6 mo Success - Low Carb with pic

Options
Hi Folks,
As so many of these success posts have motivated me, I hope to return the favor.
I started Low-Carb/Keto in January 2013 at 240lbs 28%ish BF with a goal to get to 210. Then I refined that goal to 200. Then I refined it to 190. Today I'm at 196.4 / 17.4ish% BF and still working on it. I'd ultimately like to get to the point where the remnants of that belly fat are gone.

The low carb/keto has really worked for me. I've really felt like this is a lifestyle I can maintain indefinitely. I exercise about once per week. No doubt my progress would be much faster if I were to increase that, but I'm shooting for a lifestyle I can/will maintain and that's not in the cards right now.

There have been plateaus, ups, and downs, but I've never felt better. My 7 year old daughter asks me "What happened to my pillow?" referring to my belly. It's still there, albeit much smaller, but not for long...

Anyway, here are a couple of photos to help:
0_0_bde102637a210e9699bea571a8e8eff4_1

Replies

• mlopez9561
    mlopez9561 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great work! You look younger too, congrats!!!!:drinker:
  • Gagirl79
    Gagirl79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! You look so confident too!! You will get there:)
  • pugzrock
    pugzrock Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How many carbs are you around per day? I am doing the whole low carb/primal/paleo thing and have read about NK, I was wondering what kind of veggies you are able to eat, depending on your carb allotment. You Look great and I would like to look better in 6 months too!! Thanks for the inspiration.
  • NoirDancer
    NoirDancer Posts: 62
    Options
    You exercise once per week!? I know low carb works for me and I try to stick to it but it's hard :-(
  • dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It's never easy but how great that you found something that works so well for you. You look healthy and handsome.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Amazing work!!! You look great!!
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • stevewatsonjr
    stevewatsonjr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How many carbs are you around per day?

I keep my macros at 5% carbs. For me, that's around 20g. I subscribe to the Net carb theory, so if I go above that with fiber I don't worry. I will say that I definitely do not eat enough veggies. There's a great Firefox add-on you can get that will show your Net Carbs on your diary using the Greasemonkey plugin.
  • stevewatsonjr
    Options
    You exercise once per week!? I know low carb works for me and I try to stick to it but it's hard :-(

That's right. I'm just pressed for time with a high pressure job, family, and hobbies. I don't think low carb is for everyone, but I know it is right for me. My wife is gluten free and eating paleo, so I also benefit from aspects of that. I've come to realize that I did have a bit of an addiction to carbs. A few weeks in, I was making my daughter some mac and cheese and made the mistake of taking a bite, only being a week or so past the "carb-flu". I swear I had an addict reaction - my mouth started watering, my eyes dilated, and I just had to have it. It was such a visceral reaction, it cemented the fact that for me, there's definitely something going on there that can't be healthy.

I have a cheat day once every few weeks (pizza is my weakness still), but I feel so ick afterwards that it usually doesn't feel worth it.
  • stevewatsonjr
    Options
    Congrats! It's never easy but how great that you found something that works so well for you. You look healthy and handsome.

Aww shucks. Thanks!
  • prgirl39
    prgirl39 Posts: 108
    Options
    That is wonderful! Congratulations!!!
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    WTG you are looking Great!!
  • WalkingAway2013
    Options
    Great job! :flowerforyou:
  • Alli4Chocolate
    Alli4Chocolate Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You look great! I do low carb too. It is the only thing that I am successful on too.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Wow definitely impressive! And handsome! Way to go!
  • m3x43
    m3x43 Posts: 40
    Options
    Congratulations!! You look great and probably feel even better!
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • amomofboys79
    Options
    Great job! I too think you look younger!
  • cjenkins91
    cjenkins91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! Great job!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Macaroni and cheese was created by someone very very evil. I swear. My kids love it but I insist it triggers something in the brain that is a pleasure/pain. Highly addictive, empty calories....

By the way, you look incredible. Healthy, happy, and handsome!! Your wife is blessed to be married to someone committed to doing what it takes to be healthy. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!