Protein Powder

Options
Hi Guys

I was just wondering does anyone have any suggestions for protein powder for women?
I'm 19 years old, 47kg, 150cm (5ft). I just want to tone up. I'm eat well but I have a hard time getting my protein intake up without adding 100s of calories. Any help will be good...

Replies

• cumminsrat
    cumminsrat Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i woudl try to get in some lean meat (chicken turkey) if you arent already, i eat egg whites for some of my protein and i have a shake later on in the day. the more natural the better. google high protein foods and see what kind of things you like that are listed
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Most protein powders can add 100's of calories depending on serving size. Most of time not great of a meal filler...

seafood would be a great alternative. Add it to a salad with no dressing... Shrimp, tuna, salmon, etc. (not breaded of course)
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Trutien is pretty good. 23 grams of protein for 115 calories (I usually judge the powder by the protein-to-calories ratio). :smile:
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Designer Whey, MRM, Jay Robb are my favorites... Biochem and Whey Factors are good too.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Protein powder does NOT make women bulky. Heavy lifting with protein and male steroids make women bulky... Stay away from the steroids and you should be fine. GNC has a calculator for estimated protein goals based upon your goals, sex, age, and activity level. Beyond that whey protein, egg white protein, and catein protein are good sources. As one said, of course, whole foods are probably the best source of protein but if it is during/after a workout, there is nothing wrong with a shake for quick infusion of protein. Some of course are more calorie dense sources than others so it is best to read the label. Of course, mixing with water (if allowed with the type of mix) will cut calories more than if you mix with milk so that is a consideration.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Protein powder makes women bulky.

No it does not, only male hormone enhancement can do that to women. Protein alone does not make ANYONE bulky.

And to answer the OP question, there are many on the market that are good. Look for high protein, low fat and carbs, and few ingredients. You have to decide if you are ok with sweeteners because a lot have them, but some use stevia. Whey and Casein are popular (many think the best) but I like to vary my protein, so I use Plant base proteins, and Beef/Egg as well. You need to find one that your body digests well and it has good ingredients.

I like Pro7 Synthesis it has about 150 calories with 36 grams of protein and only 1 gram of fat and 2 carbs, mixed in water it is a great way to get in a good amount of protein in a fast way without too many calories. It is time released protein blend of 7 different types of protein.The Whey digests quickly after a work out but the casein digests slowly. I have yet to find another Whey blend on the market that beats their protein levels.

Ones that have less protein but are still good are Suniwarrior products (plant protein) and MHP Paleo Protein, Micellar Casein and Dymatize Elite. Shop around because the price is all over the map. There are many other brands and everyone has their views on them, these are just the ones I have tried.

If you are looking for a combo product of protein and green food together Maximum Vibrance is really good. 20 grams of plant based protein with green and rainbow foods added.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I like gnc soy protein powder. Only 130 calories for 25g. I've heard people like eas too which is available at walmart and grocery stores.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    If you have a Sprouts in your area, they sell whey protein in bulk. It's 12.99 per lb but it's unflavored.
  • quasilaur
    quasilaur Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have trouble getting enough protein, and protein is the secret to keeping me feeling satiated. Nothing else works. I'm not a fan of a lot of meat and dairy, and i stay away from soy - so I highly recommend the Vega protein powders. They're yummy, and not terribly caloric, and vegan. My favorite is their basic smoothie powder in Oh Natural flavored, which makes it good to go in just about any recipe, and is great with almond milk.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys

I was just wondering does anyone have any suggestions for protein powder for women?
    I'm 19 years old, 47kg, 150cm (5ft). I just want to tone up. I'm eat well but I have a hard time getting my protein intake up without adding 100s of calories. Any help will be good...

Sorry, OP, I never even contributed anything real. So, I like the Met-RX chocolate protein plus from Trader Joe's. It's fairly inexpensive and has the best flavor of the protein powders I've tried. As others have mentioned, protein powders are gender neutral, so don't worry about needing to find anything specifically for women.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    OP, there's no actual protein for women. Anything that says so on the package is probably overpriced too, just a marketing gimmick.
    Get whey protein isolate. The less ingredients the better, imo. Other than that, price and taste are the only other things that matter to me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is protein powder - it has nothing to do with being for men or for women. It is just to supplement your protein macro if you are not getting enough from food, that is all.

