Post Vegan Recipes here!

Options
I'm starting this thread for us to share Vegan recipes that we like. So if you find something that you like, post it here and maybe someone else will like it too!

I think its also good support for anyone who is curious or new to the diet. We will know for sure that what we are reading is yummy to a friend, or was easy to make, yada, yada, yada. The experimentation can be fun, but it can also be overwhelming.

So post away! And lets get cooking!

Replies

• leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Hers one that was a huge hit with the kids!

Chicken-Fried Tofu
    Makes 8 pieces

1 pound fresh firm tofu
    3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    Old Bay seasoning (I don't know what the heck this is, so I skipped it and used some lawry's. I know, thats bad.)
    Salt

Cut the tofu into 1/4″ slices and wrap in paper towels. Place a weight on top for about an hour.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In a shallow bowl, combine the nutritional yeast and breadcrumbs and mix well. Dip the tofu slices in the soy sauce and place in the breadcrumbs mixture, coat well on both sides. Place coated pieces on a oiled baking pan.

Season to taste with Old Bay and salt. Bake for 15 minutes, turn over, season and bake for another 15 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Serve immediately with creamy gravy on the side.

Creamy Gravy
    Makes 1 cup

1 tablespoon flour (I used rice flour)
    1 tablespoon butter (I used Earth Balance)
    1 cup soy milk
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Poultry seasonings (a mix of sage, oregano, rosemary, basil, thyme and salt) to taste

In a saucepan, melt the butter then add the flour. Whisk the flour and butter together to form a roux. Add the soy milk gradually, whisking constantly until smooth and lump free. Lower the heat and continue stirring until the gravy reaches desired thickness. If necessary, thin with a bit more soy milk. Add the salt and pepper and poultry seasonings to taste. Stir to combine and serve.
  • AlekiaH
    AlekiaH Posts: 15
    Options
    This is my fave Lentil Chili

1.5 cup of Lentil Beans
    Vegetable broth (low sodium)box full or 8cubes
    Onion (however much)
    Garlic (however much)
    Celery (however much)
    Diced tomato (low sodium organic) 1 lrg can
    Tomato sauce (low sodium organic) 1 lrg can
    Chili Powder (6 heaping Tbs.)
    Cayenne powder (2 heaping Tbs.) if like or don't like use judgement this is HOT!!!!!!!

Boil Lentils for about 30min, next rinse drain and on med heat add veg broth, diced tomato, tomato sauce, chili powder, cayenne powder, stir together well, then add in veggies, let stew on med for about 30-40 min, then stirring occasionally, heat down to low for 15-20 more min.
  • coniconstance
    coniconstance Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Silky Chocolate Tofu Pie

For those of you who haven’t had tofu desserts, this will sound weird. But, it’s really good and good for you compared to a traditional pie. Think of tofu like Japan’s dairy.

For the crust:
    1 pkg. graham crackers (12-14 crackers – this is usually one of the wax paper wrapped blocks of crackers)
    2 T. sugar
    6 T. vegan margarine
    Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
    In a food processor, process the crackers, margarine, and sugar.
    Press into a 9 inch greased spring form pan. NOTE: You can also use a regular pie pan, but the pieces won’t come out as pretty.
    Bake the crust for 15 minutes.
    For the filling:
    1 14-oz. package firm tofu, drained and rinsed (Use silken tofu for more pudding like pie. Firm for firmer pie or if using a liquid sweetener.)
    1/2 cup raw sugar (or other sweetener you like: Agave, stevia, malt barley syrup, honey, etc.)
    1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract (optional)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate, melted (or mix and melt in a pan: 1/4 cup of cocoa, 3 tablespoons of melted margarine/butter and 1/4 cup of sugar)
    To prepare:

In a food processor, purée the tofu until smooth.
    Melt chocolate.
    Add the sugar, vanilla, salt, and chocolate to food processor with the tofu. Process until well incorporated.
    Pour filling into pie crust.
    Chill the pie for 1 hour in the freezer (Or 4 hours/overnight in the refrigerator if you aren’t in a hurry)
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Holly,

Old Bay is a fish/sea food seasoning. You use it in something like a crab boil and other things. They sell it at most grocery stores. Just ask, I think it might be in the baking aisle, but can't be sure. Your dish, and the other ones sound yummy!!
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Potato Leek Soup (serve cold in summer/hot in winter)

5-6 potatoes scrubbed and diced
    2 medium leeks, cut where the green part starts, wash and then dice
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 TBS olive oil
    Vegetable broth-1.5 boxes or about 6 cups (just make sure the potatoes are just covered)
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    Optional: about half to 3/4 bag of frozen corn. I pull it out of the freezer when I start and it is almost thawed by the time I add it into the soup.

Saute the garlic and leeks till the leeks are translucent. Add diced potatoes and saute for 5 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Take an immersion blender and puree the whole thing...or remove half of the soup, puree the other half, then add the other back. (I like mine totally smooth). If you don't have a stick blender, just use a regular blender and do it in small batches....make sure that you DON'T leave the lid on tight, or else it will explode, trust me!!! Add in the corn if desired. If serving warm, ladle it into bowls and serve with crusty bread. If chilling, put in a container and chill for a few hours or over night (best!). You can totally play with this soup too, add herbs, different veggies (spinach, peppers...)

This is a go to meal at my house!! The kids love it and I eat it for days :tongue:

When I am totally poor, I use onions instead of leeks. Cheap and easy.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    You also can use water instead of broth, just make sure you taste it for seasoning.