Needing more Energy! PLS HELP!

Options
Skmellyg
Skmellyg Posts: 158 Member
I don't do caffeine, well rarely do I do it. I drank a soda today to get some energy because when 4 o'clock comes around I am just soooo tired. I work 9 hours a day from 6am-3pm. No 1 hour break just 2 seperate 15 minute break. I have a desk job and at times it gets boring. I usually get 8 hours of sleep sometimes 7 but that is rare. I am tired of being tired around 4 when I want the most energy for my kids. I get nothing done at home because I am too tired. I go home and just get enough energy to cook and sometimes work out. I did 3 times this week and will tomorrow. Even on Saturdays I have to take a nap during the day or I am not a functioning adult. So I was looking into using vitamins, something, maybe ACE diet pills just for the pure fact it may give me energy all day. My eating habits are not that bad but could be better. Anyways anyone have any natural ways to get energy? Any vitamins? Any suggestions would be very very helpful!

Replies

• Skmellyg
    Options
    anyone?????
  • jdyg81
    jdyg81 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    since you dont do caffine i would suggest 5 hour energy.. and most people on hee are gonna say check your iron at the doctor and go from there and eat more fruit best of luck.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Take a B complex vitamin. Helps keep me going!
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't know what ACE diet pills are, but why not just try a cup of coffee? If you don't load it down with sugar or cream or syrups it is a low calorie way to get a boost. My routine is to drink one cup of black tea in the morning, but some days it just isn't enough. I am in a similar situation with long days - sometimes that cup of coffee really helps!
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Take a B complex vitamin. Helps keep me going!

this....

plus snack on nuts, dried fruit, bananas... keep your blood sugars up :smile:
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? When I was eating 1200 cals not all the caffeine in the world would have given me any energy - I was that tired...
    Go for a walk when you get home - that might help, strange as it seems....
    Open your diary so we can see what you are eating - too much carbs and too little proteine can play havoc with your bloodsugar and will make you feel dead tired around four....
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    tiredness around that time is more than likely related more to needing to change what you eat and how much you sleep rather than just taking an energy supplement and just treating the symptom rather than fixing the underlying cause
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You might build a morning and an afternoon snack into your schedule, and make it protein and fat rather than carbs. Feeding yourself with sugars (including things like dried fruit) isn't going to help. I avoid the sugars, when I eat carbs they're complex (whole grains), I have a morning snack like cheese with a slice of crisp bread, and a handful of nuts for an afternoon snacks, and I never feel tired in the afternoon like I used to.

If you're chronically tired, a trip to the doctor is a good idea to make sure something else isn't going on. And by the way, a 5 Hour Energy shot contains as much caffeine as a cup of coffee ... I don't know why people think it's caffeine free. ;)
  • Kerbgirl
    Kerbgirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Find a good vitamin B12. , I take a B12 liquid by Spring Valley. It works great. Vitamin D should help too. Also, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Being dehydrated can make you feel run down and tired. I hope this helps.
  • Skmellyg
    Options
    I took a daily vitamin B12 but it made me more tired, as well as if I eat chocolate. I probably need to start logging my food and I do eat too much carbs. I am going to go for eating more protein and complex carbs and nuts. I eat 5 times a day. I eat an apple a day and usually a banana. I am going to start eating watermelon only because it is my fav! I drink about 64 ounces a water a day usually. I don't know if my tiredness is a bad habit it or if there is an underlying problem. I started sleeping in school in 6th grade. I am 30 now. It got worse in high school as I would sleep in all my classes, go home take a nap, maybe work that day, then go home and sleep 8 hours, Always missed 1st period because I slept in. You would think I partied all the time. Which I didn't, I just needed sleep. So I don't know if it is just habit or if something is truly wrong with me. What are some complex carbs?
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    That's not normal. Get a complete blood test, you must have a condition or a vitamin deficiency. Or you eat too much sugar and get sugar crashes that make you super tired.
    Drink green smoothies for energy. Lots of spinach, kale, green collards and other leafy greens in your smoothie.

Edited to fix a word.
  • kara2
    kara2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would definately go to the doctor. My tiredness was because I am low in iron and very anemic. I agree with the people that say to eat protein it really does help. I take an iron pill now and that helps but don't start one unless your doctor says too. Good luck.
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have a vitamin D deficiency and it made me feel exhausted to the point that I was borderline also feeling depressed. Just couldn't get out of the funk. I'd sleep 12 hours and still be tired. But since taking my prescription level of Vitamin D I have felt so much better (I am currently on 50,000 IUs weekly and will be rechecked in about a month to possibly reduce the amount). I highly recommend getting all your levels checked.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    That's not normal. Get a complete blood test, you must have a condition or a vitamin deficiency. Or you eat too much sugar and get sugar crashes that make you super tired.
    Drink green smoothies for energy. Lots of spinach, kale, green collards and other leafy greens in your smoothie.

Edited to fix a word.

THIS!!!!! ^^^^^
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Get more sleep - go to bed earlier - some people need more than 8 hours just like some (such as me can survive on only 5 hours).

My ex used to be asleep by 8pm every night and had 12 hours sleep (that's most likely why she's my ex!). All her family were the same. Funnily enough they all looked very young for their ages and the older members of her family all lived into their late nineties.
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Since you sit all day, consider this info. It might also help with energy.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/24/sitting-at-work-why-its-dangerous-alternatives_n_1695618.html
  • pamjones77
    Options
    your doiood!ng g