For those of you who dont have access to a gym atm...

Options
due to my current income situation I do not have access to a gym and some days I feel I wont lose if I don't go to the gym. However, I am walking anywhere from 3 to 4 miles and day and doing insanity with a mix of dance off the inches dvds/ hiphop just dance for the wii

anyone else not have an access to the gym...if so whatre you doing during your daily routine?

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm like you. I have access to a gym but I live 30 miles from it (very rural). I do walking most days and hope to incorporate jogging back in when I lose a few more pounds. I also do the P90X series or Kettlebell routines most days. My hope is to one day have myself a nice free weight set and a squat rack (money permitting).

A year and a half ago I weighed in the 190s. Be assured that you can do your weigh loss from home.
  • adairbrum
    adairbrum Posts: 68
    Options
    Walking ,7 minute workout on YouTube , 15 mins to great abs on you tube, aerobics
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I alternate my Jillian Michaels DVDs five nights during the week and go to the gym for step aerobics once a week. Love my videos though
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    My gym is in my home. I lift. I have a barbell, 2 adjustable dumbbells, a bench, a rack, and various plates of weights.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I lost over 40lbs doing no exercise. However, now that I'm in maintenance I walk 10-12 miles a week and I do Mark Lauren's strength training program 3 days a week for 30 minutes a time (from his book Body By You). It requires no equipment and I can definitely see results :)
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    No Gym for me as only one close is like $600 a year and as we paid last year and I barely had the gas to ever get there it was taken away from me,,, I use complete workout by Leslie Sansone that I found on youtube, along with pushing babies in the double stroller and riding my bike on Occasion when I can get someone else to push the stroller... I also like using my access to my Fit Tv on my cable when they use weights I use canned veggies. I use every resource I can and I found out that the local park less then 5 min from the house now has work out equipment that uses your own body as your weight system so looking forward to being able to use that once my hubby gets switched over to late afternoon shift where I can go in the AM
  • Stargrace2
    Stargrace2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of body weight exercises available out there.
    Squats, planks, jumping jacks, sit ups, lunges, bridges, calf raises, etc etc etc . Your body IS your gym.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was paying $50 a month for a gym until I realized I could do it just as well at home. I run outside, can do various dvds if the weather is bad, and have dumbbells I can use for resistance training or can do body weight exercises (squats, pushups, planks, dips, etc) for free.

Now I have a membership to a rock climbing gym, but mostly because it's awfully hard to climb in my house (can't imagine where I'd find space for a rock wall...) and the closest outdoor climbing is about 2 hours away.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone here has said, I have lost over 115 pounds and have never stepped in a gym. I have some equipment at home and try to get as much outside activity as i can(I just enjoy it more) You can do it. Remember Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens with exercise.
  • LeonitusCharm
    Options
    Fitness Blender has an excellent YouTube Channel and website with just about every type of home-friendly workout imaginable. Whenever I'm pressed for time or the weather is bad, that's my go-to source.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I walk...and walk...oh and started c25k....and for those "nothing is good if you dont heavy lift" people...I dig the bloody garden!!. My point geing....LOADS of ways of gettibg/keeping fit without using a gym!!...have fun...go enjoy getting fit :-)
  • BleedsCoffee
    BleedsCoffee Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    There's tons of amazing YouTube channels that offer 15 - 60 minute home workouts. Buy a pair of dumbbells and get to it! Jogging/running outside combined with strength training at home is definitely doable. Here's a few of the channels that I'm subscribed to on YouTube:

BeFit
    FitnessBlender
    KozakSportsPerform
    LivestrongWoman
    TiffanyRotheWorkouts
    ZuzkaLight

While some videos require a bit more equipment, I think creating a home gym of a couple of pairs of dumbbells, a kettlebell, jump rope, medicine ball, and some resistance bands (and anything else your videos may call for) is totally worth it in the long run.
  • MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't use a gym and never have. I do high intensity interval training at home instead. I am doing the ZCUT Power Strength DVDs now and I did the Power Cardio back in February. Both are great and don't require a gym at all!
  • runawayescape
    runawayescape Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • Donnaovercomer
    Donnaovercomer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com is an awesome website that have many videos of different workouts that are great!!
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Up till the last couple of weeks, I just walked for 45 - 60 minutes a few times a week or ran in place/danced in front of a good TV show with handweights (PBS My Music specials are awesome to dance to). Last week, I started riding my stationary bike again. Yesterday, I picked up an exercise dvd from the library. I will look up some of those YouTube channels. But can also go to Pandora.com and create a channel with your own workout music--whatever kind you love that keeps you moving.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    About a year ago, I quit the gym, took what would have been about 5 months of gym fees, and bought a starter weight bench and barbell for home, adding more plates as needed. And I run, walk and hike outside.
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I do strength training at home. Also like to do yoga dvds, and tapout xt mostly. And I walk a lot every day to as I don't drive :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    No gym here. I started with various Jillian Michaels DVDs and my dumbbells. A little over a year ago I started using Nike Training Club - free app for smart phones and full of awesome workouts. I've added heavier dumbbells as I improve (check photos in my profile if you like), and alternate three days of weights with three days of running (c25k program made a runner out of me). I also throw in 20 minutes of JM's Kickbox FastFix on non-run days as well.