Breakfast Ideas

Options
Does anyone have any breakfast ideas? I am getting tired of oatmeal, eggs, cereal and turkey sausage. It does not have to be anything fancy or large just something different that taste good.

Replies

• recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese with fruit (blueberries, strawberries are good)

Yogurt with slivered almonds

Ryvita crackers with low fat cream cheese

Cornmeal with dollop of low fat sour cream or jam
  • PammyKY
    PammyKY Posts: 129
    Options
    Thanks will give some of those a try. Unfortunatley I don't like cottage cheese or cornmeal. I do like yogurt and probably should give more fruits and try.
  • WifenMom
    WifenMom Posts: 40
    Options
    They have whole wheat French Toast at Trader Joe's that is pretty good! And then you can have some sugar free syrup? I believe they have whole wheat waffles too ..those would be good too w/ sugar free syrup and some strawberries or blueberries?
    Hope that helps!
  • PammyKY
    PammyKY Posts: 129
    Options
    I wish I had a traders Joe here in my area but the closest one to me is in Ohio. I will check my local grocery store to see if I can find whole wheat waffles and pancakes. With regards to the low sugar syrup I may just use regular syrup but just use less of it.

I am one of those people that prefer to have the real thing. I just need to learn that if I am going to have the real thing I need to limit how much of it I use.

Thanks for you help
  • VenturaGurl
    VenturaGurl Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I like plain greek yogurt with about 1 tsp. brown sugar and a drizzle of vanilla, mixed well. Then I top it with whatever fruit I have at home. The brown sugar and vanilla make the greek yogurt really smooth and it's very filling.

I also enjoy 1/2 double fiber english muffin with a little peanut butter and fruit on top. Also very filling.

Amy
  • tamtam61
    Options
    Delicious smoothie: 1 scoop EAS whey protein (vanilla); 1 cup vanilla soy milk (makes it taste richer); 1/4 cup frozen blueberries; 3-4 frozen strawberries! YUM YUM!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been eating egg sandwiches (in Orowheat Fill'ems). Scrambled whole egg, or egg substitute, alone or with a sprinkle of cheese if I have a long day ahead. They'd be good with a diced ounce of ham, or with a bit of diced onion.

Yesterday, a peach, two graham crackers and a piece of string cheese......

Hummus, garlic stuffed olives, bell pepper slices.

Whole wheat tortilla filled with thinly sliced cabbage, green onion slices, a sprinkle of peanuts and Newman's GInger-Sesame dressing (low fat)....
  • mm3898
    mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    What I like to do is eat non-breakfast items for breakfast: Veggie burger over brown rice.... Baked sweet potato w/ steamed broccoli and feta (which I haven't had in forever but YUM!!!) ... Mix it up and listen to your *healthy* cravings!

Best of luck!
    xoxo
    Maggie
  • Pinky_Calhoun
    Pinky_Calhoun Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Vitatop, Chai Tea and a boiled egg
    Cheese Toast (Ezekiel bread & Muenster cheese)
    Ezekiel Toast with jam and Dannon Honey Greek Yogurt
  • LaSirena29
    Options
    One of my most favorite quick & easy breakfast is to bake an egg inside a tomato. It throws together really easy, you can do lots of variations and cook it in toaster oven. I've had someone tell me you can do it in a microwave too, but I haven't tried that. I usually put mine in the toaster oven & go ride my stationary bike or finish getting ready for work while it bakes.

The basic recipe is to take 1 tomato, slice the top off & scoop out the seeds & pulp. Put the tomato in a shallow bowl (I just make a little foil dish for it - less dishes to wash). Sprinkle the inside with s&p and any spices. Crack one egg into the tomato and bake at 425ºF. 20 minutes for soft yolks, 30 to 35 minutes for hard yolks.

I always look for large tomatoes, so I can add extra egg white. I also like to include little add-in's, usually using leftover veggies & cheese. You barely add any at all, so it doesn't add much in the way of calories. If we roasted vegetables the night before, I'll save a couple of pieces to add...just 1 piece of broccoli, a small chunk of carrot, etc. chopped up & put in tomato before adding the eggs. Sometimes I'll add a few crumbles of feta or half a Laughing Cow wedge.

By playing with the spices and veggie & cheese add-in's, you can get a lot of different combinations.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, try some "Non-Traditional" Breakfasts. Pizza, or Sandwiches might be good. Or, I have saved Dinner leftovers and warmed them for breakast. It could be anything from casseroles to meat loaf.
  • Sevenm
    Sevenm Posts: 7
    Options
    I eat a variation on the same thing almost daily because I love it AND it's super healthy. I make my own granola when I have time which has mainly the same ingredients but with pureed dates mixed with oatmeal and baked at low heat in the oven and then the other ingredients added but when I don't have time I just have this...
    1/2 cup oatmeal with water zapped for 90 seconds in the microwave
    Then add...
    half diced banana
    about 1/3 cup of frozen blueberries (fresh when available)
    small amount of sunflower seeds
    half dozen almonds
    half dozen walnuts
    small amount of goji berries
    cinnamon
    ground flax
    small amount of dried cranberries
    soy milk

I warm it up for a bit in the microwave and eat

It super easy because most of the ingredients are in jars on my counter and I just dump some in. The flax and blueberries are two feet away in the fridge freezer.
    I vary it slightly like today when I have lots of fresh fruit I added fresh raspberries and a few strawberries.
    So easy, So delicious, So healthy and I don't feel like crap after I eat as I do after the high cholesteral, high fat alternatives.
    This represents about 30% + of my daily calories as I like to eat a slightly bigger breakfast, less lunch and dinner. I should just be starting to feel hungry when I go to bed. This way I lose weight everyday and enjoy my breakfast even more!
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    My favorite (and quickest!) breakfast is: an english muffin, a slice of american cheese, and a morning star sausage patty.

The muffin goes in the toaster, the sausage cooks for 45 seconds in the microwave, and the cheese melts when I put it all together. :) It's fabulous, and I eat it every day I have a morning shift at work!
  • Rivalee
    Rivalee Posts: 22
    Options
    I am sooo excited about that egg idea in the tomato - am sooo going to try it!
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Try a wedge of Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese between 2 slices of toasted whole wheat bread. OR one Eggo Multigrain Waffle with sugar free syrup and berries on top. I think the multigrain has less calories than whole wheat.