Strength Training before Breakfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm intrugued by this. One of the main things that keeps me from working out in the AM is the belief that I would have to get up early enough to eat something and let it settle before working out. I would love to get on a morning schedule and leave my evenings free to be with my family. I never condidered the option of not eating first...
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I always work out early in the AM and then eat. Yesterday I had a slow start to the day. I ate breakfast and worked out a few hours later than I usually do. I felt very nauseated during the work out. Doesn't work for me.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I lift about an hour after I get up. Just coffee and 10g BCAA, then a huge meal afterwards.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Thoughts? Good idea or bad idea?
    I've heard a lot of positive things about cardio before breakfast but nothing on strength training (btw, I'm just finishing up the 30ds and moving onto ripped in 30 + cardio max!)
    Should I leave the cardio for before breakfast and the strength training for later in the day?

I almost always eat fasted. I rarely eat breakfast, I try to avoid it if I can.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I too work out 1st thing in AM (4;45am), then eat afterwards .. works for me. may not work for you. But I make good gains this way, and it fits my life schedule ...

I also work out an extra session in the afternoon, on occassion, and I have noticed no difference in my workouts .... I hit each one with the same level of high intensity ...
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for years. I lift first thing in the morning. I eat afterwards.

i do both before food...or hours after--like late at night. I do not like working out on a full stomach. At most, i'll have coffee and a few almonds or a string cheese before i hit the gym in the mornings. I eat when i get home.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I do strength first thing in the a.m. before breakfast. My sessions are only 30-45 minutes so I think breakfst first would be more of a hindrance. I can't handle solids in the morning before excercise. For my morning long runs of 2 hours+ I have a green smoothie with hemp hearts in it before going out. Helps with fatigue at mile 9.