DATES

Options
Do we like dates? Are they nutritiously valuable? I have never eaten a date in my life and I bought a packet on a whim...they look...interesting but I'm open to new things :wink:

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Omg, no!! You never eat another person! NEVER!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Omg, no!! You never eat another person! NEVER!
    but...jennifers body taught me different!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    it depends.

do you like dates? can you fit it into your daily calories?

I have to be careful of nuts cause they are not filling and I can scarf down the calories faster than I ever do with a candy
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    They are food. Eat it and count it if you like it.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    full of sugar avoid
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    it depends.

do you like dates? can you fit it into your daily calories?

I have to be careful of nuts cause they are not filling and I can scarf down the calories faster than I ever do with a candy

wait are dates a nut? are they like a raisin, some type of dried fruit?

IN for figuring out what the heck a date actually is and if it's good for you and if so how people eat them?

I have always been intrigued by these at the market guessing by their appearance that they will taste like a cross between a pecan and a dried apricot. weird I think that, don't know why.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I find them to be amazingly delicious and can eat them forever.

That being said, they are quite calorie-dense. However, they also have lots of fiber and other nutrients. (:

I would say that they kind of have a brown sugar syrup kind of taste. They are more on the sweet side rather than tart.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The problem with dates is that they are supposed to be plump, juicy, and water-rich. Store-bought dates are almost always dried and dried fruits should be eaten in low quantities unless they are soaked. It's best to blend these type of dates in a smoothie. Eating them alone can be difficult to digest and may even dehydrate you. The best dates are harvested in California and Arizona in Feb/March. They are juicy, gooey, sticky, and yummy.

But, this is MFP after all, where sugar (even from fruit) is avoided like the plague. Just look at all those people in the Middle East who consume dates... they are fat and diabetic and spend countless hours logging information into an internet food diary.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Don't get the sad ones in the dried fruit aisle. The Medjool dates in the produce section are awesome!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Dates are excellent. Medjool dates are worth every penny.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Medjool dates are my absolute favorite food. Though they are 70 calories each, so I try to limit myself to two a day. They are well worth the calories. If it is not a medjool though I am not interested though, the other kind are dry and disappointing. I agree with suv hater, if you got anything other than medjool throw it in a smoothie.
  • hardlygraceful
    Options
    Honestly, I hate them. I know some people think they're really good, but they've always seemed like mutant raisins to me. My mom likes them with cream cheese though, so you could try that.
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    In the case of dates, the fier and nutrients benefits far out weigh the sugar ( fruit type, not the "White death!) LOL!) and make them worth the calories. Like good fats from nuts, dates can be a great candy substitute . Enjoy!!!!
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    They are a good sugar substitute.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Ppl make fruit cake out of them.
    Some ppl that eat fruit cake are what they eat.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I personally like dates. Great snack. So many healthy recipes for them out there. Also great in granola. I like them in place of chocolate.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Dates are awesome. They are nature's candy.

They are about 20 cals each and have carbs, but they keep your internals moving things along naturally as they are also high in fibre, give you a sweet fix if you're a candy person AND a serving is about 6-7 which is enough to fill you up. I buy dried dates and keep them in the fridge. If I want, I can cut them up and put them in my hot cereal to sweeten, or just snarf as is.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Dried dates do nothing for me. But Medjool dates are AWESOME.

They are REALLY good in oatmeal with chopped medjool dates and cinnamon. I make my oatmeal with almond milk instead of water for a creamier texture. Very good comfort food, but also healthy.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Well, for one, I am astonished there is anyone here who has never had a date before?? I have had them since I was a child as they were always around for Christmas (The Medjool variety). I echo the popular concensus that Medjool are the best, and the generic dried dates are to be avoided.