Optimum Nutrition Gold 100% Whey is a solid protein powder. I also like Trutein.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is protein powder - it has nothing to do with being for men or for women. It is just to supplement your protein macro if you are not getting enough from food, that is all.

Optimum Nutrition Gold 100% Whey is a solid protein powder. I also like Trutein.

be wary of that trutein. too much gas

My flatulence now has pheromones. pheromones are released and women come running for miles
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

My flatulence now has pheromones. pheromones are released and women come running for miles

Never been a problem for me ;-)
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    ON 100% Whey or Nature's Best Isopure.
  • agtapia09
    agtapia09 Posts: 94
    Options
    What about whey protein that contains creatine monohydrate? How does that effect the muscles and body when you are taking it and what will happen to your body if you stop taking it?

Is 100% whey protein a better choice? I've never taken protein powder and the guys at they gym suggested going 100% because creatine will make muscles bigger. I have my doubts as they are the same ppl who said not to lift heavy because I would bulk lol. :laugh:
  • DatMurse
    Options

Never been a problem for me ;-)
    well I consume 2 scoops at a time. may be a reason. nom sayin?
  • mewtwo500
    mewtwo500 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    MRM and Jay Robb are my favorites, although the Jay Robb is a bit pricier. I can always find both at my local grocery store (Kroger) or you can order online for around the same price.
  • mewtwo500
    mewtwo500 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What about whey protein that contains creatine monohydrate? How does that effect the muscles and body when you are taking it and what will happen to your body if you stop taking it?

Is 100% whey protein a better choice? I've never taken protein powder and the guys at they gym suggested going 100% because creatine will make muscles bigger. I have my doubts as they are the same ppl who said not to lift heavy because I would bulk lol. :laugh:

From a biochemical perspective, creatine--more specifically phosphocreatine--is a short-term energy source. It can be used by the muscles to phosphorylate ADP to ATP and provide energy for contraction...however, the natural supply in the muscle is pretty small (only provides energy for a short burst of activity). Our muscles rely primarily on glycolysis and oxidative phosphorylation for energy. From what I've read, supplementing with creatine can increase your perfomance (i.e. allow you to lift heavier) but there seems to be some conflicting information out there. I think regular whey protein would be more than sufficient for the average weight lifter and that's what I personally stick to.

Source: biochemistry class
  • DatMurse
    Options

From a biochemical perspective, creatine--more specifically phosphocreatine--is a short-term energy source. It can be used by the muscles to phosphorylate ADP to ATP and provide energy for contraction...however, the natural supply in the muscle is pretty small (only provides energy for a short burst of activity). Our muscles rely primarily on glycolysis and oxidative phosphorylation for energy. From what I've read, supplementing with creatine can increase your perfomance (i.e. allow you to lift heavier) but there seems to be some conflicting information out there. I think regular whey protein would be more than sufficient for the average weight lifter and that's what I personally stick to.

Source: biochemistry class

Creatine monohydrate is a very effective substance. Almost a staple as a supplementation now for people interested in bodybuilding or strength performance retention. They have done more and more studies over the effectiveness. Now some people are non responders but the majority of people do respond. If anything micronized creatine monohydrate is most effective form atm for the price. It is the form that has the most studies.

More recent studies show that it may have neuroprotective effects. Other studies confirmed the increased cardiac output on people with congestive heart failure.

Endurance atheletes will not see a performance boost due to the fact, the energy system it is based off of is short term strength. I think it is a great supplement and is very cheap. It is not truly categorized as the same as protein powder due to the fact protein powder is protein. creaitne is a product generated by the kidneys, liver, and pancreas.

to get the same effectiveness from meat as you do creatine supplementation you have to consume an ETA of 2.2lbs of meat(that's if cooking doesn't dentaure it)