Pre-bariatric surgery weight loss. Anyone else?

Options
Hi I am new on MFP and am wondering if anyone else in the community is preparing to undergo bariatric surgery? My surgery is coming up on June 20th and my surgeon said that I have to lose 15 lbs before then. 15 lbs in 6 weeks seems a bit ambitious but I am going to give it my all! I want to not only lose enough weight for surgery but also learn to make better choices for me and for my family. If anyone else here has been through this or is in the same boat as me, I'd love to hear how it is going for you. Maybe we can support each other!

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This confuses me. As a disclaimer I am just going to say I think in most cases the surgery isn't a good idea. I am not saying it is wrong for you. But, I am still confused. So here goes with my completely intrusive, but hopefully not to rude questions.

1. If you can lose close to 3 lbs a week, why would you need surgery to lose?

2. Do you have PCOS or some other metabolic disorder that this is supposed to help?

3. Have you tried upping your vegetable intake to 8-10 vegetable servings a day?. I have started doing this and I am rarely hungry. The weight is coming off, it's upsy downsy but I am averaging a couple pounds a week. I think the veggies are acting like the gastric bypass surgery in that they aren't leaving room for a lot of other food.

4. Have you tried slow burning exercises like walking, low impact aerobics, stationary bicycling, and ballroom dancing? These activities can be sustained for a couple of hours or broken up into 30-45 minute increments throughout the day for big calorie burns.

And again I don't want to say this is wrong. But, there are a lot of people here that have lost 100 or more pounds without surgery. It may take longer, but the morbidity rate is much lower and there aren't the complications of not being able to absorb nutrients, digestive problems and a host of other issues that occur with this type of surgery. There are also a lot of people that have had it. You have six weeks to talk to people on the boards on both sides of the issue. Personally I think this is a much harder road to go down even if the results come a bit quicker.
  • birdgal
    birdgal Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi I am new on MFP and am wondering if anyone else in the community is preparing to undergo bariatric surgery? My surgery is coming up on June 20th and my surgeon said that I have to lose 15 lbs before then. 15 lbs in 6 weeks seems a bit ambitious but I am going to give it my all! I want to not only lose enough weight for surgery but also learn to make better choices for me and for my family. If anyone else here has been through this or is in the same boat as me, I'd love to hear how it is going for you. Maybe we can support each other!

Try Obesityhelp.com. I think you find more support on that website. Most people on this forum are ill informed about bariatric surgery.
  • mainehorsenut
    Options
    Actually, I have already had a bariatric surgery, 15 years ago. This is a revision for medical reasons not by choice. Your questions/challenges about bariatric surgery are fair ones, though, and frankly it is common for people to misunderstand the point of bariatric surgery. Gastric Bypass (GP) is a permanent weight loss surgery that limits the calories that the body can absorb and also mechanically makes the amount you can eat smaller. I know it seems that if someone can lose 15 lbs in a few weeks then he/she should be able to just keep going and keep losing. Maybe some people can do that but some of us can't. Years of yo-yo'ing weight, health problems, metabolic issues, etc have taken their toll on my overall health to the point where weight loss is no longer a good thing to do, it's got to happen. I admire those who can lose over 100lbs like I have to and keep it off without regaining. After fighting this fight for my entire life, I have come to the conclusion that I am not one of those people. I do wish you the best with your weight loss goals, no matter how you chose to achieve them.
  • mainehorsenut
    Options
    Thanks for the site, Birdgal. I will check it out. I realize that many people do not understand what motivates someone to consider bariatric surgery. My motivations come from both medical and quality of life issues.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Th main forums here are not WLS-friendly! The tools here are amazing for losing weight before and after WLS, as well as for maintenance, though.

Search for groups related to your surgery type (VSGers, Gastric Bypass, etc) and ask your question there. You will receive more support in a WLS group. You can friend me if you'd like.
  • mainehorsenut
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, MOS. I will check them out! It's interesting to see that people who use a fitness/weight loss tool like this would not support everyone else with the same struggle. I'll have to give that some thought! Anyway, I will take your advice and limit my posts to a more WLS-friendly forum as well!
  • cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I wish you luck with your surgery. I know how hard it is to do the surgery and to still have problems. I had a Gastric Band surgery 5 years ago and it did not work for me. I got heavier after the surgery. I have tried all the diets out there and have been doing MFP off and on for 6 years. I have even exercised 3 times a week since I was in my early 20's but nothing helped. Until I was diagnosed with wheat, soy, glutten and Dairy intolerance and I change my eating plan. So add me as a friend if you wish to. I would be happy to support you,

Cassylee
  • swimswimmerswim
    swimswimmerswim Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    15 lbs in 6 weeks seems a bit ambitious but I am going to give it my all!

I lost 4.4 lbs in three days before the surgery by using diet replacement powder, which gave me about 700 kcal per day. We were instructed to begin this method two weeks before the surgery but I was given a slot in the last minute and with a BMI of 37 and being relatively fit and healthy, I wasn't a bad candidate for such short notice. So, remember how unpredictable our bodies can be and that you might be up for a positive surprise. Keep the stress out of the equation, you'll hardly be denied the surgery if you lost a few pounds less, right? The main purpose with our strict diet was to remove fat surrounding the organs.

I lost 30 kg in the first year after the surgery and an additional 10 kg the second year. Instead of loosing 10 more I've gained 8 kg during the past 8 months. I couldn't stay away from cakes and sweets. I know that if I stick to the plan with 7 healthy meals a day, weight will not be a big issue again and as long as I exercise regularly I can enjoy the occasional cake or dessert, it just doesn't have to be an habit again.

