Pressured to Snack

Options
I am personally very strict about my caloric intake. If I go over my max goal, I make a point to work out to bring it down except for a few rare occasions where work had wiped me out. I do indulge in my sweet tooth sometimes or enjoy potato chips in moderation, keeping to the serving size, but flat out steer clear of things that are extremely high. It works for me and I don't get bothered with cravings to the point of losing control.

My problem is that some of my coworkers at one of my jobs gets on my case about it. We got new flavors of ice cream in and my one coworker started yelling, CODI! WE GOT APPLE PIE ICE CREAM IN! AND STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE!" I got annoyed and told her I didn't want to know (it kills me because I love anything apple-flavored) and she kept it up while another coworker got seemingly annoyed with me and told me it was ok to indulge once in a while. :/ There isn't many healthy options in there, so I get occasional offers to try cheese sticks, muffins, cookies and more, but I am just not interested. Any advice?

Replies

• Raeesa777
    Raeesa777 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    A little bit of ice cream once in a while is cool... so long as it is not everyday
  • AlexThreeClaw
    AlexThreeClaw Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Tell 'em to shove their apple pie ice cream where the monkey hid his nuts. If they can't respect your decision to politely decline their snacking invitations, maybe they'll take notice when you treat them as rudely as they're treating you. Perhaps that's a little too rude. You could try a sweetly aggressive, "Oh, that sounds marvelous. I hope you all enjoy it and thank you so much for offering it to me but I just don't fancy cramming that immensely sugar loaded confection into my gaping maw this afternoon. But you guys have fun with it." Don't forget to smile nicely!

(edit - I'm tired and grumpy and not giving very good advice right now. My apologies.)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What would you do if it was something else? Not food?
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yeah talk to your boss and tell these twits to BACK OFF.. Good grief are these adults? Sorry but this stuff makes me crazy.. when I stopped drinking ( decided it just wasn't what I wanted to do) I went through this with several family members and friends until we had a "Come to Jesus" talk about their behavior. Make sure they KNOW how important this is for you and that they simply are not allowed to get in your way.. period...This happens at my work too...people or students will bring in goodies. Now my boss knows to keep them in the outer office and if I want one I am a big girl and can make the choice without assistance.
    (grumble growl) sorry but this is crazy makin stuff.. hang in there!!
  • aanderson317
    aanderson317 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So, my husband was telling me about this thing that he read to combat this exact thing. Sign up for some fitness event, like a 5k or a half marathon - whatever level you think you can be at. Then, when you tell people you're turning down their offer of a snack or any food that you don't want to eat, tell them you "can't because you're in training for (insert event here)" People tend to respond better to "training" than "dieting". I'd be interested to hear if this works for you. Best of luck!
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    seems like a passive-aggressive way to make you feel bad about your eating choices. I hate when people do that; they want to feel better about what they're eating, so they try to recruit people in on it.
    **** that, it's your body and your health. Let them do what they want.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    I know how you feel. I work at this place that makes Belgium waffles - sometimes stuffed with frozen custard and all kinds of other things. There are always waffles left over and we are free to try the new flavors and stuff there, which is so hard not to every day. :laugh: I do have a lot of self control, however, and will try a little bit every now and then because a few calories over won't really hurt, but I understand some things make it easier for people to go overboard, than others. Ice cream is one of those things for me.

If your coworkers keep giving you a hard time about it, let them know in a civil manner that you don't appreciate them giving you attitude over not eating snacks at work - your not snacking does not affect them and I am guessing your attitude to get healthier is making them feel guilty about their snacking, perhaps? (which isn't your fault, either, if that's the case). Good luck and hopefully it stops.
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Politely say no thank you repeatedly ... we can not control another s behavior as irritating and rude as it may be... you can control your reaction to it... I have one cousin who delights in pushing food ... I used to let it stress me now when she pressures me my stock reply is no thanks you take my share you look like you need a few extra pounds... it has for the moment shut her up...
  • dragoness_leclerq
    Options
    Sometimes it's so hard because some people genuinely don't understand the dynamics some of us have with food. Moreover, they feel it is a mortal sin to "deprive" oneself of the occasional (or not-so-occasional) greasy, sugary, etc treat. I've had to kindly explain to many of my food-loving comrades about how important my diet is and how yes, you CAN survive and not be miserable if you leave off over-indulgence, and my family has embraced that. My friends however are constantly trying to force snacks down my throat and it's taken a lot not to let my mind veer into that petty, dark place that says they're trying to sabotage me, however I've for the most part been able to side-step these offers without it turning into a full on ordeal.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Politely say no thank you repeatedly ... we can not control another s behavior as irritating and rude as it may be... you can control your reaction to it...

