Starting back & feeling overwhelmed

Options
I'm just getting back to eating healthy (after stopping and gaining back most of the weight lost). I'm looking forward to restarting the journey. I have a VERY busy schedule and am finding it difficult to stay motivated, espcially when it seems like I have SO far to go. Any advice or tips would be really helpful.

Replies

• ravenbard
    ravenbard Posts: 51
    Options
    Just remember what you want..... then go for it. You can do it, everyone in here finds it hard but you must be committed or you will fail.... Look at other's food diary and see what they are eating. Are you diabetic?
  • jmolborn05
    jmolborn05 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Nope, I am not diabetic.
  • Burnbaby13
    Burnbaby13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! I recently came back after losing last year and regaining. I'm finding that this time I am even more motivated. Part of the key for me is not to get bored with the same routine and same foods. I am trying new recipes and ingredients this time around and so far it seems to be working. (I've actually been back on the wagon since around May 1, 2013. Good luck with your journey!
  • Rena42
    Rena42 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to make friends on MFP. They'll help you through it. Everyone has been incredibly encouraging. It makes it so much easier when you have a group of people who are in the same boat, right by your side, cheering you on. You don't have to do it alone!
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I took a few months off due to moving and a lot of other stuff, after feeling fizzled out. Now I find I tend to eat more 'bad' food, and I think it's really psychological, since I am not working outside the home and a ton of other life circumstances have changed. Good lcuk, and do your best--that's all any of us can do.
  • ellencreynolds
    Options
    I am trying really hard to get back into eating healthy and exercising daily. I have been very sporadic on both and have gained 8 pounds. My big struggle is I crave sweets. I get stressed I eat, I get depressed I eat. Any suggestions on beating the sweets cravings?
  • mandtangedahl
    mandtangedahl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have mfp friends and keep your diary completely open to them, that's been the key for me. without that accountability, I would have gone downhill by now for sure.
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    I agree have friends on here we are going through the same thing, it helps to have support!
  • Kamatayan
    Kamatayan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with Rena42, friends here have made this much more easier and enjoyable. You, or anyone else, are invited to send me a friend request. I'm a bit quiet at first, but I do my best to encourage.
  • germanshepsrule
    Options
    hi, i'm new too. I have been here for just over a week and doing ok... had a bad day today though as i just craved crisps and feeling very hungry.

My goal is to lose about a stone and a half, being only 5ft 2, any extra weight shows. At the moment just need lots of motivation!!
  • ann27eliot
    ann27eliot Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just want to say i like this site. So far it seems to be helping. Obviously tracking was the key for me.
  • ursularigg
    Options
    A co-worker and I do MFP together and that helps keep me on the straight and narrow. We also run together after work. It helps to surround yourself with likeminded people just like an addict has to be around people who help them stay clean.
  • Rangersgirl6720
    Rangersgirl6720 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you really want it, you will make time. I am a single mother, work full time and have a teenager involved in a lot of activities, I squeese in run and/or a workout daily, even if that means getting up at 4:30 am, or jogging around the soccer field while watching her play. I also walk for the 1st 30 minutes of my lunch hour everyday. Remember that you are important and make time for you!
  • ditzyFlip
    ditzyFlip Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, for sure! I was happy at 110lb, but got caught back into eating sweets and eating too much in general. Now I've gained back 10lb and starting from the beginning at 120lb. So now I'm trying to return to better eating habits and eliminating all the unnecessary food and drink that I love. However, it's hard when your girlfriend has a really fast metabolism and gets to eat whatever she wants, "all day err day".

This will be a long summer for me. But good luck with your journey!
  • mworthen
    mworthen Posts: 11
    Options
    Lots of support from friends here and what helps me is to have my day planned out ahead of time. I find it easier to be prepared than to just up and decide at the time. I'm more likely to make a bad decision on what to eat. :). I love to encourage and support. Feel free to send a request. :)
  • slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have to remind myself that an hour is only 4% of my day, and a half hour is only 2%. Can I devote 2 or 4% of my day to extending my life and being healthy? Even if it's just a long walk with my dog, a quick trip to the neighborhood gym to lift, or kicking out a few laps in my community pool.

Yes, you have a busy schedule. I do too. But what suits your lifestyle better: finding the time now to make small changes, or at some point in the future no longer having that option?
  • sue4981
    sue4981 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ditto for me... I'm struggling with that "mid-life" metabolism and perimenopause and find it so frustrating that I gain even more easily than in the past. I agree with the other posts -- add friends on this site for support. It really does help.
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hey! I also tried to do this last year and fell off the wagon for about a year. Got motivated back at the beginning of April and have been going strong since then, and lost 20 pounds so far.

What's been different (and working so much better for me) this time around is actually trying to make it as easy as possible. I've set my goals to lose .5 lbs a week... I figured it would be better to be losing than gaining. This meant that, while I have changed up what I eat somewhat, it's been an easy adjustment with lots of wiggle room. I also started exercising slowly, without making big schedules and feeling like I had to stick to them or be a total failure.

The biggest change I've made, too, has been cooking at home more often. I used to do take-out and fast food for dinner (and lunch!) almost every day. I'm super busy and it seemed hard to make time for it, but once I looked at the calories I was consuming eating out I knew I had to make the switch.

These days I usually eat a frozen meal from Amy's or another whole foods, organic frozen meal company for lunch. It's not homemade, but it's fast and good and pretty healthy. Then I cook dinner most nights. I do have a few take-out places that I know I can fit into my daily calorie goals if I try, so if I've had a particularly rough or long day at work I will do that. But it's a backup plan now, not the main attraction.

As an unexpected but wonderful side benefit, in addition to eating better, taking better care of myself and the stress relief, creativity and joy that comes from making a good meal, I've actually been saving loads of money from my lifestyle before. And I've been buying almost all organic and, when possible, locally sourced foods too. It seems like a win-win.

Feel free to friend me or send me a message if you have questions. This is definitely not perfect, but I really feel like I'm making good sustainable changes that are making me a genuinely happier person, not just a healthier one.
  • ravenbard
    ravenbard Posts: 51
    Options
    I aqree with Rena... make some friends in here and you will find they will encourage you since they are doing the same thing as you are...which is trying to lose weight and eat healthier. You said you were NOT diabetic, so you will have more foods to choose from and can eat more carbs than a diabetic. Already, look at how many people have responded to your post... I see a whole lot of responses and they all want to help you. The most important thing is committment.. If you are committed to doing this, you will find a way and not make excuses. You will put action into your words and then things will happen for you. Another thing is do not be offended by some comment a person makes to you. They are only answering your questions.

Keep telling yourself... "I think I can, I think I can and it will turn to I KNOW I CAN"
  • Sushifish87
    Options
    I too am looking for more friends and support! I have restarted my weight loss so only 98lbs to go now but was lucky enough to keep about 32lbs off.