When do you start looking for an apartment?

Options
Erikalynne18
Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
Just to clarify this is NOT my first time apartment hunting lol. But we are moving in August and I am already searching kijiji daily for an apartment. My boyfriend thinks I should wait until the middle of July but I just don't want to be stuck without an apartment come August 1st. We live in a different province so this is a BIG move!

So just out of curiosity, when would you start looking? :)

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Now. Scope out the options, and get a feel for what suits your needs.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    definitely now. We are doing the same and have already started. If you wait you may have to settle for less than you want.
  • Erikalynne18
    Options
    The problem I am hitting at the moment is that everything is available immediately or for July 1st and many landlords are not willing to hold the apartment :( Well unless I pay for June and July lol. Sadly money just doesn't grow on trees!
  • Erikalynne18
    Options
    Will keep looking though... at least I can plan a budget this way and know approximately how much we need saved for damage deposit and first months rent :)
  • logicofsound
    Options
    It depends on where you're moving to. If you're moving to a college town or city, it's easy to start early because a lot of the places open August 1st for incoming students. However, it doesn't sound like this is the case for you.

I would scope out the areas you think you might want to live in, seek advice from people who live there on areas to stay away from. Do a lot of searching for prices/room so when you're closer you'll know a good deal. If you don't mind being in an apartment complex for a year, find lots of decent quality complexes and contact them - they may not list August availability yet but that doesn't mean they don't have some coming up. I'd also see if real estate agents in the area could help (sometimes they also help with apartment searches). Good luck!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My bf and I are moving out of state (he's moving mid July, but I can't move until mid December) and he just signed a lease yesterday. We've been looking since we found out he got the job a couple of weeks ago, then he flew out this week to check out the apartments in person. 2 of our top 5 didn't have openings and wouldn't for a while, 1 wasn't near as good as the pics or website made it to be. The one we got (our top choice) only had 3 available yesterday morning, but was down to the last available one when my bf applied and signed for it yesterday afternoon. Good apartments tend to go pretty fast, at least where we were looking. If it was me, I'd start looking and calling around now. You just tell the apartment management that you're not planning on moving until August, and ask if they know if they'll have anything available. Good luck!

Also, a real estate agent is a really good option if you're unfamiliar with the area. We had found some really good apartments online, but after talking to a realtor found out that the area was really busy and that with all the highways right next to the complex they had a higher crime rate.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Depends - looking for an apartment complex? No harm in looking at options now.

Looking for a house to rent? It's too early. Most places won't post this far in advance, typically just a month at most. I am moving Mid-July and I just started to look at apartment complexes but I am also hoping a house will pop up.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Psssh. I'm moving a couple states up in December and I'm already looking. It's good to explore your options, find what you like/don't like. Save the ones you do like and see if they have any openings come time to move, but don't stop looking when you have found a few that you like.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    When I use to apartment hunt I waited until I had the money for first, last, and security. Then I would do it monthly, because like you said most apartments are available the first of the month. A real estate agent definitely won't hurt. I decided to buy a house where I live though because it's cheaper to own then to rent, our mortgage is 318.00 :D 8 Acres, 2 story 2 Bedroom 1.5 baths, with a pond! and Canadian geese and goslings! But buying in my area is nothing like buying in surrounding areas to us. This same place would be 700.00 mortgage to 1400 in the closest "cities" to where we live. Also we plan on staying, obviously if we were going to move it'd be apartments. No idea what your situation is in that regard but buying is always an option.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It's never too early to start researching different areas and to talk to an agent. It might be too early to start contacting complexes, but maybe not, probably depends on their turnover. Anyway, I would definitely be checking map quest and places like that to see the layout of the city you are moving to and to check walkability scores and to see where parks and things like that are. The more you know ahead of time the less it will feel like you are a fish out of water.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think July is too late. If you do not care where you live you just want to be there then I say waiting a month before you have to move is fine, that is what most of my friends do. I started looking 7 month before, but I am cheap and wanted the closest place possible to the school. Starting a few month before you move in to a place is good because it helps you find out what you are going to pay for what you feel you really want or need so you can set the money aside early so there wont be a last minute scramble for cash. Good luck finding a place. If he does not want to look that does not mean you have to stop.