this.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    No matter what anyone anywhere says, even if it is disguised as " scientific " advise.....you don't have to do what you don't want to do.
    I am in the same boat; I don't snack and don't find a lot of things delicious others do.....so I stick to my decisions.
  • FezzesRCool
    Options
    When it comes up, my initial response is polite. It's only when it continues do I make it clear that it's irritating (exception in the case of the original post with the loud announcement). I shall continue to decline.

P.S. I'd like to reiterate that I don't deprive myself completely. If I want ice cream, I get something by Smart Ones or Skinny Cow. Lowfat milk plus portion control provided by both lets me have my ice cream and eat it too.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It's not hard to manage other people. Just be polite but firm. If they're teasing you, then tease back. No big deal.

I'll also add that real ice cream tastes great and can still be enjoyed with portion control.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    you're a grown up. if you don't want to eat apple flavored cake and ice cream, then don't eat it. they aren't bullies on a schoolyard. you're all adults working in an office. they can offer every day and you can say no every day.

honestly, it's not that hard.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Say "no thank you". Repeat as necessary. You don't have to explain.
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. It's not a matter of "being a grown up" and saying no. It's not that easy when these are your peers and it's kind of like a ritual to try these things. God forbid you've only been at the company for a few weeks and you just want to fit in.

I'm on a charity committee at work and one of our sponsors was having a fundraising BBQ downstairs and the group decided "we all have to go" because we manage it. I brought a great sandwich to work that day, thanks, I don't need burgers and hot dogs that I've been volunteered for. Some people just don't seem to get your decisions. Stay strong and perhaps even play the "I had a huge lunch" or "I'm actually not feeling well, maybe later thanks" card.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. It's not a matter of "being a grown up" and saying no. It's not that easy when these are your peers and it's kind of like a ritual to try these things. God forbid you've only been at the company for a few weeks and you just want to fit in.

I'm on a charity committee at work and one of our sponsors was having a fundraising BBQ downstairs and the group decided "we all have to go" because we manage it. I brought a great sandwich to work that day, thanks, I don't need burgers and hot dogs that I've been volunteered for. Some people just don't seem to get your decisions. Stay strong and perhaps even play the "I had a huge lunch" or "I'm actually not feeling well, maybe later thanks" card.

i promise, it's EXACTLY that easy. i've never had a drink in my life and have been to tons of company events where alcohol was served. i just say no. every. single. time. no repercussions, ever. and when i'm cutting, i'll skip whatever food doesn't fit my food plan and not have a second thought about it. i've had my bosses joke about it, but last i checked, words ain't promotions.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    you're a grown up. if you don't want to eat apple flavored cake and ice cream, then don't eat it. they aren't bullies on a schoolyard. you're all adults working in an office. they can offer every day and you can say no every day.

honestly, it's not that hard.
    exactly.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    It can be hard not to let it get to you when someone flashes you the said doe-eyes when you turn down something bad for you because you don't want it. They feel guilty for indulging when someone else is making a healthy choice, then they get hurt, and you feel guilty for making them feel guilty. The only thing that has worked for me has been making it consistently clear that I can't be wheedled into eating something I don't want. Eventually, they stop asking. Polite but firm.
    Also, I love your username, OP. Fezzes are cool, and so are bowties.
  • YvonneCT
    YvonneCT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Easy. Don't discuss your fitness program. Don't ask for approval or support. Then you don't get the saboteurs. When the goodies come in (as they do in my office) I smile and say, truthfully, "That sounds great. I love....(whatever it is). This way they drop it and you can then just decide for yourself if you will indulge. That's how I handle it.