Jumping rope

Options
Hello, I just started MFP almost a week ago and trying to figure out foods I love that are less calories and excercises I love so I know I will stick with this. So this brings me to my question, has anyone tried jump rope for their excercise? It burns alot of calories for less time. It also works every muscle in your body. I just bought my jump rope and tried it today. It is alot harder than you think. I was very winded after only 3 min!!!!! I am hoping to build up a tolerance to it. Any adivce or suggestions would be great.

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope is a really good cardio exercise! I have to alternate doing it with something easier (usually hula-hooping) because I can't do it for much more than 5 minutes at a time - so I'll do 5 jump, 5 hoop, etc - back and forth. In half an hour I burn about the same amount of calories as running when I do that.
  • iDreamNEON
    iDreamNEON Posts: 112
    Options
    Jumping Rope has been one of the few things that help me lose some of my stomach without bulking up my thighs. When I started I would Jump for 60 Secs and then rest for 90. Then i'd slowly increase the amount of time i jump so i could increase my endurance. Oh I forgot to say I'd repeat this for about 30 minutes.
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    I just bought a jump rope also. I haven't jumped rope in more years than I can remember and I am ridiculously bad at it!!! I bought a nylon rope and I'm thinking I should have looked for one that's a little heavier so that it's easier to swing it around consistently. I'm going to keep at it because I know it will be a really good workout once I get the hang of it.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    jumping rope is incorporated into the 30 day shred - jillian michaels program. i do that a lot.
  • SHALONDAG
    SHALONDAG Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just got one and jumped for 10 mins. the other day. By the time I finished I was totally winded and drenched in sweat! Jumping rope is a great workout!
  • Thea_N
    Thea_N Posts: 16
    Options
    jumping rope is a great workout!!! here's an awesome workout i like to do(it is very tough)

warm up

3 sets x100regular(1 min rest between each set)

3 sets x100alternating feet(1 min rest between each set)

3 sets x100 (50 one legged left foot, 50 one legged right foot) 1 min rest between each set

do that 3 times..

it adds up to 2700 reps..
    very very tough your first time but you will feel great after and if you need more rest than give yourself more.. but make sure to finish the workout.
  • krazie4u247
    krazie4u247 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My trainers force me to jump rope. It is a great cardio workout if you don't suck at it like me. But I think with time you will get better at jumping rope.

Another great exercise you can do is kettlebells.
  • desp8housewife
    desp8housewife Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What is kettlebells?? I've seen a few people on here mention it..
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    my son had a jump rope competition at school last year so i had to teach him. walking was difficult that week (i used muscles that had forgotten they were muscles). he got third and i rediscovered a simple, effective exercise. :)
  • desp8housewife
    desp8housewife Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Haha, my 3-4 min of jumping rope yesterday has my legs alittle sore today....mustve worked some... I used to be a jump roping queen back in school, I was skinny and no boobs.....Its a whole new world now. Gonna try somemore today.
  • krazie4u247
    krazie4u247 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What is kettlebells?? I've seen a few people on here mention it..

Kettlebells is the best workout ever!!! It is great for your core. Its a cast iron weight that has a cow bell handle. It is a great strength training exercise and I know that it is great for women. Here is a little to read about Kettlebells.

The reason for the boost in kettlebell training it that it gets back to basic training that requires functional, whole body fitness. Kettlebells require an athlete to focus on whole-body conditioning because lifting and controlling a kettlebell forces the entire body, and specifically the core, to contract as a group, building both strength and stability at the same time. Kettlebell workouts engage multiple muscle groups at once. In this way, they are a great option for getting a whole body workout in a short time.
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    Jumping rope is a fabulous exercise but not for everyone.. Especially if you have knee issues or low-back issues as it is high impact sport.
    To your health
    Dounia
  • luvstolose
    Options
    I have always heard that jumping rope is a great exercise that is one of the exercises boxers use and we know what great shape they are in! I have a hard time jump roping though at my weight it is hard to jump up and down! I used to love to jump rope though and would love to be able to do it again!
  • sk_letsdothis
    sk_letsdothis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope is a great form or exercise! And a few minutes doing it, I get super sweaty and winded! I found an awesome jump rope with weights at the handles and the next day I felt like I worked out double time..it was great! Good luck!
  • leesey1
    leesey1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i think i am going to start back jumping rope. I tried before I got on MFP, and almost died.
  • LadyDisillusion
    Options
    I love jumping rope! My brother and my mom broke my previous rope so I had to buy quickly a new one to compensate the loss, but it wasn't nearly as good as my old one... I think I need to go rope shopping, which leads to my next question, what kind of ropes does everyone use?
  • bettejeanb
    bettejeanb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    jumping rope is great. Keep it up and you will build up tolerance. Don't overdo though. One time when I decided to get back into jumping rope I jumped a very long time. Well, I was going out to dinner that night and I could hardly walk. The muscles in my legs were so tight. So keep jumping but build your time up. I have jump ropes with weights in the handles. I like the feel of the weight. Jumping rope is such a portable exercise. I used to jump at lunchtime in the parking lot at work. Turn the car radio on and jump. Simple.
  • BRITBRITNOLA
    BRITBRITNOLA Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this. Maybe try to recruit my sister and eventually some other friends...DOUBLE DUTCH! I can't wait.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yah! Jumping Rope! I have been in such a walk/run rut that I wanted something new. Then my dad gave me his old jump rope. It is great because it is older and good strong quality. Wooden handles and a heavy rope. Tried it last night for 5 minutes at night outside and was sweating already! :yawn:

Can't wait to incorporate that weekly into my schedule! I'm glad I'm not the only one with a jump rope :smooched:

So what if the neighbor kids are laughing.............. ha!