being bad today

Options
I have decided that if I go over my calorie limit today, so what? It's just today. I am not going to try to go over by 1000 calories or anything, just if I want a little extra today that I can have it. I am getting burned out on eating a lot of the same stuff every day, so I don't want to get to the point that I COMPLETELY give up. Does anyone else do this sometimes? Does it have an impact on your weight the next week?

Replies

• ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    YES and very frequently. it honestly wont make much of a difference in the long run as long as you remember not to go crazy.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Go for it. If you're feeling hungry and lacking energy all the time, you could try recalculating your calories to see if you're eating enough. Look for the "in place of a road map" thread which explains how to do that.

It's actually a good strategy, when trying to lose fat, to have the odd day here and there where you eat at maintenance level, rather than constantly eating at a deficit. This can help to boost your metabolism and energy levels, and it also gives you a chance to eat foods that you can't usually fit into your calories very easily. the boost in metabolism can sometimes lead to better fat loss the following week. In any case, if you're eating maintenance calories for one day you will not gain weight or stop yourself losing weight on all the other days. Also, you can fit smaller servings of foods you really miss on other days too, just keep it within your calorie goal and make sure the rest of what you eat is giving you the nutrition you need, i.e. enough protein, healthy fat, vitamins, etc.

Focus on long term success and what you will be able to stick to in the long run. It's better to lose weight more slowly by eating in ways you know you can stick to, than losing it more quickly and giving up because your diet is too restrictive. It doesn't matter if it takes you longer to get to your goal, if you're going to stay there for life.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Why does this make you 'bad'?

Being over a calorie goal doesn't make someone bad... being under a calorie goal doesn't make someone good.

This is negative self talk... :frown:

If you go over, you go over. Enjoy yourself! Enjoy the treat. You'll not 'ruin' anything...you may retain water, but certainly not gain fat from 1000 calories.
  • klp1017
    klp1017 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I got really mentally drained a couple weeks ago so I decided that for one week I would not log anything or count calories. I didn't go overboard by eating McDonald's every meal or anything but I ate what I wanted to without worrying about my calorie goal. I ended up losing 2 pounds that week, which is more than I have ever lost in a single week. I think your body just needs it sometimes.
  • ch3vynova72
    Options
    I did that yesterday. I have been good all week, so I decided to treat myself. I did go a little overboard, but I didn't get mad at myself. It's not like an everyday or even a every week thing.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Probably 5 days a week I actually focus on the math and make conscious choices of food that will make the math come out 'right' after my last meal of the day. I actively think about the carbs, fats, and proteins, and about the total calorie number. But...at least 2 days a week, I don't do that. I don't go completely crazy and stuff my face with doughnuts and fast food. I still try to make wise choices, but I enjoy a nice splurge on that day, and I relax my grip on working the numbers. I just don't let the numbers guide my day. On those days, I'm usually over my calorie goal by 200-500 calories. It's not really a big deal. I am losing my weight slowly. I'm not sure if that's making it slower, but I'm really not concerned about that. I refuse to live my entire life doing math. And I refuse to stop enjoying food and dining. This is a lifestyle, for the rest of my entire life. I believe that for myself, that means it needs to be a series of small adjustments, not any drastic changes. So yeah, many many times, I relax and take my mind away from actually counting of calories.
  • tiger4nikki
    tiger4nikki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I feel the same way. I noticed it before that if I am "bad" sometimes, it boosts my weight loss the next week. I just wanted to see if it was true for others. :-)
  • jenns717
    jenns717 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I feel the same way. I noticed it before that if I am "bad" sometimes, it boosts my weight loss the next week. I just wanted to see if it was true for others. :-)

Hi! Just had to show you we think alike...nice toes! :)
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I had one of those days and lost 3lbs!! The human body is rather unpredictable :D
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Why does this make you 'bad'?

Being over a calorie goal doesn't make someone bad... being under a calorie goal doesn't make someone good.

This is negative self talk... :frown:

If you go over, you go over. Enjoy yourself! Enjoy the treat. You'll not 'ruin' anything...you may retain water, but certainly not gain fat from 1000 calories.

THIS ^^^^^ :drinker: :flowerforyou: