I may be nearly 60 but want to give it ago all help needed

Options
mosy04
mosy04 Posts: 16 Member
Had a good day for my first day . How did u go ;-)

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Hi! You can add me as a friend. I'm female and will be 60 in January. I lurked for a long while then on 5/19/13 got brave (fed up with fat) and started logging calories and walking. 10 pounds of my 60 to lose are gone as of today. I weigh every Sunday. My "ticker and badge" are not accurate but I am -10. Hooray. I'm here everyday so can provide encouragement. I eat real food, stay within my calories and walk at least 60 minutes each day. It's working so far. I know it'll get a little tougher as I go on so would appreciate encouragement along the way.

ETA: Wow!!! I just now saw that my ticker and badge are updated Lost 10. 53 to go. Exciting!!
  • greattimes
    greattimes Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You can add me as a friend. I started at 60 and was diagnosed last August with high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. I started Sept. 1 dieting and exercising. I am within 5 lbs. of my goal of 125 lbs. and I am off all medication. So it can be done.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I will be 59 in less than 2 weeks and have done pretty well although I am stuck in a plateau right now. But the last 10 pounds are the toughest, they say, May not comment every day, but will support as much as I can. :)
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sounds like you are doing Fabulous!!
    :drinker: Did you find the Groups for Ladies Over 60 or any of the other Groups that you might enjoy? I think there might be one for Crochet Fans?
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how old you are! It's never too late to make changes. You can do it!!! :)
  • tamani0727
    tamani0727 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am 57 and I have been having sooo much trouble losing weight- a life-long battle. I just started here on myfitnesspal and I must say that this is the easiest site to log on ever! There might be hope for me after all! Tamani:bigsmile:
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me as friend. I am 60 and found this site in Jan. I lost a bunch of weight last year but not in a healthy way. Since then, I have been exercising a lot and although my weight has not changed dramatically, my body has changed. I would like to get into the normal range of BMI. I am able with MFP to be able to control my diabetes through diet and exercise. My cardiac status has improved. I usually monitor my account daily usually after work exercise so, again please feel free to friend me if you need support.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    It's funny. I was sitting here thinking of how to word a new post. "Where are the baby boomers". "Are the 55+ the smallest group on the MFP?" So it's good to see others in our age group here. Of course, I think I'm still in the even smallest group. Men over 55+. I'm not sure I have seen other guys over 55. But it's nice to see anyone over the age of 55. Since the age thingy on the profile is broken we do have to self-declare it, don't we? I'm a 57 year old man.

I've hit my initial goal and have just lowered it even further. It's great to have achieved it. It's even better to be able to go to the gym and look as good or better than most of the 20 somethings, and to be able to outwork them. I am wearing a pants size I haven't worn since I was in high school. I'm about 8 months post total knee replacement, and I can do more, move better than I ever have in my life. I see my orthopedic surgeon 6 weeks from tomorrow. The last time he saw me was 2 days after I started my weight loss and exercise program. I am going to try to get to the new target by then, which will mean close to 50 pounds loss since he saw me last. I want to blow his mind with what I have done.

Feel free to send me a friend request. But it's great to see others in the post 55 group. Now if there were only other men around too. Maybe 3 Dog Night was right. One is the the loneliest number.

Glad to have you here.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Any time is a good time to get started with healthier living. Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm rapidly approaching 50, and neither of my parents got to 60 as they both had heart attacks and died in their mid 50s, so I figure it's time to get serious.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Now if there were only other men around too. Maybe 3 Dog Night was right. One is the the loneliest number.

Hi- I am Len, 62 like most men, it is likely fear of failure that keeps us from posting. Like many here, I have lost weight only to gain it back. Not much of a blogger= really don't like sharing my feelings, particularly if I am failing. Name a diet, likely I have been on it.

Been heavy all my life. As a kid I thought "husky" was a brand name! As an adult I look in the "fireplug" section.

I workout regularly, and while I hate running, I think I am above average in fitness for my age group. Definitely prefer weights to cardio. Hate to admit it but jazzercise used to be my favorite, that stopped when my wife found my spandex shorts.

Used to love cycling but had an accident in a parking lot and did a number on my shoulder- still haven't gotten back into it. Still a Ski Patroller - which is not easy in S Indiana!.

My hope is being more public will help motivate me. So hello fellow losers (this is the only place where that statement is a compliment)- I hope to learn from you, I hope that maybe I can encourage some of you, I plan to lose 30 pounds.

GodSpeed!
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Now if there were only other men around too. Maybe 3 Dog Night was right. One is the the loneliest number.

like most men, it is likely fear of failure that keeps us from posting.

Maybe the fear of making a fool of ourselves is the exact reason why we should do it. Of course, making a public spectacle of myself has never been a problem for me, But maybe being out there, being accountable, is what we need.

I've become a gym rat. I've worked with a personal trainer for years, I've worked with a registered dietician on my diet, I've consulted with physicians of all sorts. I've read everything I can get my hands on concerning diet and exercise. And I've been through the wars of weight loss as well. I'm not bashful about telling you what I think you are doing right or wrong. I'm not afraid to kick butt when needed, and but I'm far more likely to encourage you along the way, and I sure as heck wouldn't let anyone beat themselves up, especially when they don't deserve it (which happens far too often). I've got friends here who've tried that with me and it don't fly with me. Beating yourself up over failures or perceived failures only leaves yourself black, blue and tired. If you've fallen, I'll help pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get yourself back in the game.

And especially for anyone in our age group. There is nothing better than seeing people in our age group kicking the heck out of the young millennials in the gym. I love doing it.

So if anyone wants to send a friend request, feel free.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and half way to my goal of losing 40 pounds. If you are eating at least your BMR, you can send me a friend request. Good luck.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    Hello Boomers!
    I agree with all that has been said here. I am 60 and joined MFP last Monday. I love the site and the ease of logging food and exercise. I was doing WW but tired of being bogged down in logging points AND paying. I have had weight issues for many years, have been on countless programs, but losing and keeping it off is paramount now that I am retired..as of Friday, June 7. I refuse to sit on the couch with the remote in my hand. I do not want debilitating health issues down the road.

Connie
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Anything is possible with a little determination! You can do this too! Good to see the over 55 guys posting as well!
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I will me 60 next month, have a total hip (5 years). I am working to get off a few more pounds before I start running and training for next year's Sawtooth Relay, http://sawtoothrelay.com/sawtooth/home.cfm. I too have been looking for more friends in my age group, so feel free to add me.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I'm 64 and this is working very well for me. Add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • RamoZimm
    RamoZimm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking a bold step in the right direction. I'm closing in on 60 myself, although I find that hard to believe! I've made slow but steady progress since I joined MFP. Tracking all food and exercise has helped to keep me accountable but I would welcome new friends that will give and receive support. Not everyone can do Insanity or 30 day shred and live to tell the tale, know what I mean?

Ramona
  • clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Ahh here you are fellow boomers.I started MPG two weeks ago. I am liking it so far. This is my first post. Like some guys here I have become a gym rat.For the past two years I have been working with a trainer.as a lifelong couch gerbil, I have been amazed at how much I love lifting weights,etc. Through I have grown much stronger and lost inches, I still need to lose 50-60 lbs. I love being one of the few sweating ladies lifting at the gym. I am not great, but I go for it as much as possible. Now to tackle the food thing!