Gave up caffeine last week as step 1. All soda this week.

Options
I have 5 kids. I need to lose 45 pounds. I look forward to being on here.

Replies

• butterflycutie1
    butterflycutie1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    t's hard but I lost 45 lbs in 18 months. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • junco1971
    junco1971 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Giving up soda is proving to be really hard for me. It's harder then giving up alcohol. I am down to 2 24oz. bottles of soda a day as opposed to 5 or 6 that I used to drink but giving up those 2 I just can't seem to do. I rely on them for the caffeine as well as the taste.
  • diet4ga
    diet4ga Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a little caffeine can actually help with the weight loss. Good luck with your diet I am really finding this program to be very helpful. It has been slowly but surely with me.
  • OhKelsey1
    OhKelsey1 Posts: 139
    Options
    Giving up caffeine, huh? I couldn't do it, I'm a coffee addict. Giving up soda's a really good idea, though, and I did manage that. Good luck!
  • adairbrum
    adairbrum Posts: 68
    Options
    Give up soda , juice, whine, beer, cocktails , hard liqueur .........,.......,....but not COFFEE! I have a cup of coffee with 1/4cup low / no fat milk. And it's only 15 cals. No Daddy don't preach but I'm keeping my coffeeeeeee
  • mlady5279
    mlady5279 Posts: 5
    Options
    I am 180 lbs. when I ended up in the ER with palpitations that scared the heck out of me, I said no more. I drank sprite last week. This week I'm getting low cal gatorades to drink instead of soda. I've never drank alcohol so I don't know what that's like. But I like to drink other things. If I did drink alcohol I have a feeling it wouldn't be pretty. Haha. So I want to deal with this first and start walking everyday. I'm 34 and want to feel good about myself again.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options

Thanks to Spark I haven't had coffee in over 2 months (getting close to 3).
  • mlady5279
    Options
    I don't do coffee. I gave up specifically Cokes, but all sodas with caffeine. So this week, no sprite.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Why did you give up coffee?
  • onezeronine
    onezeronine Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I assume you're talking about the Advocare Spark stuff. You know that Spark is essentially caffeine and a multivitamin? As in, my daily cup of coffee and standard multivitamin gives me the EXACT same thing, except Spark has a bunch of artificial flavours and colours in it. Also it's probably more expensive. Which is fine, if that's your thing and it works for you, but don't think you're doing your body any more favors than us lowly coffee drinkers are.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Caffeine
    Caffeine, what some would call the "active ingredient" in coffee, is at the heart of many of its weight-loss properties. Coffee contains about 100 to 150 mg of caffeine per 8-oz. serving, which is why many people drink it to boost their energy in the morning and throughout the day

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/512034-does-drinking-black-coffee-burn-fat/#ixzz2VlMWFvR9

Soda Makes You Fat (Even Diet Soda)

High in calories, soda has no nutritional value whatsoever. They contribute to obesity as well as diabetes, tooth decay and weakened bones. They have also been linked to depleting the body of vitamin A, calcium and magnesium--all nutrients needed for healthy weight loss. Consuming soda also has a profound effect on the taste buds. Some research suggests that soda, even diet soda, can actually make you feel hungrier given the artificial sweeteners that signal the brain to crave extra food. This can make losing weight a lot more difficult. In addition, according to a study by the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, diet soda actually enhances weight gain by as much as 41 percent.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/want-to-lose-weight-fast-cut-out-soda-from-your-diet.html#b

So basically, it is not the caffeine that is the problem, it is the soda!!
  • Matt82007
    Matt82007 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good job. Getting off the caffeine is the hard part. For giving up non caffeinated drinks, it's just a matter of continuing to drink water until you prefer it. I'm currently cycling off caffeine because the last time I tried to quit cold turkey it was like coming down from heroin. (Not that I have any personal experience with that one) Now I'm on four cups of coffee a day and still getting mild withdrawals. Next week I'll be onto caffeinated soda, then just water. I expect to make an exception to the just water bit on my upcoming birthday, but it won't be my normal rum & Coke/Jagerbombs. Something without caffeine.
  • fit4me1111
    Options
    I also like to give up things each week that I know aren't healthy for me. I am pretty impressed you have up caffeine, that will be one of the last things I give up ;) Today I used the last of my coffee creamer so tomorrow it will be cold turkey. My caramel machiatto is my crack but it also keeps me from eating a healthy breakfast. Here's to no more crack starting tomorrow! ;) Best of luck with your goals!
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options

I assume you're talking about the Advocare Spark stuff. You know that Spark is essentially caffeine and a multivitamin? As in, my daily cup of coffee and standard multivitamin gives me the EXACT same thing, except Spark has a bunch of artificial flavours and colours in it. Also it's probably more expensive. Which is fine, if that's your thing and it works for you, but don't think you're doing your body any more favors than us lowly coffee drinkers are.

Actually it is not more expensive, but that's ok. Never once said coffee drinkers were lowly. Geez people really need to get over themselves.
  • 25sherry
    25sherry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I had to go cold turkey off the coffee too! Broke my coffee pot and decided that was it, not buying another one and starting my day with coffee loaded with creamer. I still have a couple of diet sodas during the day though.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda and Ice Coffee cold turkey which i use to drink endlessly along with cordial.
    that in conjunction with getting rid of 90% of "junk food" and exercise minimum 6 hours a week was a great way to lose weight fast
    16.5Kg's in 14 weeks so far roughly.

You don't need to give up caffeine altogether, like Wine they say 1-2 cups a day is perfectly healthy and actually beneficial to lowering the risk of heart disease amongst other things (depending on how much caffeine you put into that cup ofcourse) but certainly no more then that.

If you need secrets on how to kick the habit, it's just willpower. When that little voice tells you you want it, tell it to piss off and go bug someone else ;P and don't buy the stuff then you can't get tempted, which in turn saves you alot of money too. I reckon i've been saving about $100 a week (Australian) in just Ice Coffee and Junk Food alone.

Almonds/Walnuts and dried fruits can give you the same energy kick and are alot better for you filling you up for longer..

Hats off to everyone in this post that has given or is trying too, I am strong willed when i want to be but there's some stuff i can't kick aswell. So i do know the feeling
  • mlady5279
    Options
    I did today with NO soda at all. I had water and about three low cal gatorades. Argued with the hubs tonight and normally I'd reach for a coke. I made it through without doing that. I thought about it a couple of times. But the thought of going through caffeine issues turned me off. The Gatorade gave me 36 grams of sugar. But that is so much lower than if I had three 20 ounce cokes.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I'd keep the caffiene in general and just have it in moderation.

Switch to diet sodas. Majority of liquid intake should be water.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'll have a sip of my husbands pop in a movie theater but I gave up regularly drinking pop over 3 years ago. :smile:
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    It is possible to give it up!