First 5K Run!

Options
I just finished my first 5K run today! I ran for a great cause (Race Against Cancer). I learned that I had it in me to set a goal for myself, work hard for it and achieve it. Alsp, MFP has offered me a great community of friends to support me along the way!

I finished my race in 23:37 which was faster than I had accomplished while training. I loved the excitement and energy of running with others...what a thrill!

I started training on April 1 which was a few weeks after my uncle passed away from cancer. My goal was to run in his honor and try in finish in 30:00. I have not run in years so this was quite a goal for me. April 2nd I had found my way back to the gym after 4 yrs! haha

Needless to say I've gained strength and endurance over the last two months. I'm starting to feel more comfortable calling myself a "runner" which was something I never thought I'd say!

My MFP pals have watched me get to where I'm at and I appreciate their support and motivation. Many friends shared their stories of loved one's who have battled cancer and I added their names to my race t-shirt in dedication. Having something to run for pushed me forward:)

I hope you all find something that motivates you to work hard/train. Go for it! You might make yourself proud like I have today.

Can't wait for my next race!

Replies

• ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I know how good It feels. And that is a fantastic time BTW, I am envious. My fastest was a notch over 28.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I know how good It feels. And that is a fantastic time BTW, I am envious. My fastest was a notch over 28.

28 is great too!
  • schelle1986
    Options
    Good job! Thats one of my goals too!
  • RichOC
    RichOC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Great job! You're time is outstanding! I love that post race high! lol
  • Spikethered
    Spikethered Posts: 108
    Options
    Well done! Great time too :)
  • TJMiddaugh
    TJMiddaugh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    awesome job. your time was even better than awesome! keep it up! cancer is a Mudda Fer :/ sorry bout your uncle i lost my aunt to it not to long ago also.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Well done
  • RandyD2012
    RandyD2012 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That's stinkin awesome!!! I ran my first 5K and only 5K to date last year and did it in 30:52 or something like that. I plan on doing the same one this year in under 30. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • sleepingtodream
    Options
    Thanks everyone!:)
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Great job you should be super stoked and proud! Keep em coming
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, how awesome are you! I want to get into running but I don't really know where to start or how far to run and how often, I hear good things and bad things and in the end I feel like I'm doing it all on my own amd want to just give up or put it off for another time. But you are inspiring! I want to go and run 5k now just to see how fast I can do it in :) thanks x
  • stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Wow congrats, you really owned that 5k. I started running in late Feb and did my first 5k in 35:40 and my second in 35:20 (on a hilly course). So finishing below 30:00 is a goal for me too. But might need to keep training and try again later.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!!
    My best time(back in HS) Was 34:14... I assure you it's much slower now, as I'm just starting back up again!

Amazing job, though! You did really fantastic in the short amount of time!!!
    You can do anything you set your mind to!!! :)
  • naturallyme36
    naturallyme36 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    wonderful story and congrats to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just found my way back to training and It is wonderful to hear inspiring stories like your story. Keep the faith in yourself and I'm right behind Ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Nice job!
  • sleepingtodream
    Options
    wonderful story and congrats to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just found my way back to training and It is wonderful to hear inspiring stories like your story. Keep the faith in yourself and I'm right behind Ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck training!:)
  • slimforparis
    slimforparis Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That's an amazing time for a first time.
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    nice work! what an accomplishment its only up from here soon you will be doing Marathon's and loving life more!!!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness, you are fast!! My fastest time was 30 minutes!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!