Eating healthy on a budget..

Options
2»

Replies

• nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I just read an article about a guy who lost a ton of weight buying his food at the 99cent store: http://health.yahoo.net/experts/yourbestfitness/99-cent-diet-could-it-work-you

If you have a farmers market near you, check that out for good, inexpensive healthy foods. Lots of times if you go at the end of the day, vendors will discount their food further because they don't want to haul it all back.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add: I know that as her mom you probably don't want her to feel deprived, but she really does not have to eat foods made specifically for gluten free people. That is to say, there are a lot of foods that happen to be gluten free that don't cost extra money. She does not really have to have bread or pasta or cookies, or pre-made gluten free snacks. Truthfully, none of us actually need to eat that stuff.

Also, make sure you shop around at different markets, if that's an option in your area. The cheapest produce around here is at a store that has ridiculously overpriced grains and dairy, and vice versa.
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the above responses.

Do you have a farmer's market, or something like it near you? We have a store here called Top Tomato, and it's a chain in the NY/NJ area. Their fruits and veggies usually cost 1/2 or LESS of what the grocery store charges. And if you find a local grown farmer's market, it's even cheaper. I haven't bought fruits or veggies from a grocery store in months.
  • SoberAlley
    SoberAlley Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Great ideas in this thread!
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. It's rough economy wise for a lot of us. I agree with the person who said to look into bountiful baskets. The produce from that is very good and in some places you can opt for organic. During this time, if you haven't already, check into food stamps. If you qualify that will help you.
    Also, since you do gluten free, check out www.heavenlyhomemakers.com and www.hillbillyhousewife.com. Both have gluten free options in their recipes as well as eating healthy on a budget.
    Eggs, beans, and in season produce are fairly inexpensive. Cook from scratch as much as possible. Homemade soups, even during the summer months, are filling, healthy, and you can make them gluten free.
  • asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    ALDI IS A MOMS BEST FRIEND! I have a GF teen and feel for you. Aldis has lots of GF and the best cheap produce any were. .99 cents for a bag of spinach (love it) as my daughter eats 4 bags a week. Mullers has a new GF pasta at publix it was 1.39 a box and it taste yummy. Good luck. :heart:
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Great ideas. Keep them coming xx
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    But by the time I get my dghtr GF snacks and food (we all eat main meals GF but snacks are solely hers) we couldnt afford the needed fruits and veggies.

If you're buying processed GF snacks then they probably are what's killing your budget. Start making your own, or just handing out bananas for snacks. (Banana's always seem to be the cheapest fruit at the store). The most important thing when budgeting I find is to stay away from processed stuff and cook your own meals. All those snack packs, chips, cokes, juice, bottled water (not idea if you're buying any of this so this is just a general recommendation) are very expensive. You're generally better off shopping the perimeter, and buying the meats and veggies that are on the best sales. And if you are going to eat/cook soon you can buy the stuff that they're trying to hurry out of the stores because it's almost to it's sell by date, dented fruit, etc.

I agree with what others have said, shop the sales on fruits and veggies, potato and rice for bulk - which are also cheap, and especially frozen vegetables are really really cheap. Then get cheaper cuts of meat to up the protein content and you should be good.
  • jezama77
    jezama77 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love all the responses so far. I am challenged to make things from 'scratch' sometimes. My life gets so hectic and it is easier to make a Boca burger sandwich...but for a little extra time, I can have veggies and rice with beans. I tend to eat on the run too much.

When I get back from vacation, I want to follow some of the great advice from this thread! :)
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am challenged to make things from 'scratch' sometimes. My life gets so hectic

I tend to cook everything on sunday and just eat on it for the week. I will make something else if I want to or didn't get to it that day, but if you are pressed for time this works well. You can also prep things on on the weekend that you will be cooking or eating during the week (chopping vegetables, cut up fruit to just grab out of the fridge). This helps me loads!
  • NomNomMom
    NomNomMom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt every day & I don't know what kind of yogurt you buy but to save LOTS of money I make my own yogurt - it is SOOOO easy! I make it in a crock pot. It only cost me a 1/2 gallon of milk and I buy fat free plain yogurt as the starter for the cheapest, healthiest & freshest yogurt that is the way to go! I add some frozen berries or other frozen fruit in the bowl that I am ready to eat along with some stevia and then...YUMMMMMY!

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/10/foolproof-crockpot-greek-yogurt-and-i-mean-foolproof.html

You can cut the recipe in half especially your first couple of times you make it. It is so delicious!
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Do you have an aldi's some were around you? They have really good deals on fruits and veggies. Its also nice because most of there pkg foods say if the are gluten free on them. We are a family of six and we are completely gluten free have been for 18 months. My girls and i can't have gluten or red die, and i have one that can't have eggs or citric acid. I make all my beards, baked goods at home. The only snacks i buy the kids are rice cakes (wall mart has them for 2 dollars the girls like the chocolate and carmal ones) or tortilla chips.

Baking gluten free is very hard at frist but it gets easier.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Also i bake once a week and throw it in the freezer. Its easier so the kids always have snacks. I don't eat none of what i bake as i eat grain free and no refined sugar to keep my blood sugar down. It is so hard not to snag a cookie fresh from the oven but once the are in the freezer they are out of sight out of mind.

Almost all pkg GF food are so high to buy and not that good for you.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Frozen veggies. Make healthy meals and freeze them in individual portions. A garden.
  • Lila90
    Lila90 Posts: 27
    Options
    Eating healthy can be a bit more expensive to a certain extent. Especially in this economy. I'm a recent college graduate and live on my own. So i'm always on a budget. Here's what personally helps me save more money:

1. I buy my food from my local health food market; they're organic, non-gmo, & very budget-friendly.

2. I always look out for sales & discounts.

3. I buy organic frozen fruits/veggies & leafy greens; it's cheaper.

4. I'm VERY big on freezing since i don't like wasting food nor money; my FoodSaver = my bff haha.

5. I make my own bread (no knead), muffins, biscuits, tortillas, granola bars, oat flour, smoothie packs, then i vacuum seal & freeze them. I make any of them at any freetime. They're all non-time consuming & very easy to make.

Since using a vacuum food sealer, my food lasts 10x longer. I purchased my FoodSaver (v2244) on sale for $70 at Target ;)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Good tips