Pre-Workouts

Options
eclong
eclong Posts: 12 Member
Does anyone know of any good (and affordable) stimulant free pre-workout formula? Also, is there a huge benefits from using them?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I avoid pre-workouts like the plague. But if I took one, I'm not sure what the benefit of taking one without a stimulant would be. Isn't that sort of the point?
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Any kind of fruit, seriously. Make a fruit smoothie and sip it on the way to the gym.
  • FineFitFatty
    Options
    Any kind of fruit, seriously. Make a fruit smoothie and sip it on the way to the gym.

Ahhh! No! So much sugar and carbs, if you're going the weight loss route. I just have coffee since I go first thing in the morning... if you don't like coffee, maybe green tea?
  • Fit_Natasha
    Fit_Natasha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to work out on empty stomach in the mornings. But on the days when I feel like I need some energy, I might have (depends how I feel)
    - apple
    - coffee (no sugar, no milk)
    - green tea with fresh ginger, mint and lemon (I found this gives me more energy than coffee)
    - half of banana if I am doing long run
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I might have almond butter on a piece of toast or a banana at most. I get powerful stitches if I eat too close to working out (comes of trying to get enough oxygen to muscles while simultaneously trying to get enough oxygen to the digestive system). I'd recommend just a little to keep you from being famished.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Ahhh! No! So much sugar and carbs, if you're going the weight loss route. I just have coffee since I go first thing in the morning... if you don't like coffee, maybe green tea?

Carbs are a good thing to have before a workout. The sugars is a smoothy might be an issue because you tend to eat more fruit when it's in liquid. But I agree as a pre workout it would give you a boost. I also like having a coffee in the morning before a workout.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Carbs are a good thing to have before a workout. The sugars is a smoothy might be an issue because you tend to eat more fruit when it's in liquid. But I agree as a pre workout it would give you a boost. I also like having a coffee in the morning before a workout.
    This. you need some energy to work out. I usually either do fruit or a piece of toast with a nut butter.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options

I use 1 cup of frozen strawberries (about 4-5 berries) and half a fresh banana, plus water to make it blend; turns into a nice milkshake type consistency.

I tried to make a smoothie with fresh fruit before and it's like no matter how much I put in there, it seemed like it was nothing, turned it into fruit water. So, I understand what you're saying with possibly eating too much fruit.

To OP: Main fruit of your smoothie, make sure it's frozen.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with sugar specifically or carbs generally if you're going the weight loss route.
  • eclong
    eclong Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I usually go on an empty stomach in the morning but sometimes get tired, I'll probably start having a banana or black coffee before hand. Afternoons are no big deal for me, it's just the morning fasted cardio that gets me sometime. Thanks for all your advice :)
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    yes, some caffeine and some carbs is all you need
    too many chemicals in pre-workouts for me