I can do this, and cope with any situation.

I stood outside the plumbing centre earlier chatting to a colleague who i'd never met before, who was smoking, and normally i'd have reached for my cigarettes without a second thought, but it was fine :happy:

Good for you!! Im so proud of you!!