Fennel

Options
So, I've ended up with some fennel. Two of them (bulbs? heads? don't really know what to call them). And I have no clue what to do with them. I would love suggestions other than soup (my husband hates soups when it gets hot out, and I can't really say I blame him).

Replies

• seefyboy
    seefyboy Posts: 68
    Options
    Really not too sure. Guess you could roast them or something? Fennel isn't a very exciting food to work with :/
  • ess52
    ess52 Posts: 10
    Options
    My favourite veg. Slice it thinly with some orange segments, walnut halves and spinach. Makes a lovely salad.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    May I suggest throwing it in the trash? Haha. But really, people that like it often put it on salad. Because they like their entrees to taste like licorice.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    May I suggest throwing it in the trash? Haha. But really, people that like it often put it on salad. Because they like their entrees to taste like licorice.

I actually like licorice!
  • kittyhasclaws
    Options
    My favourite veg. Slice it thinly with some orange segments, walnut halves and spinach. Makes a lovely salad.

Ooo... Might have to snag some oranges to try this. I'll swap almonds for walnuts, though...
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

I actually like licorice!

I do too. I'm just weird. Hate fennel, love licorice. Hate raisins, love grapes. Just strange.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    OMG, I love fennel. Cut the bulb into slices, steam it until tender, either by itself or with similar slices of jicama, serve with butter and coarse-ground black pepper. Cut the ferny leaf parts and add raw to salad.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love fennel. I do often put it in soup, but if that's not for you, definitely try it sliced thinly in salads or roasted - a little olive oil, salt, and pepper should do the trick for roasting.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I love fennel! Roasted is great. I also use it with fish. I make baked cod with diced tomatoes, fennel, kalamata olives and a little herbs de provence.
  • kittyhasclaws
    Options
    OMG, I love fennel. Cut the bulb into slices, steam it until tender, either by itself or with similar slices of jicama, serve with butter and coarse-ground black pepper. Cut the ferny leaf parts and add raw to salad.

I actually have a jicama in the fridge, too... Hm... Might have salads for a few nights with these suggestions.
  • ess52
    ess52 Posts: 10
    Options
    I just had to google "jicama" (I'm in England). Sounds good!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    This was seriously good, but isn't such a summer recipe: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/apple_fennel_roasted_pork_tenderloin.html
  • Oriole15
    Oriole15 Posts: 58
    Options
    You can have it raw in salads, slice thinly or dice. I like it with lambs lettuce and a bit of walnut oil and lemon juice.

You can also slice it can cook it on a griddle pan, you can brush it with a tiny bit of olive oil if you like the taste before putting it on the hot griddle. Doesn't take long. It goes very well with fish.

You can also add it to tomato sauce (at the stage where you would sweat the onions and celery) or ratatouille (it makes a bit of a change to the traditional one).
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I slice it, toss it in a pan with olive oil, cook for 5 minutes then add cherry tomatoes, noodles, splash of balsamic vinegar and a little steamed salmon or chicken. Tasty!
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    i'm on a big breakfast green smoothie kick right now myself - i wonder, at the mention of the flavor it gives off...if it might go well in a smoothie?
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    slice the bulb thinly, no fronds. put them in a baking dish, dot with butter and sprinkle with parmesan. Yummy.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    We love this recipe (seriously, my husband sometimes asks if we can buy fennel to make it), and it's easy enough to throw together after work. You can use regular lemons if you don't have meyer lemons around.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/dinner-recipe-roasted-chicken-139854
  • kholcomb51
    kholcomb51 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    For something different, I've roasted chopped fennel and mashed it in with potatoes. When it's cooked the flavor is more subtle. Also good, trim, slice lengthwise in half or quarters (depends on how big), boil with sliced lemons, then drain and bake with olive oil and parm on top till a little brown on top. One more, trim and shave fennel as thin as possible, shred carrots, mix together with lemony vinaigrette.