Stomachs & Sodas

Options
I believe I'm on the thinner side of average (I'm 120lbs and 5'6") but I've always had a little tummy. I've been a soda drinker for years and I'm convinced this is the reason my tummy's not going away.

I've been drinking a lot more water and a lot less soda, but I still have to ask: For those of you who stopped drinking soda (or began extremely moderating it), did you see an improvement in your weight loss?

Replies

• Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    That is why! You should be thankful aren't bigger than you are. I have family members who look 10 months pregnant, because soda was their only source of fluid!!
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Definitely! Quitting soda was really easy for me, and I found such a huge change in my stomach almost right away. I don't bloat nearly as much, either, which is a plus.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    That is why! You should be thankful aren't bigger than you are. I have family members who look 10 months pregnant, because soda was their only source of fluid!!
    Definitely! Quitting soda was really easy for me, and I found such a huge change in my stomach almost right away. I don't bloat nearly as much, either, which is a plus.

Well thank you both! I've been paying close attention to my body after I consume soda vs. water. I've noticed that my face swells up like no one's business because of soda! And how did you quit, if you don't mind my asking? Did you just quit cold-turkey?
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Quitting soda was the easiest 10 pounds that I've ever lost! Don't switch to diet, just cut it out altogether. I no longer crave or miss it.
  • kylamaries
    Options
    Quitting soda was the easiest 10 pounds that I've ever lost! Don't switch to diet, just cut it out altogether. I no longer crave or miss it.

Wow, that's great! Congrats!
  • junco1971
    junco1971 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Quitting soda has been really hard for me to do. It's proving to be harder then quitting drinking alcohol. I used to drink 5 to 6 24 oz. bottles of wild cherry Pepsi a day and am down to 2 but giving up those 2 is harder then I though it was going to be. I rely on it for the caffeine but also the taste.
  • Cairine63
    Cairine63 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was a can of coke a day drinker and now I have it maybe once a week. The only way I could stop drinking it was not to have it in the house. If it is in the house, it is hard to resist. I believe cutting way back on my consumption led to a shrinking belly - and less bloat!
  • kylamaries
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses! I'm glad you've all overcome it (or are overcoming it)! :happy:
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking regular soda and switched to diet and carbonated flavored waters, but on June 1st I pretty much cut those out too (My goal for June is 90% of my hydration will come from water! I couldn't decide if artificial sweeteners were really bad for us so I decided to cut them out for the most part anyway - can't hurt!) but due to TOM and only making the change about 9 days ago I haven't seen any results yet...but I'm hopeful! I agree with someone else who mentioned their cravings going away pretty quick though :)
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Oh man! I used to drink coke like crazy. Back then I would never believe that now I can go weeks without it and not realize it. I drink a lot of water now (about 14 cups a day) with the help of MIO and some crystal light. I know it is not the BEST thing but it is way better than sodas all day and my pee is extra clear! Now wine is a different story. I may never kick that habit lol
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    OMG this thread made me want a soda.

brb..............vending machine.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    There is no difference in my belly when I drink soda vs. when I don't drink soda.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Grew up on diet sodas - 2 + liters per day. When I started out on my own, and realized how expensive they were, managed to restrict the intake to 2 liters MAX per day filling in the rest with herbal tea blends. Then, when I started college this time around (3 years ago now) I lifted the restriction by drinking the Walmart brand sodas.

About 6 months ago now, I stepped off of sodas all together with the aid of carbonated flavored waters. I've since switched from store bought waters to home made - carbonator and sugar free juice powders - and am working on retraining my stomach to stay pH balanced without the carbonation. I still require at least 2 liters of some type of carbonation through out the day or my stomach turns REALLY acid/sour, but it is much better now about agreeing with me on just tap water with the powder mixed in. And, I can't STAND the flavor of "real" sodas of any sort now - much too sweet! (Even the store bought carbonated water is too sweet!)
  • brigit628
    brigit628 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I grew up drinking pepsi, and switched to diet Coke in my 20's thinking it would be healthier for me (no calories). I have been soda free for 4 months now, and i don't miss it! No sprite, rootbeer, diet drinks, only water, occasionally lemonade when I want a treat. I tried some of hubby's frozen coke today, and all I could taste were the chemicals. YUCK!
    Cold turkey is the best way, it worked for me, and I was a 4+ can/day drinker.
    Good Luck!
    As far as my stomach, hard to say, I have alot to lose yet.
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My cravings for sweets has vanished since giving up Coke on Jan. 12th. I felt like I could never get enough. I was always looking for something to eat. I began my journey by quitting the Coke habit and then in March I discovered MFP. What a difference a few months makes. I've lost 18 lbs. since mid-March and believe me at my age that's quite an accomplishment. The weight is very slow to come off. I still have a long way to go so I can't say whether my stomach has improved because of giving up the Coke, eating healthy or exercising (probably a combination of all three). But I have lost 5" from my waist. Good luck. The best way is to just stop entirely and definitely don't resort to Diet Coke. I'm trying to talk my hubby into giving it up, but he's not there yet, although he seems to be drinking less than he use to.
  • kylamaries
    Options
    Thank you thank you!! I believe I want to stop my current intake and extremely limit myself (maybe a small glass once every few days?). Hopefully if I increase the amount of time between glasses, soon enough I won't want it at all. To hear everyone's responses gives me a ton of hope; I can't wait to see if it'll help! :happy:
  • M5jdu009
    M5jdu009 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Dropping soda was the easiest weight drop for me--what I did was allow myself one a day, but just because I allowed it didn't mean I had to partake. It's easier for me to say "No, I don't want it" rather than "No, you can't have it." I guess I rebel against that "can't" lol! But I didn't keep it in the house, if I wanted my allotted coke, I would have to drive to a convenience store to get one, and frankly it wasn't worth the drive lol! Now, I pretty much drink strict water and tea (I'm from the south, that's my vice lol!)
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    No difference for me, flat stomach with or without my Diet Dr. Pepper and Coke Zero's. I drink em all day long and never have a bloating problem.

I don't eat breads, pastas, rice, or potatoes, maybe that has something to do with no bloating too, I dunno. I just never have had a problem with my stomach not being flat since I got to my goal weight, been maintaining for years now.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There is no difference in my belly when I drink soda vs. when I don't drink soda.
    This. I track calories. That's how I lose weight. I drink both diet and regular soda, and I stick to my goals and have no problems.

There's no magic bullet. If cutting soda causes you to consume less calories, then you will lose more weight. If it doesn't, you won't.
  • chelctate
    chelctate Posts: 9
    Options
    I've cut it out (almost) completely. I still grab a diet at a restaurants, etc but I completely eliminated it from my apartment. I noticed that I mainly crave the "bubbles" rather than the soda itself. I've switched to Glaceu's "Fruit Water" ... SO good! I don't even miss the soda in the house anymore!