HEART RATE MONITORS

Options
Hi everybody I was had a question about heart rate monitors. I was just wondering if all heart rate monitors show calories burned?? The reason I am asking is because I would really like to buy one but its pretty hard to fit in my budget so i want to buy the most least expensive one. Does anyone have any recommendations?? As long as its accurate and shows calories burned that is good enough for me!!

Replies

• naturebaby
    naturebaby Posts: 161
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT4 on amazon. I really like it and it was about 75.00. it does have the chest strap and show cals. burned and how long you were in the burn zone.
  • ashkayali
    Options
    I bought one off of Ebay a few months ago. Nothing fancy but it does the job. I paid somewhere around $15 (shipping included). It has many wonderful functions and counts calories without the chest strap.
  • YvetteJeannine
    YvetteJeannine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No...Only a few select HRM's show calories burned...I've been looking at them myself (reading reviews, comparing, etc.). If I remember correctly, the a few HRM's in the POLAR series shows burned cals...And you can probably get one of those for under $100. When I do get one, I will get one that shows calories burned...That's very important to me as well.
  • shipleyak
    shipleyak Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I got one for $30 bucks at walmart.
  • bdclark75
    bdclark75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've got a Polar, probably the cheapest one available from a few years back. It just shows your current heart rate, and when you finish it tells you how long you exercised and what your average heart rate was. My gym uses Precor cardio equipment, and all I have to do is wear the Polar chest strap and the machines get heart rate info directly from the strap. I don't know if that works with other brands of heart rate monitors though. BTW I've had it about 5 years and haven't had to replace the batteries even with regular use.
  • 40togowoah
    Options
    I suggest the polar heart monitors with the heart strap. It's very accurate and it is nice knowing the actual calories burned because for so many years I would think the stairmaster was burning 600 calories (according to the machine) and now with my polar i know its only 300!
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    can anyone tell me if it's difficult keeping the strap around your chest. i don't want to be bothered with getting gels for accuracy and i definitely don't want it sliding down while i'm running.

i found one with a strap within my price range and would like to buy it soon. i want the strap because of the continuous readout. i don't want to have to stop my workout to take a reading, the only reason i'm not buying the strapless watch, but i don't want to fidget with the strap coming down either.

any insight? thanks.
  • SHALONDAG
    SHALONDAG Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just got the Sportline S7 yesterday and I love it! It has received some mixed reviews but I've tested the accuracy of the HR rate it gives me and it's been accurate every time. And I've worn it all day today and the calories burned have lined up with my estimated BMR. I did a killer workout of Tae bo/ p90x ABD. ripper and jumping jacks, butt kicks & jogging in place. My HRM gave me 1100 calories burned for all of that and I believe it to be an accurate estimate. So far I love it and feel it will really help me achieve my goals. And the icing on the cake is that it only cost me $27 at Walmart which is far less than the price of a lot of the other ones! It doesn't show a continuous heart rate, but I just check my HR frequently during my workout like the instructions say to do. I will definitely use it for all of my workouts!
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    wow

$27 at Walmart

is excellent. very tempting.

i'm assuming this is the watch. i will go look it up. thanks for your review.

still, i think i may go with the strap, as long as i don't have to fuss with it and it stays on without any problems.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    I have a polar F11 and the strap stays on fine. The two ends clip together and it's adjustable so I can make it as tight as it needs to be. And you don't really need to use a gel. Just wet the two electrode thingys on the strap and put it on.
  • kmulhollen
    Options
    I was set to buy a Polar but ended up buying a hrm while shopping at my local Costco, It is the N4 (New Balance). I bought it for $44 thinking at the time I'd return it if it didn't work out.

I LOVE IT! It is accurate and EASY to use. Plus, the price is fantastic! Yes - it does display calories burned, max and min heart rate and time in zone. It has a chest strap that always stays in place no fuss no gels. I can't believe other mfp followers haven't starting raving about this hrm for everything it does so easily at that price!
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I was set to buy a Polar but ended up buying a hrm while shopping at my local Costco, It is the N4 (New Balance). I bought it for $44 thinking at the time I'd return it if it didn't work out.

I LOVE IT! It is accurate and EASY to use. Plus, the price is fantastic! Yes - it does display calories burned, max and min heart rate and time in zone. It has a chest strap that always stays in place no fuss no gels. I can't believe other mfp followers haven't starting raving about this hrm for everything it does so easily at that price!

Same thing happened to me!! I love mine! Amazingly easy to set up, to use, and to wear! I have heard that the Pro-Form with chest strap at Wal-Mart is comparable, but less expensive.