Protein "Ice Cream"

Options
2»

Replies

• jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Does it get chunky because of the cottage cheese? I see myself having texture issues (yeah, whatever, I'm weird). I might blitz it in the food processor and then run it through my ice cream machine to smooth it out.

Just stuck mine in the freezer. I don't have a food processor, so we will see how it turns out. Before the fridge, it was pretty chunky. I kinda grossed myself out. We will see how it comes out when it's done though. The actual flavor is pretty good!
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hm, because it's only 2tbsp of cottage cheese I only noticed the occasional white spot in the chocolate ness, but it all freezes to the same texture ("frozen texture" hah) so I didn't notice. I mostly noticed the yummy peanut butter I put on top haha.

I think processing it in the food processor would deal with any texture issues you may have though!

BTW I kept mine in the freezer for longer today, like 3 hours, and I wasn't as huge of a fan because it got really cold and frost bit because I didn't put a lid on it haha. So if you're making in advance I suggest a lid and also to let it sit out before eating it. I think 1 hour is the perfect amount of freezer time.
  • mx2mama
    mx2mama Posts: 62
    Options
    Bump, will try!
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    so going to try this! :)
  • 2dayirunforme
    2dayirunforme Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • becomingtherealme
    Options
    Bump :)
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Giget
    Giget Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! Must try:)
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Yum
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    Not sure about this, but willing to try.

Bump
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    No cauliflower at all in this?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Somewhere, there is a bowl of Ben & Jerry's crying.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have to get the Truvia, seems like a lot of recipes for healthy desserts use it. Can't wait to try this ice cream! Doing it this weekend!
  • NomNomMom
    NomNomMom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bump - got to try it too! Love my ice cream so it is worth a try! Thanks for sharing.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Anything with protein and ice-cream in the title gets my attention!
    STAHP
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Here's one that I use now & then. It tastes like cheesecake ice cream to me:

1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use About Time)
    1/2 cp Chobani non-fat plain Greek yogurt
    2 tbsp Friendship low-fat cottage cheese
    1 tbsp Grade B maple syrup
    1 tbsp coconut oil

I use an immersion blender to smooth it out.

This one's not really all that different from a serving of Ben & Jerry's as far as nutrition values, although you get about twice as much ice cream in the serving. ;-)

For about one cup:

314 calories
    14.2 g fat (12.2 sat)
    3 mg cholesterol
    19 g carbs
    0 g fiber
    18.8 g sugar
    28.5 g protein

Compared to 1/2 cup of Ben & Jerry's, you get more ice cream, more calories, about the same fat, lower carbs & sugar, and a lot more protein.

You might be able to swap out the coconut oil for a splash of coconut extract to reduce the fat content... Not sure what it'd do to the texture or flavor though.
  • drham1
    Options
    Hmm .. Seems interesting.. I have seen the recipes that just use protein powder and greek yoghurt.. But willing to add extra.. :)
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    bump