Gym or Home Fitness DVD's?

Options
Ok, so I'm pretty new to taking workouts seriously.. so, according to past experience, what's more effective- working out at the gym (treadmill and weight training equipment) or doing home videos? I've tried 30DS, NMTZ, AND BFBM by Jillian Michaels. I need to lose as much weight as possible in one week so the faster the results the better. Thanks :)

Replies

• Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Why the one week rush for significant loss? I don't support that lifestyle so I can't comment on that..... Most on here won't advise any "rush weight loss" either
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    That's a very individual thing. I do better working out at home because the gym is too far away to be convenient. When I lived closer to a gym, that worked best for me. Which is easier for you to hold yourself accountable to, getting out of the house or doing the workouts in your own space? Will paying for a membership be more of a motivator? Do you have the required equipment at home? Just some things to think about.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I choose home. I hardly had time for the gym, but if I have even 10 minutes to spare...I can workout right at home.

I'm doing the DVD thing right now. It's working for me. :3

I do miss the variety of equipment at the gym though. If you hate to run, there was the cycling machine. Free weights were endless and cheaper to pay a membership for over buying some. Etc.

Good luck!
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I choose Gym. I struggle to get motivated at home and its easy to not do it. Gym, However, I plan when I am going and stick to it. Next week I am going tomorrow at 9:30am (after school run), Tues at 6am, Weds about 8pm, Thursday off, Friday 6am, Sat 7:30am and sunday off.

If I tried to do that at home I would get distracted by stuff that needs doing, the baby wanting to play and for the early starts, staying in bed :laugh:
  • pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do both. I have a treadmill @ home with a speed interval program that I like. For some reason, I don't like the treadmills at the gym even though I do use them for warmup and cool down. I have DVDs for abs, legs, new york ballet workout (which I love) which provide variety when I need or want it. I also have a pool so I like to do calisthenics using the water as resistance such as walking with my feet flat on the ground (it's hard because the water wants to lift you), lunges, jumping jacks, swimming on my back, etc.

My gym is two miles from my house and on the way home from work so I don't have to go out of my way to get there. I would like to try some of the classes but I work late hours so they're usually finishing up the last class about the time I get there during the week.

The most important thing is to do what you enjoy the most because you're more likely to stick with it. For me, variety is key.
  • nrsblc
    nrsblc Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Gym never worked for me in the long run, and now i enjoy being shredded with Jillian! Great results even in 16 days!
  • kriggs76
    kriggs76 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Gym. Bottom line. If you work out at home there are so many distractions. Take that one-two hours for yourself. You deserve it. I have to frown on the fast weight loss you are seeking though, that is not a healthy way for your body. But to answer the question on hand; Gym.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Gym - I find I am more motivated being around people who are working out. By same token, I prefer to run/walk in the park where there are others.

I hate it that they are faster and fitter than I am - I just tell myself they were here once and I need to just be consistent.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Home!! In 2 min I can be ready for a run or do an hour long DVD. It takes 60 min max. When I went to a gym it took 2 hrs minimum with travel so for me home is much more convenient and ill stick with it.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Depends what you need for motivation! Personally, when I go to the gym, I'm so motivated by not wanted to look silly in front of others, that I try really hard. Because I know that, even if I look silly, I don't feel silly when I bust my butt. I personally don't have enough willpower to stick to an at-home program with nothing but my brain to keep myself accountable! But it's all individual! The group classes at my gym also make me excited to go, I love the instructors / classes! :)

Maybe try an at-home program first if you're concerned with saving money. :)