Compression after long runs

Options
I am interested in compression for after my long runs...currently I have a huge box of covidien sher-light athletic tape that was given to me and do a toe to knee wrap after runs higher than 13 miles (current long run is 18) for a few hours, makes my legs feel great. I'll typicall do an overnight toe to ankle wrap just to help with some mild achilles soreness, when I wrap, I feel great in the morning.

So...I see some people running in compression socks and sleeves, to each their own, if it helps go for it, but for me its a bit absurd. I'm more interested in recovery compression sleeves once the tape runs out. Anyone use them? Thoughts on brands? Do they make any foot to knee compression sleeves?

Thanks!

Replies

• Dano47
    Dano47 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I ran 6miles @6:00 this morning after going to bed @1am. Felt gd and i had my calf compression sleeves on. I was forefoot striking like never before, the way I held gd form and transitioned through the run was great. Even felt enough to throw in a few pickups. It had to b the compression sleeves that helped me. Got back, took a shower and put the sleeves back on. I might take them off later.:happy: BTW great job on ur weight loss. Bad a--
  • Fiiddlestix
    Fiiddlestix Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use compression socks for running to help with my shin splints, the compression helps reduce the impact on my shins. I may look a weirdo but at least i'm not walking like John Wayne for the rest of the week :).
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I don't use them while running, but I love my zensah compression sleeves for recovery
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Actually what's more absurd than me running in compression gear is me not running in compression gear and ending up with shin splints.
  • Dano47
    Options
    I saw zensah at a running expo gotta get a pair
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I run in Skins and wear them for 24 hours after a long run (including sleeping) - Luckily I have 3 pairs :) They make a huge difference! I started doing it at the suggestion of a friend of mine who works in sports medicine. She does the same thing as she runs lots of hills.

Without the skins, I would be really sore the next day. As soon as I started using them there was a remarkable difference.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Bump for later as I'm doing the same as OP and doing overnight/rest day wraps on my Achilles.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Bump for later as I'm doing the same as OP and doing overnight/rest day wraps on my Achilles.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Would love to know more about this topic too!
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    Not knocking those who run in compression, I just have no issues without them, so don't feel the need to start. If it works for you, then go for it!

I've been amazed how much compression makes my legs feel refreshed in the morning, I havent seen anything that goes foot to knee though besides compression socks...do these offer the same level of compression as the sleeves? Thanks for the info so far
  • Dano47
    Options
    yeah i know what u mean. My first pair of compression "CALF" sleeves i was a little disappointed with how short they were, but i got them for my calves so i settled. My second pair i shopped for some that were longer. I needed the "LEG" compression sleeves, longer and covers from ankle to knee. If u look on sites,ie., amazon or roadrunnersports, some descriptions will tell u the length. Also i think u know already that the compression sleeve compresses the calf muscle which helps absorb the shock of running. The recovery aspect, I think, comes after u hve put the muscle through a wrkout and wearing the sleeves after acts like a cozy, tight blanket which creates an environment for healing. Keeping it tight speeds healing. Gd Luck.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I actually wear long sleeve compression shirt when I run when it's cool outside. Feels great. I don't wear it when it's hot, though.

I ran track and played volleyball when I was in college and after every practice, I cooled myself down by taking an ice bath. It felt fantastic. Might wanna consider taking an ice bath after your long run.
  • amadillo79
    Options
    I sleep in recovery compression gear after a heavy session. Not only does it assist with muscle soreness, it feels like my quality of sleep has improved. I feel sore and more lethargic when I dont wear them after a workout. Ive gone through a few pairs but the best have been supacore, which feel better than the others

hope that helps