how do I get out of starvation mode?

Options
I recently got frustrated that after week one of weight loss, I wasn't losing any weight. I decided to look at my food diary today and had a revelation. I was confused at first and thought I had to only eat 1200 calories despite doing a hard workout like insanity. I would burn off like 400 calories and not eat them back. Leaving my body with only like 800 or so calories to live from. Which brings me to having a plateau. Any tips on how to reverse it?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    eat more
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    start eating a healthy number of calories. Someone will be on here explaining how to figure out TDEE and BMR. Set your calories somewhere in between. Because your body is in starvation mode, you will gain weight at first, but hang in there, your body will adjust and you will eventually start losing again. Your health is top priority. Keep working out, but eat back your calories and make wise choices on food.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Eat, and don't freak out if you temporarily gain as your body hangs onto the extra food.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Give yourself the freedom to have a high calorie day to get your metabolism going again.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    slowly add calories only by 100 a week.......
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    Have a higher calorie day probably around 1800-2100 cals then start eating back 1/2 of your exercise cals, look at other peoples diaries eho are being successful to get an idea of what and how to eat and remember everyone is different you need to find what works for you. I eat 1200 -1300 cals a day and do not eat back exercise cals unless I have had a REALLY strenuous workout, hang in there
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    For starters you are NOT in starvation mode. You would have to eat lower than that, closer to 0 for that to even be considered. You hit a plateau, nothing more.

I won't net 1200, not by choice but just cause I refuse to eat if not hungry & I'm still losing 16 months later.
  • Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode= no comment from me..... Eat more!
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is when you eat less then the 50% of your BMR. So if your BMR is 2500 daily that means you may go in starvation mode by eating 1200. However I don't believe in starvation when your are eating 1200 cal. If you then want to eat your exercise calories back what is the point of doing exercise? Only if you want to put on muscle weight.
  • yukino3006
    yukino3006 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm new to losing weight. So sorry for the confusion. Butt I read that if your body doesn't have at least 1200 calories to love from then that's bad. I do insanity also so that Burns lots of calories
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm new to losing weight. So sorry for the confusion. Butt I read that if your body doesn't have at least 1200 calories to love from then that's bad. I do insanity also so that Burns lots of calories

Whatever your BMR is, is the number of calories your body needs to take care of body functions like beating your heart, digestion, and other organ functions. this is how many calories you would need to survive if you were in a coma. I wore my heart rate monitor one day to work and I do laundry for 8 hours a day in a nursing home--busy but not high impact work, and in a 8 hour day, I burned 1460 calories.
  • terracotta1985
    Options
    starvation mode is a myth its based on a study done during ww2 and has never been recreated and it is insain to think that if you don't eat enough your body won't lose weight then no one would starve. A platu is caused by your body haveing just the right amount of calories to sustain your current weight.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    So you've been at it a week and are frustrated you're not losing? Give it more than a week. Although yes, eat more too.
  • neojedi
    neojedi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What @ pinkrayne said - it's not starvation mode. It's a plateau. They suck.

Here's what helps me stay sane: I'm not allowed to post links in here, I think but there's a scale I bought called the "EatSmart Precision Scale." Got it from Amazon. Some of these BF impedance scales are bunk, but this one isn't. When I hit a plateau and it looks like I'm not losing GROSS weight, it shows me if I'm still tipping the scales on bodyfat lost. It's not a cheap scale (55 bones), but it's the best one I've used and it's kept me sane in situations like the one you're describing.: if I don't lose weight but have still lost fat and/or gained muscle, I don't feel nearly as down.

Another tip: drink more water and if you do a nutrient shake, use psyllium husks mixed in with the shake to keep...uh...things moving, if you know what I mean.

But, again, it's not starvation mode...you literally have to be on an island with zero food and your body weight in freefall for that to kick in...unless you've got an eating disorder and are simulating that, it's not going to happen from even a VLCD.

Good luck!
  • yukino3006
    yukino3006 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    its been four. i only lost weight the first week