You've done it before and will do well again, I'm sure of that.

Best / swim
  • GrammyPammy57
    Options
    The purpose of the pre-surgery diet is to reduce the amount of fat around the liver. This helps the doctors when they are in there laproscopically manuvering around your liver. Through Team Bariatrics in Goshen Indiana, it was a two week before surgery diet. I did lost about 20 pounds during that time and it gave me a head start on my post surgery weight loss. The high protien, low cal supplements that should be provided are easy enough to live with for two weeks and help you get past that being hungry stage. Just hang in there and it will be great. I am now at the 3 month mark and feeling wonderful. Down 40 lbs since surgery and looking forward to summer for the first time in many years!!!!:bigsmile:
  • khontz
    khontz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started my journey almost a year ago. I was 425lbs and I lost 50 on the pre-surgery program and had my bariatric sleeve surgery on Feb. 25, and since I am down almost another 80 lbs in almost 3 months. I too tried the gym and proper diet before going this road but had no success. I got stronger but in 3 months of working out 3 and 4 days a week only lost 3 pounds in 3 months after paying for the gym and a personal trainer and dietician to tell me what to eat i had no success. At that point my dr recomended the bariatric surgery as an option if as he put it ... I wanted to see 55!!!!
    That was the slap in the face I needed since I watched my parents suffer with their weight and ultimately kill them both. I am 47 and lost both parents in the last 8 years and let me tell you it hasn't been easy. I am doing this for ME not any other reason but ME. I want to see my boys get married and have kids. I don't want them to have to bury me untill my time.
    Open to discuss it with anyone but it was my life saver. I am doing well and now am off all my meds and CPAP machine also.
  • mainehorsenut
    Options
    Thanks for all the support. I know SWL isn't for everyone. And just to update you all, I HAVE lost 10 lbs already!!! I start the 2-week pre-surgical liquid-only diet on June 6th for my June 20th procedure so I am now far more confident that I will meet my surgeon's mark of 15-20 by then!
  • kalilioness
    kalilioness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am on the road, if it all works out, to getting the sleeve done before the end of the year. I have my consultation with the Surgeon on June 18th. I am very excited. I am wondering how people are using MFP before and after the surgery? I imagine that after surgery the calorie count will warn that we are not eating enough but how do you utilize this tool best? thanks!
  • alyjourneys
    alyjourneys Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was sleeved on May 22 and I'm proud of my decision. It's not a simple or easy one. Some think that having WLS is the easy way out and they are wrong. You have to work it and exercise is important. Add me as a friend. Good luck.
  • Lisbeth916
    Options
    I am having my sleeve done on June 17th! My only restriction pre surgery is 1000 calorie diet starting 8 days before and clear liquid diet 3 days before. I just started my 1000 calorie yesterday and MFP did not like what I am doing... said I need to up my calories. One day at a time. Good luck with your new way of life!
  • TammyRN1970
    Options
    Hi, I am also trying to loose weight prior to surgery. I am still waiting on my surgery date, but probably in mid august, I have to have a echo done before my cardiologist will release me, that is scheduled for July 16th, so about a month after. Do you know when your having your yet. How are you doing? What type of WLS are you having. I am doing gastric bypass.
  • cher32013
    Options
    Just started the kaiser options class and on week 3. I have 9 more weeks before i can get my referral for surgery. How did any of you guys get through this classes?
  • mlpoulton
    mlpoulton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm looking for the book .. weight loss surgery for dummies ... does any one have one they are finished with I'm having a hard time finding one.
  • pkquillen
    pkquillen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery and I started putting weight back on. You have 9 months to loose your weight (Period).I was told a year, but I moved shortly after surgery and didn't follow up with my doctor which you have to do. The surgery hands you the latter. It's up to you to climb it. It's not easy. If I had it to do over again, I would have the surgery, but I would do what I did afterwards. I thought I knew better, but I did not. So, good luck with the surgery, but don't get cocky like I did and make sure you do what the doctor tells you to do to a T!
  • cdplatt1965
    cdplatt1965 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    khontz

I sure am glad I come across your post.

I am 48 and 409 lbs I take two shots a day for my diabetes and some times up to five shots a day plus oral meds. Also on BP pills and cholesterol pills and I have a CPAP. I have been on disability for over a year now because of all this and it is extremely hard to walk for more then maybe 50' or so before my back and legs give out. This is because of other injuries from when I was younger but all the extra weight don't help at all.
    I have started jumping through all the hoops that insurance requires I go through before surgery. Started this back in June and am about to the point now to be scheduled to have the surgery. I have been given a green light to have the Sleeve like you had.
    I am supposed to get down to 385lbs before surgery. I lost 3 lbs a week and got down to 394 lbs and seemed like I was doing good and would make my goal weight. But then my last visit to the nutritionist I had gained it all back :(
    I have one more appointment in Dec with the nutritionist and then a class in Jan. I guess to tell me more about after surgery and what will happen and what I am supposed to do. I see the Doctor at that time also and I am praying that I loose enough weight before that time because I am sure they will give me a surgery date then. I am thinking late Jan or feb some time.
    I know if I could loose weight and keep it off and be pain free so I could exercise and did not have the health problems then I would not have the surgery but with the chance being so high to get rid of my diabetes I am all for getting it done.
    Any way sorry this is so long. My real reason for posting is to ask if any one has tried diet pills or any thing else to loose weight before surgery ? I know right now I am doing between 1500 to 2000 Cal a day according to My fitness pal. And that is down from the 2500 I was doing 6 months ago.

Thanks for any info you can help with.
    Chuck
  • Just starting my 6 months need help along the way