lentils?

Options
ok so I have had a bag of lentils in my pantry for over a month and I have absolutely no idea what to do with them...if any of you have some delicious lentil rescipes I would love to hear about them

Replies

• ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm not a good cook so I will probably have the simplest and maybe the most average way :P But I cook the lentils how it says on the bag (boil for like 20 minute?) Then I cook two eggs sunny side up and mix them up with a serving of lentils for breakfast. It's pretty good, but I love eggs when the yoke is all gooey haha
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Oh and sometimes I just sprinkle some onto my salads.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    I love lentils and cook them with chicken or plain in a rice cooker.

you need:

onion, tomato, garlic, ginger, serrano pepper, bay leaf, cumin, corriander...vegetable broth, olive oil.

Mix it all up and cook it on 'brown rice' setting, then thank me.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    lentils = food of the gods! There is really no end to what you can do with them. :o)
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love lentils! Cook a pound of them in the crockpot in broth with a diced onion, a couple of chopped carrots and celery ribs, and a can of diced tomatoes. Spinach or other greens are in season right now, and those are really good with them too. If you eat meat, add 1/2-1 lb of browned chicken or turkey sausage (look for a grocery that makes it in-house with no chemicals). If you don't, add a tablespoon of Mrs. Dash for seasoning. Happy eating!
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    I love this and just made some today in fact. I like it on basmati rice!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/red-lentil-curry/
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    lentils = food of the gods! There is really no end to what you can do with them. :o)

You have that exactly right! I love lentil soup, mujaddarah, dal makhani, lentil salad. Let me find a couple of links and I'll be right back.

I'm back. I would start with this. I like it cool or room temperature. Also, with the carrots and such finely diced. And green, red, and yellow peppers (also finely diced) go great in it, too. Enjoy!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mediterranean-lentil-salad/
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like Colombian-style lentils, I found a recipe online: http://stuartoswald.com/2010/08/lentejas-easy-lentils.html

My favourite however is dal. We usually use a mix of pulses but I don't see why you couldn't also try it with just one type of lentils. It's easiest with a pressure cooker.
    1 onion; 2 garlic cloves; palmful of cumin seeds; 1 tsp of ground ginger; 2-3 cardamom pod seeds; salt to taste.
    Fry onion, garlic, cumin and ginger - use a bit of oil and make sure they don't burn.
    Add a cup of lentils.
    Top up pot with water to 3/4 full and add cardamom seeds.
    Pressure for about 15mins.
    - This is based on an average 5L pressure cooker. If you don't have a pressure cooker, then this would be a slow boil in a large pot or pan for a couple of hours until soft. Obviously, much quicker if pressured! Also keeps very well and tastes great the following days :)
  • happyfrogg
    happyfrogg Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This is my all-time favorite lentil recipe!
    http://www.kayotic.nl/blog/curried-lentil-soup
    It's not very "soupy" when I make it, so it's more like a stew. Also try it with sweet potato instead of regular potato-- equally divine.
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    Right now my favorite thing is lentil tacos. Cook green lentils in a rice cooker then when done add taco seasoning and a little water and cook for another 5 minutes. Scoop into taco shells (or on tortilla chips), add some veggies (I do lettuce, tomatoes and avocado) a sprinkle of cheese and some plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Amazeballs.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    put them in salads, stews, soups and curries
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    crock pot with pork
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Right now my favorite thing is lentil tacos. Cook green lentils in a rice cooker then when done add taco seasoning and a little water and cook for another 5 minutes. Scoop into taco shells (or on tortilla chips), add some veggies (I do lettuce, tomatoes and avocado) a sprinkle of cheese and some plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Amazeballs.

Lentil tacos?! That sounds terrific!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Bump if I may....
  • crystalmoore83
    crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the yummy responses, think I may have to pick up a few more bags of lentils so I can try them all out :happy:
  • psykins
    psykins Posts: 76
    Options
    This is so good http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6043676 (actually anything from that site is delicious!) When I make it I use basmati rice instead of millet, cucumbers instead of zucchini, and I add pine nuts to the pesto. I also serve it cold. LOVE.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    They make a yummy meatless taco salad. I take some cooked and add rice, salsa, salad, avocado. So good.

Lentil soup is tasty too.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Taco Style Lentils and Brown Rice. The recipe is from hillbillyhousewife.com My son loves it. We eat it plain sometimes, but most of the time we add shredded cheese and salsa and such, and make soft tacos or burritos out of it.
  • paleas
    paleas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you can get one of those packages of Near East rice pilaf, I'd recommend making one of those, and making half a cup dry lentils to go with it. Just follow the instructions on the box for the pilaf. For the lentils, boil the water first, then add the lentils and lower the heat to a medium low -- if they're at a low boil they will take about 15 minutes to soften. The spices from the pilaf will also spice the lentils, but you can also had some extra if you'd like -- common spices for lentils are cumin, garlic, salt, sometimes lemon pepper. Hope this helps!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Indian style combinations are really endless and fantastic over rice. It really doesn't get much easier than this one: http://www.omgveg.com/simple-green-lentil-dal/

And thanks for the hillbillyhousewife link...lots of good stuff there!