So not bikini ready arrrgggh!

Options
You know that mixed feeling when you're proud of how far you've come and how hard you've worked, yet you're still fairly disgusted with your body and before you know it, your beach holiday is NEXT WEEK?!

I weighed 15 st 6 (216 Ibs) last September and I've lost 35 Ibs to get to 12st 13 (181 pounds). Been working out loads with bootcamp, running and Jillian Michaels DVDs. I piled on loads of weight over the last few years with failed attempts to quit smoking. Finally quit almost a year now and tackling weight too. My end goal by my wedding next summer is to get to about 10 stone (140Ibs).

So I know that it didn't come on overnight, so it won't come off overnight and it's all about patience. I've been such a yo-yo dieter that I'm determined this time to do it slow and healthy and always work on maintaining so I don't pile it back on like I have in the past. And so I've been trying to focus on enjoying how even a pound or two loss makes your bum or tum that lil bit tighter for motivation. Now I've been feeling good as I've lost 7 Ibs over the last 2 weeks.

BUT, I'm off to Marbella (land of the beautiful, glamorous people) next week for 10 days next week and I've just stripped off for a wee sunbathe in the garden and it's hitting me how in-bikini ready I feel!!! I feel I've worked so hard yet people will look at me and still see a flabby belly! (albeit less flabby than last year!) When I booked it last year I planned to be much slimmer! Didn't go away last year so this will be the heaviest I've ever been going abroad. I've been feeling good about my progress but it makes me sad that it's been the story of my life to be sitting in a beach feeling like a beached whale!

Oh and 10 days after after I'm off to Ibiza with the girls! Lipo?! (Only messing)

Replies

• sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to wear a bikini? There are tons of gorgeous swimsuits out there--try on a bunch and find one that you feel great in, whether it's one piece or two.

And congrats on your weight loss! 35 pounds is terrific!
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    Bikini or swimsuit same feeling of having wobbly bits! Going to have a look in the shops for some beach wear that's cool yet covers up a bit for comfort. Just can't wait for the day I can stand there in a bikini and not feel self conscious!
  • rainsable
    rainsable Posts: 7
    Options
    Well you're not going to be the lightest on holiday nor are you going to be the heaviest. However, you should be wearing that glow of confidence which comes from within at your success so far....if you feel good about yourself it will be noticeable whatever you weigh.
    Go, enjoy and be fabulous!
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    Thanks Rain just what I needed to hear, holidays and life are for enjoying yourself!
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about some of the cute retro high waisted bikinis? Very cute and very flattering to all shapes!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I would be going for a nice retro style bikini - shorts and a halterneck type job. Get something lovely that you feel fabulous in you deserve it. Take a few sarongs with you for when you are walking round - lying on a sunbed makes everything go nice and flat :p

If you aren't already hit some weights as you can tone up what you have got already. Bigger and toned would be better than slimmer and wobblier imo.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I actually do feel the exact same way you do, except no pending vacay, only summer's here and where I live it's vacay everyday.

I wanted to be bikini ready at halfway to my goal but just a curvy bikini ready while the fit bikini ready got worked on. I see gorgeous bodacious women by the pool all the time and I was hoping to at least be to that level of bikini ready, not slim, but not "fat" either. Just hella curvy and "damn girl" bikini ready.

Well 2 things have conspired to make that not happen. 1) Bad maths. I think I underestimated my cal cutting or workouts necessary to get there because I expected to be at the weight I met my husband in 4 weeks and I can see now that's not gonna happen. 2) finding out about lifting too late. If I wanted to have tighter "wobbly bits" as you put it, I probably should have started lifting right from the beginning. Honestly though the extra weight had me nervous about a previous injury and even when I first heard on here about weights it has taken me both time and slimming down to feel ready and strong and mentally and emotionally able to go forward in that vein.

So there we have it, two ladies who are not ready to strut their stuff in bikini's but who have the horrible burden of having to be on vacay. One of us going on it, one of us living on it. Poor us right? Well imagine all the people who don't have the time, money, luxury, ganas, or gumption to even get to this point. Imagine all the people who might be reading this who haven't even reached the kind of milestones we have. Imagine people in my own family, maybe yours who would jump at the chance to be in our shoes. Don't we owe it to all these people (and ourselves) to put on a suit, any suit and get out there and soak up the beautiful sunshine and wet our whistles in that refreshing water?

The sun shines just as bright on skinny people as fat people and gives us all the same happy sunshine rays, or whatever's in sunshine that puts us in a damn good mood. (google sunshine and mood). So if you can't get happy about the bikini itself per se, look at it as therapy or a tool on your way to your goal weight. Getting that good good sunshine on as much of your body as possible to increase the happy's and continue to fuel your efforts.

We-ll-Do-it-for-Johnny-dally-winston-24187567-500-205.gif
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    Thanks good idea there are some nice high waisted bikini just had a google. Well running a 10k tomo hope that helps!
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    I like this... The sun shines just as bright on skinny people as fat people! Yup we've just got to be too busy enjoying ourselves to care and keep on towards our end goal!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    My girlfriends and I have a saying.. no matter how bad you feel about your body - go to the beach! Trust me, the sunshine and fresh air just feel good, and you will see all kinds, as the world is made up of all kinds.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    There will be people of all shapes and sizes on the beach so take your bikini in case you look and change your mind!

I think that seeing yourself as 'bikini ready' is more of a mental thing than a physical thing. I now weigh 9st 5lbs but I don't feel bikini ready either even though I've been working my butt off since last November. All I see when I look in the mirror is love handles, wobbley thighs and a big baggy mummy tummy covered in stretchmarks but my partner seems to think I'm looking pretty good these days and I know I've come a long way so far.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Wear a Tankini skirt! As it's a 2-piece, you can try different sizes to fit your top and bottom separately. And the skirt hides the hips, butt and back of your thighs.
  • Vicks1978
    Vicks1978 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    sugarlips you have done so well! i am exact same weight as you right now. so i know what you are saying....
    there are some gorgeous see through kaftans u could wear over if u feel a bit self conscious? and some gorgeous flip flops to make it into a proper outfit...
    and what about a tan, I always feel thinner when ive done a st tropez .... and would make you skin look nice so might make you feel a bit more confident, i always feel really confident after I tan, i dont know why, but a sunkissed look makes me look like my skin is firmer and not blotchy and pale....

have a great time and as my mum always says to me, im sure once you get out there "there will be worse states than you!!" haha no seriously she always says this and mums are always right!! :)