after work out shakes

Im looking for some suggestions for a good recovery shake at a good price. Any help is appreciated

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    One often overlooked method would be to just eat a regular meal after training which may eliminate the need for any sort of supplemental shake.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Why do you want to throw your money at a supplement company? There is absolutely no benefit from drinking a "post workout shake" compared to eating a meal made with actual whole foods, regardless of what you read on supplement companies websites.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Why do you want to throw your money at a supplement company? There is absolutely no benefit from drinking a "post workout shake" compared to eating a meal made with actual whole foods, regardless of what you read on supplement companies websites.
  • nyqueensguy
    nyqueensguy Posts: 100 Member
    Thank you. I guess I am influenced by the ads.
  • mewtwo500
    mewtwo500 Posts: 29 Member
    I like shakes because it's an easy way to get a lot of nutrients in a relatively small volume, which is nice if you're like me and aren't very hungry right after your workouts (I have been doing Insanity). I have been using MRM whey protein: I just add a scoop to half a cup of milk, throw in half a banana and some frozen fruit, and usually a handful of spinach and a tablespoon of ground flax. Some people just mix the powder straight with water or milk to eliminate the extra calories and carbs from the fruit. I consider it a small meal so I aim for around 300 calories per shake.
  • nyqueensguy
    nyqueensguy Posts: 100 Member
    thank you aigirl. That sounds like a healthy shake. I want something easy for right after I work out. I have been buying the ready to drink stuff at the gym but its expensive. I have been using muscle milk mostly. I would like to buy something in bulk to save money
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    I prefer to chew my calories. True recovery shakes have more carbs than protein. A regular whey powder such as optimum nutritions gold standard is pretty popular for post workout and is about .75/servingif bought cheaply, but to help with exceicise recovery the addition of something to the meal like a banana would be beneficial. There are other higher carb varieties of post workout drinks including the aforementioned muscle milk. BSN Syntha 6 is pretty popular, and darned tasty too.