How long does it take to fall out of shape

Options
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/how-long-does-it-take-to-fall-out-of-shape-2277730/

I thought this was kind of interesting and wanted to share.

I hope everyone has had a great weekend! :)

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    This part of the article really caught my eye:
    Could a break actually be good for me? Totally. If you've been going all-out, working out HARD for months, you probably deserve and need a training vacay. "For many people who are stuck in the more is always better mentality, they have accumulated so much fatigue that a week off is just what they need," says Rasmussen.
    Makes complete sense now why I've been napping in the afternoons instead of working out this week... I thought it was just from late Wed night class. Good to know!
  • shintowa
    shintowa Posts: 37
    Options
    That explains why I always seem to be able to come back at better times after a week or two off. I had just always heard a day off a week, not a week of every few months. Good to know!
  • unocentavo
    unocentavo Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Good article.
    When I help someone choose a different workout and they've doing the "kill myself workout" before and achieving minimal results... The first thing I do is tell them to take one week off before we start. One week every now and then will do us all good. Two weeks? I'd say you're heading toward giving yourself an excuse to quit.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I read this article this morning myself.
    It all depends on the intensity the person in question has been working, and their beginning fitness level. If you're talking about a beginner jsut getting fit, then yes, 2 weeks is a long time and not a good idea. too easy to slide back into not working out at all.
    A seasoned athlete, however, would benefit more from two weeks of rest without the worry of becoming too slovenly.