Finding the balance

Hello,
I'm new to mfp and wanted some advice please? I have 30lbs to lose and tbh my only consistent exercise at the moment is Bikram Yoga. Im 5'4 so I'm bulky everywhere really I'm keen to tone and slim my arms thighs and tummy would doing abit of weights help I should I weight until I have lost abit more weight?
In the past when I have exercised I would get muscle definition but with some fat on top. What do you think ? Some advice and abit motivational coaching would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    What's your current weight? I would go heavy on cardio with some light weight work till the it starts to come off then balance out the two programs equally
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Strength training can be done whilst losing weight and can consist of lifting weights, body weight exercises, yoga (which you already do) and pilates.

Strength training will help maintain muscle whilst you lose weight (you are unlikely to gain muscle whilst eating at a deficit) and eating at a deficit will reduce body fat, and doing both should give you the toned visual most people are looking to achieve.

Personally, I like to lift as I can't get on with yoga. If you want to lift, I recommend you follow a programme such as The New Rules of Lifting for Women (very popular) or get a PT. I went with the PT option.

Good luck.
  • Iwanttoweigh10stone
    Iwanttoweigh10stone Posts: 6 Member
    Hi
    My current weight is 170lbs
  • Iwanttoweigh10stone
    Iwanttoweigh10stone Posts: 6 Member
    Strength training can be done whilst losing weight and can consist of lifting weights, body weight exercises, yoga (which you already do) and pilates.

Strength training will help maintain muscle whilst you lose weight (you are unlikely to gain muscle whilst eating at a deficit) and eating at a deficit will reduce body fat, and doing both should give you the toned visual most people are looking to achieve.

Personally, I like to lift as I can't get on with yoga. If you want to lift, I recommend you follow a programme such as The New Rules of Lifting for Women (very popular) or get a PT. I went with the PT option.

Good luck.
    Thanks Flixie I will look up the new rules of lifting