Please don't yell at me

Options
I have read the other posts on calorie deficit etc but stiil not sure?
This is what MFP has worked out for me ...I am roughly eating 100 to 200 calories more than the 1200 and have lost 4 kilos in a month....am I doing this correctly. I don't exercise other than normal daily housework vacuuming etc.

Your Fitness Goals
NUTRITIONAL GOALS GOALS
Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,200 cal/day
Carbs / Day 165 g
Fat / Day 40 g
Protein / Day 45 g
FITNESS GOALS GOALS
Calories Burned / Week 0 cal/week
Workouts / Week 0 Workouts
Minutes / Workout 0 mins
YOUR DIET PROFILE TARGET
Calories Burned
From Normal Daily Activity 1,580 cal/day
Net Calories Consumed*
Your Daily Goal 1,200 cal/day
Daily Calorie Deficit 380 calories
Projected Weight Loss 0.4 kg/week
* Net Calories Consumed = Total Calories Consumed - Exercise Calories Burned

CHANGE GOALS

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    have lost 4 kilos in a month....am I doing this correctly

you must be !
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for not yelling yarwell lol I know ppl get annoyed at these posts but I just wanted to be sure I had it right to eat more than the 1200 calories M F P set...thanks????
  • lilcutemonkees
    lilcutemonkees Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low unless you are only a couple pounds from your goal. NHS losing weight suggests 1400 for women anyway and 1600 for males
  • serendipity57
    Options
    1200 is too low unless you are only a couple pounds from your goal. NHS losing weight suggests 1400 for women anyway and 1600 for males

OK so I should be fine eating 200 cals over the 1200
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    you should be ok at 1400, thats what I have and lose weight regularly
  • serendipity57
    Options
    Thanks for your help missjojo...love that kitten in the pic????
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    4kilo a month is great, figure about half of that is water, that puts you right at a healthy ideal of 1lb a week. Keep eating this amount of cals until you stop losing weight. Keep in mind as you lose weight your caloric req and TDEE will change. Fr myself, I recalculate every 5lbs lost, but it's fine to subtract 1-200 more when u stop losing
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    How did you even get to 1200? I'm confused. I have 30 lbs to lose still and my goal is 1350 or something.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How did you even get to 1200? I'm confused. I have 30 lbs to lose still and my goal is 1350 or something.

your target is calculated as

BMR multiplied by activity factor (1.2 for sedentary) minus 500 cals/day per 1 lb/week target loss

So if you set a low loss rate or a high activity level you will get more calories allocated.
  • KalinaLauritzen
    Options
    I don't think it's anyone's business to get annoyed or yell at you haha we are all here for the same purpose. No one is better than the next :) anyway, do what you are comfortable with but keep that target in mind :) as long as you are working off what you need to you should be perfectly fine dear :)
  • 777twist
    777twist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think the thing most people don't realize is that these "numbers" are just ball park numbers. I'm regularly 100's and 1000's of calories over my NET each week. What does that tell me? It tells me that I'm probably not setting my activity level correctly (too low). So basically my daily goal is about 2200, but I regularly eat 2400 - 2700. And I have huge days... it all seems to work out in the end with me losing weight pretty much every week.

So if it bothers you that you are eating 200 calories more than what MFP tells you to eat, just go in and set your calories manually to 1400. That way you will have more of the supportive comments "...ate under her goal today."

Just keep watching your weight and ensure you don't start eating 200 over the new higher goal unless you are losing at a higher rate than you would like to.

Also, if you can't figure out how to calculate your activity level correctly... get something like a Fitbit and let it do it for you. I use one and it works really well.

Good luck!
  • sailawaykate
    sailawaykate Posts: 126
    Options
    YOU ARE DOING GREAT! AS LONG AS YOU DON'T START AN EXERCISE PROGRAM YOU SEEM TO BE AT A GOOD LEVEL OF CALORIES!

IF YOU DO START ADDING IN EXERCISE, TRY TO NET AT LEAST 1200! GOOD JOB ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS!

Sorry, couldn't resist yelling just a bit. :p