The very NON-miraculous weight loss drug

Options
Just read about a weight loss drug that goes on the market next week. It's supposed to help people feel more full by playing with serotonin transmittters. It's potentially addictive and its possible side effects include suicide thoughts, a feeling of being outside your body, agitation, hallucination, rigid muscles, trouble breathing and on and on. And with all that, in trials subjects lost 3.7% of their weight over a year. That's less than 10 pounds over a year lost by a 250-pound person, less than a pound a month. Why is the FDA approving such things?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-33816_162-57588348/beliviq-first-fda-approved-weight-loss-drug-in-years-not-a-miracle-cure-expert-says/

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/belviq-side-effects.html

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Because the majority of American adults are overweight or obese, some morbidly obese, and everyone is demanding that 'someone' do 'something' about the obesity problem...rather than take on responsibility for themselves and learn to stop overeating, there are many people who would rather take a drug like this.

You would not believe...the number of people who ask me what my 'secret' is, and then their faces fall when I say I eat at a calorie deficit and exercise.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Just read about a weight loss drug that goes on the market next week. It's supposed to help people feel more full by playing with serotonin transmittters. It's potentially addictive and its possible side effects include suicide thoughts, a feeling of being outside your body, agitation, hallucination, rigid muscles, trouble breathing and on and on. And with all that, in trials subjects lost 3.7% of their weight over a year. That's less than 10 pounds over a year lost by a 250-pound person, less than a pound a month. Why is the FDA approving such things?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-33816_162-57588348/beliviq-first-fda-approved-weight-loss-drug-in-years-not-a-miracle-cure-expert-says/

Sounds like a typical weekend at my house. But, seriously I am sure people will read all of that and do the math that it's 10 pounds and still take the drug.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Because the majority of American adults are overweight or obese, some morbidly obese, and everyone is demanding that 'someone' do 'something' about the obesity problem...rather than take on responsibility for themselves and learn to stop overeating, there are many people who would rather take a drug like this.

You would not believe...the number of people who ask me what my 'secret' is, and then their faces fall when I say I eat at a calorie deficit and exercise.
    This. I have had people hound me for weeks because they refuse to believe that "eat better, eat less and move more" is all I did. There was a great article called "Fat City" about this, written by a doctor who worked at a gastric bypass, stomach band and such clinic. They had one patient that they were concerned would continue to overeat with the band in place, which can cause tremendous harm, so they recommended he not get the surgery. When told, he demanded that they do something. After all, isn't it their job to help him? People want the results, but can't stomach the thought of putting in the work (or else, they'll be perpetually "trying" to lose weight without ever seriously commiting). It's the reason fad diets are so popular. I doubt they'll even care about the side effects. All they'll hear is "lose weight without trying".
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

As other posters responses really, much same as some folk scoffing grease burger & chips but thinking that a having a diet cola with it makes it all healthy, so in their mind it is.
  • cristynfaye
    cristynfaye Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It's hard to have an opinion one way or the other without having a link for the actual studies for the drug, and I don't think the links you provided had any information on the studies. Sample size, methodology, correlations, results, things like that are important in determining whether or not something is safe, and that's what the FDA goes by. In general with weight loss, I'd lean on the side of just having a healthy diet and exercise regime, but I'm not going to discount a drug just because it's a drug, without reading the actual studies.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Hear, hear.
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It's hard to have an opinion one way or the other without having a link for the actual studies for the drug, and I don't think the links you provided had any information on the studies. Sample size, methodology, correlations, results, things like that are important in determining whether or not something is safe, and that's what the FDA goes by. In general with weight loss, I'd lean on the side of just having a healthy diet and exercise regime, but I'm not going to discount a drug just because it's a drug, without reading the actual studies.

I believe you can learn all you want about Belviq here: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2012/022529lbl.pdf

I have read all of the information about Belviq and concluded that, at least for me, it's not worth it. By sticking with what I am doing on MyFitnessPal I know that I can lose more weight in a year than I could with Belviq, and I don't have to risk having any drug side effects. Once you figure out the safe and effective way to lose weight (safe kcal deficit + exercise) you don't need a pill. :smile:
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options

I would agree if what we were doing here was saying that Belviq was effective...then we'd want to know what kinds of studies. But when the study they come up with, the one the FDA bases its decision on, finds it's NOT very effective, and I find 3.7% to be very ineffective, then you know it's not a great drug.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

^ Wise words.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    This isn't a new concept by any drug company. Phentermine, and Orlistat are out on the market now and marketed as non miraculous weight loss drugs with very moderate weight loss result, YET people will take the opportunity to invest in them because when it comes to weight loss, many disregard safety over a few pounds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Endorphins are THE best drug out there... best part is they are ALL NATURAL!

Cost? Pftht all you have to is BUST YOUR A** IN THE GYM!

There is no magic pill, there never will be. Eat healthy and bust your a**.

Now go...
  • mlopez9561
    mlopez9561 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Money talks!!!!
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    All those dangerous side effects for a lb a month loss? Damn! It's as if the government is approving this junk so that users will be in need of more drugs to combat the side effects.
  • zapp1
    zapp1 Posts: 5
    Options
    .... is demanding that 'someone' do 'something' about the obesity problem...rather than take on responsibility for themselves and learn to stop overeating.....

Agree with this. No one feels they should be responsible for their own actions anymore, and they want a pill to fix whatever ails them. In addition they want it to happen now, and expend no effort in the fix.

Excuses are easy, exercise is hard.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    In for the hallucinations.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    All those dangerous side effects for a lb a month loss? Damn! It's as if the government is approving this junk so that users will be in need of more drugs to combat the side effects.
    Is it the job of the FDA to babysit us?

We are adults, and doctors are armed with information. We need to take some responsibility for ourselves! The FDA has made it clear what the risks are. It's not their job to weigh the risks and benefits for each person.

Would I take it? Hell no! But that does not mean I can decide for someone else.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Is it the job of the FDA to babysit us?

We are adults, and doctors are armed with information. We need to take some responsibility for ourselves! The FDA has made it clear what the risks are. It's not their job to weigh the risks and benefits for each person.

Would I take it? Hell no! But that does not mean I can decide for someone else.
    It's the FDA's job to determine whether a drug is safe and effective and not to allow it on the market unless it is both. now of course all drugs have side effects, but given the potential problems with this one, measured against a benefit that is barely discernible, I'd call this one not so safe and effective.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    In for the hallucinations.
    I know right? If it wasn't for the suicidal side-effect, this sounds like a drug for a great trip.