I don't want to eat. What??

Options
Has anyone had a day where absolutely nothing appeals to them?

Today is that day for me. Yesterday, we were out of the house so I missed breakfast and lunch (I know BAD BAD BAD). I had a decent dinner to make sure I still got all of my calories in so I wasn't starving my body. Today- I had a small breakfast since I got up late, and ended up having an early dinner after I woke up from a nap (STILL beat from yesterday!). Usually pasta would be my favorite, but today I had to force myself to eat it. I had a bite of the sausage I made to go along with it, and that's where I stopped.

I'm just not hungry (well maybe I am, but not for anything we have), and just don't feel like eating. I'm worried this is going to screw up my lifestyle change if I can't get out of the rut soon. Any suggestions? Who would have thought that I wouldn't want to eat or I wouldn't be hungry.

Replies

• txtree50
    txtree50 Posts: 51
    Options
    Maybe it's really hot where you live. Are you drinking water? Have you done some kind of exercise? Sometimes we just have days like this. Just keep trying to keep lots of fludis down. Have you been around someone that is sick? Could be a summer cold coming on.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    The only time I have ever felt that way was when I was sick or when I was pregnant (1st trimester). It is one thing to not be hungry, but when you do eat, as in dinner last night or the pasta, did you then feel nauseous? If not, then I would try to just fit in some small snack type meals to be sure to sustain you and to drink lots of water. A visit or phone call to your physician would be recommended too if this persists.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. There are just days where nothing is appealing. I have felt that recently. Just try to eat a little something every couple of hours. Even if its not that great for you, you do need to eat something. You will get past this rut.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I feel that way all the time. Since I am trying not to mindlessly eat I am taking my time and thinking about what I am eating and then just don't find anything that really sounds like I want to eat it. Usually for me this happens on the weekends when I don't have a schedule to my day.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    YES, after a while in is all the same. Then it becomes unsatisfyinggg and you want something that will make your tastbuds explode. I know, been there many times. Like today I went to a restaurant with my kids cause they insisted to go there and I had something a little more in cals but knew I could afford it.( in cals that is). And yes my tastebuds thank me. But my stomach didnt. But now im satisfied yet bloated...lol! Water will be my friend. I aslo went to walmart after and looked at different products to see what is out there that is different to eat becasue it does get boring. So I was there looking at the nutrition labels at just about everything, sometimes you have to mix things up or you will get bored and hungry.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling that way the past couple of weeks. Absolutely nothing sounds good. I have been eating anyway because I'm hungry, but I don't want to cook, I don't want to grocery shop, I don't want to eat out and when I do eat, nothing really tastes good. I don't know what is causing it but it's annoying.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's really hot where you live. Are you drinking water? Have you done some kind of exercise? Sometimes we just have days like this. Just keep trying to keep lots of fludis down. Have you been around someone that is sick? Could be a summer cold coming on.
    Great response, this covers so much! I was thinking of responding with much of what you shared, the heat especially can kill the appetite. I know we need to be eating for fuel but it's tough when your body doesn't want the food.

Perhaps thinking of it as fuel might be a way to get some food intake down. Think of your car, you can't do much with it as the oil gets low, the gas is nearly empty, etc., right? Even if we don't feel like stopping for gas, paying the ungodly prices or pumping it that day, we still need to do it if we want to keep that car moving.

When I think of it like that, it does help me a bit more. Hope something like that works for you as well.

But I do understand, sounds crazy for us to not feel like eating when we used to overeat, binge, eat crap when not hungry and now at times it's hard to eat. I'll add again, the heat can really effect us, I'm having a tough time even getting water down and I luvs me my water!:love:

But I'm pushing myself to do it, if I don't get all my cals in, I don't beat myself up (but trying hard not to go too many days in a row that way or it seems to make it even HARDER to eat then), but it's something we strive for but if you can't one day, well, you simply can't. :flowerforyou:
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Recently I went through a phase were stuff made me nauseaus. Just the scent of it. I made some stir fry I really like and ew. I couldn't even touch it. Not sure what happened. I could eat salad, or PB&J, just nothing incredibly pungent. I would have thought I was pregnant, except I wasnt, lol.

Bottom line, though, it was a brief phase. Maybe I had a little cold. Maybe the exhaustion is wiping it out of you.... It'll pass. And just like people who cheat all weekend and eat whatever they want and still lose weight, people who just can't stomach food for a couple of days won't ruin their diet either.

Hope you feel better.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i hear ya. i got like that when my dad died in may and now i am fighting it again (my grandma [dad's mom] died). i would take one bite of something and throw the rest away. nothing was what i wanted, even when i 'wanted' it, ya know? i would feel physical hunger but just not be able to eat. what helped me was to eat snack food (large soft pretzels with nacho cheese, crunch and munch, string cheese, sonic smoothie drinks, starbucks, etc.). i was surprised at how quickly a bite here and a bite there added up calorie-wise. i know i wasn't fueling my body properly, but heck, it was good enough at the time. try drinking your calories instead of eating them. that may help.
    dawn
  • saraegentry
    saraegentry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The only time I have ever felt that way was when I was sick or when I was pregnant (1st trimester). It is one thing to not be hungry, but when you do eat, as in dinner last night or the pasta, did you then feel nauseous? If not, then I would try to just fit in some small snack type meals to be sure to sustain you and to drink lots of water. A visit or phone call to your physician would be recommended too if this persists.

I was going to say, sounds like you're pregnant! lol. I felt that way with both of my pregnancies, in the 1st trimester. Nothing ever sounded good.

But... if you're sure that's not the case, you might just need to go to the grocery store for some new options :)
  • shintowa
    shintowa Posts: 37
    Options
    Happens to me all the time (and no, never been pregnant, heh). Some days I just want nothing to do with food, and others I just can't eat enough (so I eat low cal, highly filling foods, so at least that hunger feeling goes away). This is perfectly normal, and most people go through it every now and then. Just do what you can, maybe drink your calories like another person said in the form of homemade fruit/veg shakes, and just see what happens. If this goes on for too long, then yes you should consult a professional, but chances are that you 1) mentally don't want the same thing you always have 2) your body doesn't want the same things it always has 3) you have a slight cold 4) you overheated, and need water before nutrients 5) your body just needs a break (and this can happen, sometimes it just needs to have a break) 6) there is something going on in your life/mind that is making you unable to enjoy foods enough to eat them (like stress or grief).

As you can see above, there are a lot of reasons that you might not be able to eat/aren't hungry. Just watch yourself, try to do the best that you can with healthy foods, and just wait this out.
  • Tandksmommy10
    Options

I was drinking and keeping hydrated. And the only real exercise I did was walking around at the zoo type thing we were at. It wasn't anything extra. Strangest thing.
  • Tandksmommy10
    Options

I am definitely not pregnant. I have an IUD in. I didn't feel nauseous when I ate, just had no real desire to eat and wasn't interested in what was in front of me.
  • ebean
    ebean Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm actually experiencing this, today. Its VERY strange. I even went ahead and prepared some food and then threw it out because I couldn't stomach the thought of eating it.

It's -definitely- not pregnancy for me, so I don't know. Maybe it's our bodies just adjusting. Not sure. I'll try to find -something- I want to eat tonight, just so I'm not starving, but I honestly have no idea what that's going to be. :/

I'm just trying to drink my 8 glasses of water, I guess. And hoping tomorrow is different. :)
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    i had that feeling today. however it was def. due to the fact that i made a little boo-boo at work and was completely stressing about it. didn't want to eat and couldn't sleep. i'd say at least get some fluids and maybe some soup. believe me i had to force myself to swallow an actual meal today.. ugh!