Will crunches make my belly look bigger?

Options
This may have been asked before but I am someone that carries most of their weight in their belly. Will crunches during strength training make my stomach look bigger? I've heard that the muscle can start growing under the fat you have left to lose and make it look bigger. Should I just stick to cardio for now? Thanks in advance for your input!

Replies

• Matt82007
    Matt82007 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You absolutely should not just stick to cardio. With the amount of weight you plan to lose, building up the abdominal wall is the only way you're going to prevent a hernia. Also, keep in mind, that the amount of muscle you can gain is laughable in comparison to the amount of fat you can lose so the difference will always be a net negative.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I am somewhat in the minority in that I believe that women who are pear shaped and unhappy about it should be careful about using direct weight resistance on their lower bodies because they can end up looking bigger. I don't think think that's as much of an issue with the abdominals, but the fact remains that you have to lose the weight, and as you can't spot reduce you must keep losing weight until the weight there gradually comes off. Your genes, however, do play a role.

As for exercise, I'd try a mix of ab exercises and interval training cardio. But calorie reduction and losing fat are the most important factors.
  • Papojijo
    Papojijo Posts: 20
    Options
    no.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Strengthening muscle is NEVER a bad idea. Have you ever seen a woman with a toned stomach that looks bulky in the abdomen? Building your abdominal strength will not increase bulk in the midsection but it can help prevent back pain, improve posture, improve metabolism, and many many many other positives! Do both!

ETA: Muscle fibers in the abdominal muscles are not shaped like the muscles in the biceps, quads, etc and will NOT bulk out.
  • butterflyluv1218
    Options
    Also, keep in mind, that the amount of muscle you can gain is laughable in comparison to the amount of fat you can lose so the difference will always be a net negative.

Very true! Never thought about it like that. Thanks!
  • hardlygraceful
    Options
    Honestly, I probably do at least 500 crunches everyday, simply because they're easy and I feel like they really work for me. But I kind of carry my weight evenly throughout my body, so I'm not sure of the effect they would have on you. If you don't want to risk it, do cardio along with crunches. Then you'll be burning off the fat while building the muscle!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    No.
  • butterflyluv1218
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. :) I feel a lot better about doing them now. :)