How much do macros REALLY matter?

Options
I'm always within my target for fats, protein, carbs, etc. but it's usually pretty difficult to stay within these limits every single day. Now I know there will be some days when you're over, and some when you're under, and that it's important to look at your macros on a weekly basis instead of a daily basis, but when it comes down to it: how much do they really matter when it comes to weight loss?

I understand everyone has different circumstances (cutting, bulking, vegetarianism, diabetes, etc) but for an average person like me, who simply wants to lose weight and tone up, should I really pay as much attention to my macros as I do to my calories?

Replies

• jennagoogles13
    Options
    Anyone?
  • mshopey
    mshopey Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know what people think too.
    Everyone is always saying how important they are.
    But i literally don't look at anything other than calories, cause that's the most important thing, right?
    x
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yes, you should pay attention to them...

It is pretty tough to hit them exactly each day, so I try to make that I am in my percentages for the week ...

what is toning?
  • scottstephens79
    scottstephens79 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you are at your calorie goal and still feel healthy then I'd say you are right on track. I'm only half way to my goal and I too consider myself to be an average person who eats average to meet his calorie goal. From what I've read in the forums, you only need to pay attention to macros and further nit-pick your foods only if you wish to get super lean/ripped or have health issues. Just my two cents.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some specific goal involving them, I wouldn't worry about it. Eat a variety of healthy food, and you'll be fine.

I don't even have mine displayed. I display fiber, minerals and vitamins instead.
  • fionahay
    fionahay Posts: 44
    Options
    I pay attention to both calories and macro's as I am trying to go from almost 'skinny fat' to toned with a lower body fat %. My macro's determine what I snack on, and I kind of follow an 'if it fits your macro's' type diet.

I'd really like to hear opinions on this, though!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    How macro's effect someone's goals are based on the success of those goals and the macro percentages have only tagged along for the ride. Basically success determine macro's, not the other way around.
  • Vicko25
    Vicko25 Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm not an expert sorry :( but I think if you want to lose weight and tone up you will want to track in your calories, fats and proteins mainly, I don't know about your situation but let's say if you want to actually lose fat and gain some muscle to tone up you will want to eat less fats and enough protein to maintain your new muscle mass otherwise you will be like skinny fat. I hope this helps :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    They are important, however, treat your protein as a daily minimum, your fats as an average weekly minimum and your carbs are variable.

Simplistically:

Protein: muscle retention (combined with resistance training) while dieting
    Fats: healthy body functions and hormonal balance
    Carbs: energy
  • TOPSmarca
    TOPSmarca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    For me, if I keep my protein above and my carbs below the recommended amounts I function better and lose weight better. I let the macros be a guide and then do what I have found works for me. I advise everyone to do the same!!! Do what works for YOU!!!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    They are important, however, treat your protein as a daily minimum, your fats as an average weekly minimum and your carbs are variable.

Simplistically:

Tagging
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    For me, it's important. I've set my macros so that I can be sure I get enough fiber, protein and keep my sodium under control. Those are the main macros I pay the most attention to. I feel that it's not just the calorie count, but the nutritional value of those calories. Not everyone feels the same way, but I don't think the default values on MFP are enough protein. Everyone is different, but I think I've found the sweet spot for me... I feel better than I have in years and am steadily losing weight and gaining strength/endurance.
  • xkarinadollface
    xkarinadollface Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I first started getting into the healthy lifestyle I just ate clean and made sure I am eating enough protein because without enough of it, muscle will have a hard time developing. I ate clean for a while without counting anything until I got very fit, but now I want to get more shredded so last week I finally started counting my macros but that's because I have a goal to get more shredded and I am pretty lean already.. I think if you are just looking to live fit and healthy, I say don't worry about it.. just eat whole foods and you will be fine. I managed to get in great shape without counting them, it's only when you have a certain goal you really want to reach and nothing else seems to work for your fat loss.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    For the average person... I don't think all that much... Macros matter more depending on what your trying to achieve.. If it is too hard for you to stay on target, and you don't want to be keeping track of macros the rest of your life, I think it's better to just eat foods that are good for you instead.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Simplistically:

I follow this approach, and I feel better than when I don't.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Simplistically:

Because it bears repeating several times.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    what is toning?
    Basically just tightening up any softness and getting more muscle definition!
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    some say the body doesn't care about percentages but I personally think macros are very important and for fat loss go for high protein, moderate good fat and low carb.

To use an exaggerated example , if person A ate 100% protein over a month and another person B ate 100% carbs or 100% fat, both on the same daily calories at a deficit, person A would lose more fat.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I don't even look at them. I eat healthy and a I take a multi-vitamin. As an average woman, as long as your body isn't protesting (i.e. fatigue, losing weight too fast, etc.) they aren't all that important...at least IMO. :)
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Macros are more important to me than overall calorie counting. 10% Carbs, 20% protein and 70% fat is the only way I lose at a decent clip and maintain reasonable insulin levels.