Too Much Fruit + too much sugar?

Options
I have noticed when I eat fruit my sugar for the day sky rockets (meaning how much MFP allows for the day not diabetic take my sugar and see where it is) and I go over...is it okay to go over if the only sugar you are getting is from fruit?

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    MFP's recommendations are set based on the recommendations for *added* sugars. Unless you have a medical issue which requires tracking sugars, I wouldn't worry about it when it comes from fruits/vegetables/milk.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have always gotten frustrated with sugars too. I have little to no added sugar in my diet when I am "behaving" but I do eat a lot of fruit. I am always way over on sugars according to MFP.

Those that subscribe to "a calorie is a calorie" would likely say "sugar is sugar" period. I personally believe that calories and sugar are not all "equal"--it's the bang you get for your buck that matters as much as how much you are getting. Eating as clean as you can, having fruits and veggies in their purest natural form is great for you (and me). We are getting tons of nutrients wrapped up in a delicious package, not eating relatively empty and highly processed calories/sugars.

So in a nutshell, I say be aware of how much fruit you eat, don't consider it ok to eat tons of fruit all day long, the sugars do matter. BUT don't be surprised if your sugar levels are high with a moderate amount of fruit in a day.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    A balanced diet that includes fruit is healthy. Serving sizes are key with all foods.
    I eat at least a couple of servings of fruit every day. I mostly eat fresh fruit and vegetables.
    Portion size was one of the biggest eye openers for me when I began my new way of eating almost 15 months ago.
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I don't really believe there is anything as "too much fruit". Fruit is good for you and it's sugar is natural, so I don't think it will hinder your weight loss in anyway. It may actually help it.
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    Thanks guys I really appreciate all the info and am feeling much better, this whole weight loss thing when you don't know what your doing is scary, lol!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • chaplainj
    chaplainj Posts: 1
    Options
    This has been a frustration for me as well as I've gone vegetarian the last few weeks and I want the balanced nutrients from including fruits in my diet. Just a few minutes ago I decided to remove the sugar tracking in myfitnesspal settings. I know the difference between healthy carbs and empty carbs and I don't like seeing the red when I know I'm eating healthy.