Just ran 10 K...and signed up for a half marathon!

Options
I must be mad but fresh from running only my second ever 10k race this morning (in a pretty respectable time of 1 hour 6 mins), I have just signed up to do my first half marathon in October!! Eeeeek!! Anyone have any good training and/or diet tips?

Replies

• LizServo
    LizServo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!

I like using the Runner's World SmartCoach to help me with my training plans.

Since you'll be training over the summer, just make sure to stay hydrated (bring water, Gatorade, Gu, Beans, etc. on your runs).

Good luck!
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Nope. Congratulations on your 10K. I did my first one a few weeks ago [not a formalised one, just ended up going to Tower Bridge and back and realised afterwards it was 10K].

I have my first half marathon in September. Looking forward to it very much.

As for diet tips, have this. Pre-marathon food.

premarathonfood_zps85240015.jpg

Remember not to eat too much beforehand. This should be enough.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I like the Runner's World Smart Coach plan as well.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say congrats!
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I like the runners world smart coach too- training for some 5ks this summer but ultimate goal is half marathon in November. Good luck!!
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will check out the smart coach thing!

I know bananas are good workout food...but I HATE them!! Anything else to recommend?
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Tripletmom says:
    I like the runners world smart coach too- training for some 5ks this summer but ultimate goal is half marathon in November. Good luck!!

Interesting as I did the C25K earlier this year and am planning a half in November and ... I am a triplet dad (don't know the other poster).

Triplet dads like to use the sympathy gain from the pregnancy as an excuse... :bigsmile:

Anyway, hats off!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will check out the smart coach thing!

I know bananas are good workout food...but I HATE them!! Anything else to recommend?

Longest I have run is 10 miles, but I have friends who run halfs and more. The biggest thing is just don't eat the wrong things (no bloating, gassy stuff) and don't eat much close to it. The special jelly beans for running are suggested a lot. One friend likes a Special K bar or similar, purposefully avoiding the "better" brands as they are heavier.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I'm a big fan of Hal Higdon's novice plan.

One of my favorite pre-half foods (I eat it 2 hours before) is a PB & J sandwich.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I use the Hal Higdon plans available online. Here are some more great tips...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    To 55in13

Hats off to you as well!! :) good luck with your training!!
  • jjlibunao
    jjlibunao Posts: 78
    Options
    Congratulations on your first 10K! Once you do your first half marathon, you will be addicted! Allow yourself at least 3 good months to train for your half. I always use Hal Higdon's training schedules:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

You can print them out or add them to as an app on your phone. I use Novice 1. But the only thing I change is I do my long run (12 miles) two weeks before the race and taper to 8 miles one week before.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first 10K! Once you do your first half marathon, you will be addicted! Allow yourself at least 3 good months to train for your half. I always use Hal Higdon's training schedules:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

You can print them out or add them to as an app on your phone. I use Novice 1. But the only thing I change is I do my long run (12 miles) two weeks before the race and taper to 8 miles one week before.

I love Hal Higdon plans. They're so simple. I used the Novice 2 plan and also moved my 11 and 12-mile runs up a week so that I could do a shorter long run the week before the race. Additionally, I ditched the Wednesday runs and replaced them with cross training. Usually Zumba. :smile:
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips - I've got my Hal Higdon training plan all set up in a spreadsheet (geeky, but I love spreadsheets!) and started today! Hal's plan is 12 weeks long and I have 19 weeks until the half marathon, so I've dropped the number of runs per week from 4 to 3 and spread it out a bit. Woop woop! So motivated right now and long may this continue! Ask me how I'm doing in a few weeks time... ;-)