25 Foods You Should Never Eat-- some are surprising!

Options
I found this article online. What's different about this list is that it doesn't list "duh!" foods like quadruple hamburgers or deep-fried snickers bars. A sugar-laden smoothie, a frightening "healthy" frozen dinner, a grim granola bar and a bunch more. Check it out!

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20307363_1,00.html

Replies

• dtcauley4
    dtcauley4 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Good information..but all the picture made me hungry =)
  • Lauris83
    Lauris83 Posts: 58
    Options
    oh man I used to always eat that quiznos salad! and I always thought I was being "good" for choosing it lol. That's why I like mfp, I can check the calories on food before I even get to a restaurant. Thanks for the link :)
  • Equilibrium
    Equilibrium Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. When I see these sorts of titles, banning some sort of behaviour or food, I'm always extremely skeptical. I generally think that a person can eat anything while on a diet, as long as they're aware of the price (number of calories) to be paid.

After reading the details of the article, though, I'm shocked. Why would anyone eat a 2000 calorie shake??? I haven't lived in the US for about 10 years now, but I can see how much harder it is to eat out in the States versus in the UK. It's bad enough here, but here the serving sizes are much smaller (well, except at places like KFC or McD where it's the same).

I used to eat out all the time when I lived in the States -- probably 6-7 times a week. I wonder how much weight I would have gained if I had continued to eat out I did then?

Anyway, I guess it all comes back to having adequate information about what you're eating. I know that I wouldn't choose that Quiznos salad, as good as it looks, if I knew how many calories it had vs the other options there. Maybe some day there will be adequate food labeling, even at restaurants. Until then, though, I guess it's best to research before going to a restaurant. And for me, not eating out very often helps.
  • zuzka
    zuzka Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thanks..bump:)
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    The article is ok but sort of misleading on some things like the Smoothie King. That is a Weight Gainer Shake for body builders so it is not suppose to be light.
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    Most of those things I'd assume weren't really that good anyway.

I mean a hot dog in a pretzel? I rarely touch pretzels (not that they have them that readily available in South Australia as it is *we're behind the times or americanising our population down here*)
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Ok, there are a few "duh" foods.... but still, several surprises.
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    There's an easy answer:

Don't eat anything that you don't have the nutritional information for before you order it. Most fast food restaurants have their nutritional information online now, and same for store bought stuff. Also, at least in Canada, by law they have to put the nutritional info right on the package in the grocery store.

Watch out for those sneaky restaurants though. They've discovered that if they list the components to your Happy Meal separately, you're more likely to buy them thinking that you're consuming less calories (because you thought the fries were included). Thankfully, the toy is usually calorie-free.

One way they can get you is in the fine print, namely "how big is a serving"? If it's a single serving package, it might still say "200 cal. per 1 cup and come in a package that contains 2.5 cups. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

One thing I notice about the food finder for this site is that I have to be very careful about the member entered ones. Some people are exacting and I love every last one of you guys! Others, I swear, are putting in numbers that make themselves feel better but are not accurate at all, even though the packaging should give you almost everything you need for an accurate entry.

Also, there are differences between US packaged portions and Canada packaged portions sometimes. A Canadian instant oatmeal might be 31g instead of 44g and that makes a big difference to the calorie/nutrition count.

Another thing that gets confusing is where someone enters something like "Weight Watcher's Chocolate Cake" when there is more than one version. Be as specific as you can on the name because one "Fettucine Alfredo with Spring Vegetables" is not the same, necessarily, as the same brand's "Fettucine Alfredo in a Creamy Sauce".

Feh, I'm ranting.. sorry.

Mirii
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Wow...Check the Sodium in some of these Food. I got palpitations just looking at it :)
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Checking out the article now....thanks :flowerforyou:
  • willgetthere
    Options
    Yikes! Makes me feel sick just looking at the foods. Have to agree with Mirabilis in terms of the size of servings. They had an interesting picture up on the gym wall which showed the size difference between a cup of coffee and a muffin from 20 yrs ago compared to today. A big difference (almost double). They also showed other foods, which goes to show WHY we are getting fatter without ever really thinking about it. And the worst thing is is that the manufacturers know this by increasing the size of clothing to accommodate our growing girth without increasing the size of the labels... i.e. a size 12 today (NZ) use to be classed as a size 14-16 20 yrs ago (different sizing to the US & UK but you get the picture).

If I were to pull out an old pair of jeans sized 12, I'd have to be size 8-10 to fit them! And manufacturers have made beautiful jeans in stretch material which means you can squeeze more in!

I reckon bring back the old servings and the beautiful tailored suits in non-stretch fabrics :heart: