Hi from Scotland

Options
Hi,

I've been on this site for a few weeks now and I've lost 12 pounds so far! I'm really proud of how well I've done just by keeping track of my calories on this site.

I am a little worried this week though as I had surgery last week (not for weight loss, but please don' t ask for details) which has really been causing me a lot of pain and discomfort, especially in the bathroom. I've been off work for the best part of a week and have been unable to excercise as much as I would like. I've also not been eating as healthily as I should either.

I'm really hoping I haven't set myself back too much as a result of all this when I weigh myself on Wednesday. Does anyone have any advice on what to do if I have?

Nate

Replies

• Katy213
    Katy213 Posts: 45
    Options
    Don't worry about it too much and don't try to push yourself while you are recuperating! I would still try to eat as healthy as possible but obviousy not exercise until you are well enough. I'm sure its frustrating while you have done so well to date, but your health is more important and you will set yourself back further if you try to do too much too soon. Good luck! :smile:
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    First thing is relax. Your body needs calories and rest to mend.... Body repair expends calories and works the metabolism.... so eat as smart as you can, try not to go crazy.. .... but don't stress over it.... The stress over it will lead you to stress eat. Then when you have recuperated pick up the exercise and you will do great.. Also... while you are recuperating there are ways to expend energy. Since I think I know what your surgery was, I will try to suggest a few that won't bother you. First.... you can do arm lifts, circles.... or anything like that... also.... use a light 1~ wt and do a little arm strength training. you can do foot circle, dorsiflexion and plantar flexion , head and neck rotations and resistance.... They all burn calories... increase strenght and flexibility.
    Best wishes Take it easy.... and be healthy
  • nicoledc
    nicoledc Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi there Nate ! Good for you on your weight loss. Just take it easy until you are able to get back on track. Are you able to walk? If so I read an article that said if you can get 30 minutes of walking in a day that's good enough - the best part is you can break it up thorughout the day - 10 minutes in the morning, 10 afternoon, 10 evening, or 20 in the mornng, etc. You get the picture - whatever you can do. If you can't do that don't worry about it until you are up to getting back to your routine. Hope you feel better soon - and welcome ro the site !
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I had surgery 6 weeks ago which slowed me down considerably, but didn't stop me. Think of this as a lifestyle change and not a diet. If you gained weight, so be it, just make better choices and continue on. I think the tendency is to say, I can't do this, this isn't working and quit when you have set backs. But you can do it and by logging everything you should be able to see what happened and not repeat it. Resting is important after surgery and good nutrition is vital to heal. Best of luck on your continuing weight loss.