To get a pedometer...

Options
So I've been looking at pedometers lately, and although I can afford one, I am having trouble justifying getting one. What are some of the advantages or great uses of a pedometer? Vs say...a phone app.
Thanks!

Replies

• KatyCurtin
    KatyCurtin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one that I love. It motivates me. I can glance at it anytime during the day and see where I am in relation to meeting my goals. Bonus for me, it also counts the number of flights of stairs I climb.

I've had other pedometers, but none have been as accurate as my fitbit.

I've been something of a slacker today, so I know that I'll go for a walk before bed because I can't bear to see that low number at the end of my day.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex and had the One before it. I strongly recommend either one. I like the One better but I'm prone to losing it, so the Flex works better for me. Fitbit has a regular pedometer too. Can't recall the name but they have it in Best Buy.
  • hautetheory
    Options
    I have a body media core, I think (www.bodymedia.com) and I really like it. You leave it on all day and night and take it off for like an hour or two a day to let your arm rest. It is very good at calculating your calories throughout the day however it is not very good at calculating vigorous workouts but that's what you have MFP for. If you have a large amount of weight to lose I would say wait until the new model comes out. It is going to have a heart rate monitor that will make it more accurate for workouts. Mines costs about $100 and it is working out well.
  • hautetheory
    Options
    Also, the one I have is the one that the people from biggest loser used to use.
  • StatHaldol
    StatHaldol Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit also, it motivates me to do a little more each day, and it's help to change my lifestyle.
  • baroqueviolin
    Options
    I have a Nike Fuel Band. Love it!
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and it is great, it has really motivated me and lets me know what I'm really burning for calories for the whole day, so I can make sure that I have a calorie deficit, and I lose fat!

Worth it to me for sure.

Here is a thread that I started asking about the Fitbit....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/995359-fitbit-is-it-worth-it
  • jjenks3
    jjenks3 Posts: 45
    Options
    Thanks for the replys guys!

Quick question, does anyone know how well it works with Treadmills or Elipticals?

I ask because Texas summers are brutal and I don't see myself doing a TON of outside cardio during the summer.
  • michaelpost
    michaelpost Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mine work just fine on the treadmil.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FitFunFabulousNicole
    FitFunFabulousNicole Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replys guys!

Quick question, does anyone know how well it works with Treadmills or Elipticals?

I ask because Texas summers are brutal and I don't see myself doing a TON of outside cardio during the summer.

They work perfectly :) I use a Fitbit too - love it. Keeps me moving!
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Treadmill will be fine, as that's definitely step-based. I'm curious about elliptical, too, specifically the Octane--I wonder if it counts correctly given that's a smoother motion and not such a step with a bang at the end of it. I've been doing mostly treadmill but am thinking I'm going to have to go back to the elliptical because of back problems.
  • jjenks3
    jjenks3 Posts: 45
    Options
    Well, how do you factor in incline? lol :) I guess just dont use the calorie counter on the fitbit and use the one in the app?
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Zip and it's fine with treadmills and ellipticals. You just need to remember to put it in your sock or tie it to a shoelace for cycling so it picks up the motion.

For DH and me, it's a big motivator. I got them because my company wellness program gives us points (towards health ins. discounts and merchandise) for workouts but they have to be monitored and uploaded. DH is 74 and has some ongoing health issues but when he started seeing what he could do, he started walking more often, frequently getting 2.5 miles/day. When we were in Paris last month he was doing 5-mile days and he said he was sure that the walking at home helped. I started out with a heart rate monitor, which I like to keep track of the intensity of my workouts, but when I saw how user-friendly the Zip was, I got myself one. I just had a 20,000-step day! Long run in the morning, went to an outdoor fair this afternoon, came home and mowed the lawn.