Biking to Work?

Options
I am fortunate that I live relatively close to my employer (about 8 miles one way). I am 30 + days into my new healthy lifestyle and actually am thinking of biking to work? Crazy? Does anyone else do this and if so any suggestions you can offer? To me its more than just getting healthy and increasing my caloric burns - its decreasing my carbon foot print.................

Replies

• pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    I really wish I could do this. I can't figure out a safe way to travel to work on my bike. Have fun! If our roads were safe and more conducive to alternate transportation, we'd all be better off.
  • cornfieldsuburbia
    Options
    Thanks pmaxson - I am fortunate I live in Lancaster County, PA (Cornfield Capital)!!!! LOL!!!!
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Here in holland al people do it.

So enjoy it.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yes! Many people ride their bikes to work where I am (Southern Connecticut). It is not unusual at all. I don't - I'm a terrible cyclist, so the thought of me on a bicycle at rush hour is scary. I've only had 2 jobs in the last 12 years, and both were extremely into cycling and actually had a spare office set aside for employees to park their bikes during the day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I bike to work most days. If you have the right gear it's a great way to get an extra workout in.
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I starting biking to work this year. Its about 7 miles one way so a round trip is 14 miles. I worked out my route beforehand making sure I took as many quiet roads and cycle paths as possible without adding on distance. I also work shifts so I decided to make my first attempt a weekend where the roads would be quieter. I eased myself into it as its quite a distance so I didn't cycle for more than 2 days in a row to start off with but now I can happily do 3 or 4 before my legs need a day off!

I've really noticed how I used to struggle on some inclines but I can now do them at a good steady speed and my thighs are looking pretty good now even if I do say so myself! I enjoy it, especially when the weathers good. Although it takes me longer to cycle, on the days I do it I won't go for a run so I haven't really lost any time out of my day.

Give it a go and see how you enjoy it. Just take your time and build it up, especially if you haven't been riding a bike regularly before.
  • Oriole15
    Oriole15 Posts: 58
    Options
    I do it fairly regularly in the Summer, the route I use is mostly on a riverside path and away from cars. The drawback is in winter it isn't as well lit up as a road would be and it would be too dark at the time I commute and I might end up in the river so the bike gets relegated to the shed.

I like the morning leg of the journey best because there are fewer people about so I get to see more wildlife (water birds including herons, foxes etc) and the people who are about tend to be the same dog walkers and people going to work every day so you tend to get smiles and hellos. In the evening it is more crowded and my pace is slower because there are more people to share the path with. There are also more cars on the few on-road parts of the journeys than in the morning.

My colleagues are more hardcore and 2 of them cycle in whatever the weather and time of year. Another is only in our local office in the Summer months and is based somewhere else in the winter so she is a fair weather cyclist like me and most days she cycles 10 miles to the main station (and back in the evening) to cut the cost of her travel and for fitness.

Just try it and enjoy.
  • YonPelor
    YonPelor Posts: 2
    Options
    I do not bike to work, but I do ride to the college where I am a student. The campus has bike racks next to almost all the buildings, which makes it nice and easy.
  • ba502
    ba502 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I started this week. It's about a 10k ride one way. I have enjoyed it even though biking isn't my favorite activity. However I could only do 2 days this week......I was really sore from the bike seat. I now have a new "comfy" seat and will try it again this week.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    My wife does it, 27km each way I think. She just brings a change of clothes.
    Whatever you do though, wear your damn helmet.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I do this everyday (except when it is raining and to windy as I end up having to walk my bike into the wind cause I can't get going any faster than I can walk....) I LOVE it!