protein shake on rest days

Options
Hi all,

Can anyone advice me please on when to have protein shakes please?

I've started adding protein shakes into my diet this week, and have had one after my gym sessions when I've been lifting. Today I'm having a rest day from weights, but have done a 5k run, and I'm not intending to anything else very strenuous today.

Should I continue and have a shake today, or only use this on weight days?

Thanks for your help

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    If you can meet your macros with food then there is no need. I usually don't have a shake on my rest days bc I can meet my goal on food alone.
  • jessicadawn1978
    jessicadawn1978 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help. I should have mentioned I'm pescatarian so sometimes struggle with protein. I'll keep an eye on the macros and plan to try meeting them naturally if I can.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I usually only have a protein shake when I don't get enough protein from food (which is often as I don't eat a lot of protein rich foods). Sometimes that means I have one on rest days, sometimes not. Sometimes, if I get enough protein from food, I don't even have a protein shake on workout days. You should only have protein shakes on days you think you will be under your protein goal with just food. If that includes a rest day, have one then as well.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have mine for breakfast a lot of times on rest days because I've turned it into a source of lots of nutrition. I use berries, almond milk, ground flax seed, and lots of spinach in addition to the protein powder.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I have mine for breakfast a lot of times on rest days because I've turned it into a source of lots of nutrition. I use berries, almond milk, ground flax seed, and lots of spinach in addition to the protein powder.

I'm not familar with pescatarian but the idea above is a great one. I usually just have powder on the go but this sounds like it could help you meet your macros and be filling.
  • fxgs
    fxgs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm not familar with pescatarian................................
    [/quote]

Pescetarianism /ˌpɛskɨˈtɛəriən/ (also spelled pescatarianism) is the practice of a diet that includes seafood, but not the flesh of other animals. A pescetarian diet shares many of its components with a vegetarian diet and includes vegetables, fruit, nuts, grains, beans, eggs, and dairy, but unlike a vegetarian diet also includes fish and shellfish. The Merriam-Webster dictionary dates the origin of the term "pescetarian" to 1993 and defines it as: "one whose diet includes fish but no other meat."[1]
  • jessicadawn1978
    jessicadawn1978 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Thanks everyone for your advice and I'll definitely try out the above thank you.