Healthy lasagne recipes please

Options
jjay23
jjay23 Posts: 160 Member
I have to use wheat free pasta sheets and am using pork instead of beef mince but any suggestions on how to make it healthier would be great. I am UK based

Replies

• Taylorferguson1
    Options
    You could try a quorn one replace any meat with quorn use healthy cheese and you should be doing well with that start!
  • JessMahoney1
    JessMahoney1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    make your own tomato sauce! Tinned tomatos, Tomato Puree, fat free Natural yoghurt etc
    Do not add cheese on top
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Using turkey mince or quorn mince would make it lighter. Plus the Hairy Dieters book uses leeks instead of pasta but you could also use courgettes cut length ways.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Bulking out the 'bolognese' part with small diced veggies like celery/carrot/mushrooms will reduce cals/fat too.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    not exactly lasagne, but then again - using wheat free pasta isn't exactly lasagne either:smile: - but friends of mine make a lasagne-esque dish with sliced eggplant or summer squash (sliced lengthwise). IOW - sauce, sliced eggplant/squash, cheese mixture, sauce etc.

I also use ground chicken or make it meatless entirely, just pasta, veg, sauce, cheeses.

I don't know what recipe you're using, but i would use lower fat cheeses in the layer parts, and save the parm /mozzarella for the top
  • jjay23
    Options
    Have had to compromise on the meat as the boyfriend is having a paddy lol already been eating the same as me for a week and he is super fit. Will make my own sauce I think and use fat free natural yogurt. Half cheese to keep him happy! Maybe go for a run to make it better ha ha. Thanks everyone great ideas!
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Instead of using pasta sheets use a layer of leeks - it's an idea from the Hairy Dieters cook book (which I totally recommend). Turkey mince or Quorn mince would definitely make it lighter.
    Use a mix of cheese - Parmesan is full of flavour but you don't need to use as much as grated cheddar.
    For the white sauce use corn flour and skimmed milk - another Hairy Dieters tip.
  • demelzanoo
    demelzanoo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i saw a great recipe done by the Hairy Bikers. it meant replacing the pasta sheets with Leeks. cut along the length and par boiled to soften. I tried it and it was lush!
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The Hairy Bikers/Dieters recipe for "Skinny beef lasagne" which uses unrolled leeks instead of pasta sheets can be found here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/skinny_beef_lasagne_87277
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    the hairy bikers (dieters) recipe is delicious

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/skinny_beef_lasagne_87277

you can also bulk out your mince with carrots, celery, mushrooms, onions, peppers or swap for quorn mince, use skimmed milk and a strong cheddar for the sauce (just not as much of it)

also the "cook yourself thin" book has a lasagne that comes in at 347 a portion, if you google it the recipe comes up (I can't access that website to copy and paste
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I use zucchini for the noodles, just cut them with a mandoline or even a veggie peeler. It works great! I also use zucchini in place of spaghetti noodles using a gadget I bought called the Spirooli, best thing i've purchased in a long time.
  • AlteredSkates
    AlteredSkates Posts: 123 Member
    Options
  • jjay23
    Options
    Who knew so many healthy alternatives! Thanks everyone :)
  • CubicCutie
    CubicCutie Posts: 53
    Options
    Hairy Bikers use leeks sliced as sheets instead of pasta.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I use zucchini as well. Make sure you either put some salt on the slices and let sit to get the water out or microwave a bit to release. I also put a full container of spinach, mushrooms, red pepper, and any other veggie I feel would be good. I use ground turkey and Sargento Off the block mozzarella as it only has 5g of fat per serving and is so good!