Thinking about moving from Chicagoland to North Carolina

Options
13»

Replies

• C110266
    C110266 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I live in VA, but very close to the VA/NC state line and have visited parts of NC for film work. Winston-Salem is nice if you live outside the "city" area and Ashville is great for peaceful living. If you decide you want to go to the beach, Wilmington is awesome :)

Thank you GMtribble90. I have been to VA :). Winston-Salem sounds lovely too. Seems like there may be too many options :). I love the beach and WILL be going to Wilmington for sure. Have a wonderful lady.
  • C110266
    Options
    I adore NC. It's a wonderful state...and because of that, it's getting crowded,

I agree, I currently live in New Bern, North Carolina and I couldn't believe how everyone down my street and in the neighborhood were from Ohio! I am the only native of North Carolina on the entire block. (Not that I'm complaining. I love the business and development it brings here.)

North Carolina is such a diverse place to live. It really depends on what you're into. Many NC towns are college towns and if you're not into the Night Life places like Greenville wouldn't be a good place for you. Places like Asheville are a little more "hip" and intellects. If you go to New Bern, it's full of retired people 55-75. Why not come down for one week and explore this great state? Trust me, it will be something you never forget!

Also, New Bern is where the majority of the Nicolas Sparks books took place. =)

Thank you for responding Toscarthearma. Those Ohioans! How dare they :). Def not into the night life. If i want it i can go to it. I like calm and peaceful. Not looking for retirees just yet :). I definitely will come to explore in the near future. Thank you again. BTW you look fab in your pictures. Great job! Blessings to you and yours.
  • C110266
    Options
    Not sure what your work situation is, but as someone who just made a cross-country move, unemployment rate was one of my deciding factors.
    Orange and Chatham counties have the lowest unemployment rate in NC around 6%, and some counties are as high as almost 16%. http://www.wral.com/news/state/page/4879060/ is an interesting map of the rates by county.

I understand wanting to move, I just left the Detroit/Ann Arbor area for San Antonio and I love how the sky is always blue! People from down here don't understand the gray Midwestern winter sky.
    gogoboobzilla-lol thank you for your comments. You are right, we need to pay attention to the unemployment rate as well as my career change opportunities. I am planning on having my own business going out of the corporate world eventually. I am into the holistic arts and spiritualism and will be looking for like-minded people as well. I will need to do more research on that as well.
    Have a blessed day/week/year/life. Thank you :).
  • C110266
    Options
    I grew up in Winston Salem and also lived in the Chapel Hill area. On the eastern side of the state, definitely check out Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Durham. I think there is a lot going on there that you would enjoy. On the western side, I second the above recommendation of Asheville -- great place to visit and might be the sort of thing you are looking for. Can you take a week or two and just drive around the state? That would be a great vacation.

NC does have both mountains and beaches but it is actually a pretty "long" state so it's not as convenient to experience both as it might seem. I grew up in the middle of the state, and as a result didn't spend too much time at either.

Good luck -- I love how you are following your nose on this!

Thank you jsl-mfp. Love your forwardness. I will take all into consideration. Definitely need to follow thy nose :) Can't wait to explore! Blessings to you and yours.
  • C110266
    Options
    I live just 20 min South of Charlotte (in South Carolina) where we have much lower taxes and less congestion. I'm originally from NJ, so the s l o w pace of the south does take some getting used to and I almost decked a guy who started wheeling my buggy out of Publix:) He wheeled it all the way to my car and unloaded it! How dare he be so courteous:laugh:
    Check out Fort Mill, SC...the new upcoming town near Charlotte.., or Asheville, NC it's just gorgeous there but a bit far from any beach.

Thank you Blank canvas. Love that BTW! All important things to take into consideration. Sometimes we can get so independent. It can be good and not so good. Blessings to you and yours.
  • C110266
    Options
    I've lived in NC most of my life, but I lived in Lisle IL for a little while many years ago. With that said...I know a lot of people from other states that live here. The hardest thing for them to get used to (according to them) is the slower pace here. I would suggest you take a vacation here, and see if you're OK being bored. It's not a "boring" state per se...there is A LOT to do. Just make sure it's the sort of things YOU like to do. Not everyone is OK spending the day hiking, or working in the yard, etc.

I adore NC. It's a wonderful state...and because of that, it's getting crowded, so choose your location carefully. I'm happy giving you as much information as I have about certain areas.

Another area you may want to look at, is the Fort Mill SC area. It's right outside of Charlotte NC (a stone's throw, we like to say), and when I say right outside, you can literally see Charlotte from your window in Fort Mill if you live in the right position to be able to do so. =) Fort Mill has A LOT to offer as far as low tax rate, Anne's Greenway (look it up), Carowinds is RIGHT there...and you're centrally located near Pineville, Matthews, Charlotte, and not far from the Huntersville and Davidson area (a favorite area around here for an art excursion).

Good luck! Come visit, and see what you think!
    Thank you kindly for taking the time to respond. Good idea on considering crowdedness. Don't want that. I will need to look up Anne's Greenway! Thank you for the heads up. Love art! Thank you so much! Many blessings.