Need help with TDEE

Options
Hi Everyone,

So I have been doing a lot of research on this forum (as well as other recommended sites) on calculating my TDEE - 20% to get an idea of the calories I should be eating to lose weight. I have just really started doing the calorie counting thing because I was on weight watchers before, where they figure out the "point" values for you.

Anyway, I calculated my BMR first, like suggested, and it turns out to be 1609. I then calculated my TDEE and that number showed up as 1923 calories (I should mention that I work at a desk job and my goal is to workout probably four times a week, but I am somewhat of a beginner again at the gym, its been awhile! :ohwell: ). After I got the TDEE number of 1923 I multiplied that by 20% (385) and then subtracted that from my TDEE, getting the number 1538 calories needed.

My question is, the number I got from 1923-20% is LESS then my BMR of 1609.....should I really eat 1538 calories or should I always be above my BMR??? Sorry, I know that there are so many topics on this (Ive read the majority of them) but I am really unsure of the amount of calories I need while still being able to lose weight. Any advice or helpful websites/tools would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    What did you put for your activity level when you calculated your TDEE? I would think you would need to categorize yourself as at least lightly active... if not moderately active, especially if you are planning on working out 4 times a week. Also, you can use this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ if you want, it does the math for you :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My question is, the number I got from 1923-20% is LESS then my BMR of 1609

yes, it will be. If you add 20% to your BMR for sedentary activity and then take 20% of the resulting bigger number off you will always end up less than you started with.

This isn't a problem, there's no credible science that says eating at, below or above you BMR is a particular issue per se

Your calculation is correct.