Looking for new workouts/ activities

Options
2»

Replies

• nschweiker
    nschweiker Posts: 19
    Options
    Oh also.. about the 5k.. I ran my first one with no training only myself no c25k etc. i did interval training and worked upto 7mph jog for say one min and then 9.5mph run for 30 sec 3 sets.. then increased only my run to 45 sec 3 sets and then 1 min 3sets so took my about 25min or so.. sometimes id run at 7mph for a like 5 -10 min after intervals to get 30min 35 min in.. did this 3 days a week and lifted 5 days a week full body and core.

I ran my first 5k at 24.36.

oh yea also im 5'5" at 177 so far from being a small guy running like 98% of the ppl there.

C25k is interval training pretty much. You just alternate between running / walking for 30 minutes. I'm doing it mostly to build my stamina, because I can run just not for very long. The 5k will happen, but probably in a couple months I haven't planned it yet.

My focus is to keep things interesting at the moment so I can maintain being healthier. I really don't want to fall back into old habits.

I don't think being small impairs your ability to run btw, haha. The fastest kid in my high school was 5'4''. I think its all about stamina and endurance. But congratulations!
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    lol what i was saying is that almost every runner out there remotely near my height was about 130lbs. Im familiar with the c25k its good for starters i guess but seemed like the progression was way slow.

I know ppl doing it and i advise them to push themselves a bit harder..

I tried the 10k program and i ended up talking to the trainers because i wasnt getting enough workout... they advised its just a cookie cutter program intended for ppl basically completely out of shape to get going.

You dont look like you fit that model.
  • nschweiker
    Options
    summer is here get out side... walk, run ,swim .bike ride, hike canoe, water ski... gardening good for your mind as well as your body if you don't have one find a community garden or help an elderly neighbor... for me changing it up seasonally helps...
    thank you, these were the kind of idea I was looking for.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry i misunderstood your goals or what you were asking.
  • nschweiker
    Options
    lol what i was saying is that almost every runner out there remotely near my height was about 130lbs. Im familiar with the c25k its good for starters i guess but seemed like the progression was way slow.

I know ppl doing it and i advise them to push themselves a bit harder..

I tried the 10k program and i ended up talking to the trainers because i wasnt getting enough workout... they advised its just a cookie cutter program intended for ppl basically completely out of shape to get going.

You dont look like you fit that model.

Yea, I mean I would say I'm at a moderate fitness level at the moment, but I only started working out about 6 months ago. I can't run long distances,but I see what you mean it does start a little bit slow.

I didn't think 177 was heavy for that height, for a guy. But I guess runners do tend to be on the thinner side so now I see what you mean.
  • nschweiker
    Options
    I'm sorry i misunderstood your goals or what you were asking.

No worries, any suggestions help!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Check out Stronglifts, Starting Strength, Wendler, and NROLFW. figure out which you'd like to do and stick with it :)
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    summer is here get out side... walk, run ,swim .bike ride, hike canoe, water ski... gardening good for your mind as well as your body if you don't have one find a community garden or help an elderly neighbor... for me changing it up seasonally helps...

no thank you, I took my own advice and while doing my circuit yesterday I saw a few kids tossing a football and asked them to toss it to me it was great fun and forced me out of my comfort zone... as I was walking away I heard one of them say that was cool.. my arm is a bit sore today but it brought back that feeling of fun and joy we have as children when being active was natural and fun... rain here today perhaps I won't forgo my walk just add in some puddle jumping... :)
  • nschweiker
    Options

no thank you, I took my own advice and while doing my circuit yesterday I saw a few kids tossing a football and asked them to toss it to me it was great fun and forced me out of my comfort zone... as I was walking away I heard one of them say that was cool.. my arm is a bit sore today but it brought back that feeling of fun and joy we have as children when being active was natural and fun... rain here today perhaps I won't forgo my walk just add in some puddle jumping... :)

I feel you, I think this is the first summer in years that I plan to actually take advantage of the nice weather and do something other than sit in the AC!
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    glad to hear you will be out enjoying the great outdoors this year..

let me know what your first activity is...
  • mbagradstudent
    Options
    Kettlebell kickboxing. It helps tone the body really well. The initial investment is about $80 between the dvds and kettlebell but I think it's worth it. It helped me shed some inches and worked different muscles. I also do the elliptical often, bike, yoga, and strength train.